BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The yellow engine warning light came on today while I was driving normally, my '02 has only 28,000km on the clock and while the light was on, the car feels and runs perfectly normal... Even at idle it was very stable. The light went out after a while, is this something I should be concerned? All it says in the menu is "emission control problem", anyone has any idea why it just came and gone :(

·
Registered
283 Posts
Mine did the same a couple of days ago, the SES [engine] light came on my 2001 with 38000km. But during which I noticed a slight performance decrease by about 30%, and the engine sound was not as throaty. The light was on for a couple of days, then shut off last night???. And, my appointment is tomorrow morning to have it looked at... should I cancel it?, as they may think im crazy. Can the OBC still report a fault to the service tech computer if the light is not on?

·
10,456 Posts
e60beast said:
Can the OBC still report a fault to the service tech computer if the light is not on?
Yes, if the ses light was on, there will be fault codes stored.
Mike

·
Registered
235 Posts
could be a loose gas cap (if recently filled up or filled up and didn't shut off car)

anything other than that is just GUESS... as there could be hundreds of codes that can be stored

get the code read

1 - dealer
2 - aftermarket reader

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will a loose gas cap cause this??? I just filled up the tank last nite and it happened this morning... I guess I'll check the gas cap to make sure!! Thanks!!!

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Larry's M5 said:
Will a loose gas cap cause this??? I just filled up the tank last nite and it happened this morning... I guess I'll check the gas cap to make sure!! Thanks!!!
Yes, it used to happen to my 540/6 at least a half dozen times. Had to have the gas cap replaced 3 times before the problem was solved:sad1:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Buy a code reader on ebay or at your local parts store; download the codes and reset the light.

My CEL has only been on once in my M5 (Vanos failure, way down on power, awful exhaust noise), but I use the reader on my 911 to reset the light everytime the MAF wire gets dirty.

Steve

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup, the gas cap is loose... Thanks for the input and fix guys :D And yeah, I should pick up a code reader too :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Larry's M5 said:
Yup, the gas cap is loose... Thanks for the input and fix guys :D And yeah, I should pick up a code reader too :)

you are welcome

·
Registered
283 Posts
Wilkie said:
When you guys are referring to the "SES" or "yellow engine light," are you referring to the "Service Engine Soon" light?
Yes, thats the one 'S'ervice 'E'ngine 'S'oon
I thought actaully the SES light was only on Canadian models, as that's what it states in the manual. looks like everyone gets it.
My car is in for service this morning to fix what sounds like, a clunking sound or 'box of nails' rolling around in my driverside B-pillar. And to look into the SES light.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmm.. After the light going away for a few days, it happened again today, so I went to have the code read, appearently, it's the left side O2 sensor. The record says no current going thru it at one point, but only once... The garage reset the code for me saying it could be just a one time thing, and that I should wait to see if it comes on again before replacing the O2 sensor.

If the O2 sensor has no current once, would the light keep repeating each couple of days? If not then why does the reader only showed one incident? Should I just go have it replaced anyway?

·
10,456 Posts
Wilkie said:
When you guys are referring to the "SES" or "yellow engine light," are you referring to the "Service Engine Soon" light?

Yes, in the US, we have a yellow light that says service engine soon, used to be check engine, but maybe that was a little too vague for us americans!
I thought the rest of the world had a little yellow engine symbol, but it sounds like canada has SES as well.
mike

·
Registered
638 Posts
Larry's M5 said:
The yellow engine warning light came on today while I was driving normally, my '02 has only 28,000km on the clock and while the light was on, the car feels and runs perfectly normal... Even at idle it was very stable. The light went out after a while, is this something I should be concerned? All it says in the menu is "emission control problem", anyone has any idea why it just came and gone :(
don't ignore any light coming off and on... my engine light flashed for a while (minutes) after having done some hard braking and with a quick engine restart, light never came on again.... and car seemed to run fine. dealer said don't worry, i insisted on a code check... check done and diagnosis - secondary air pump failed.... to be replaced under warranty!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've had my SES / Yellow Light come on from time to time. Probably 25 or so times in the last 18 months. When it first happened, I called the dealer and had it looked after.... (altho, it did go out before my dealer visit).

Dealer said it was an O2 sensor and changed it out at no charge. Since then, it has come on periodically / episodically.... I don't notice any loss in performance or power, tho. And... maybe I'm just nuts here, but it seems to come on more often when I really drive the car hard.

Soooo....Now, I just ignore it and it usually goes out in a few 'cycles of off and on'. This may not sound great to those that are concerned with some miscue in the motor, but hey, it's been like this for the last 18 months.

Plus, I hate taking it to the dealer for a couple days... catching a ride there and back or driving one of their Camrys (altho, the Toyota is pretty nice).

I must say, that it has happened more often when I refuel. But, I assure you, I ALWAYS make sure the gas cap is properly placed.

I think it's like my 'tire pressure low' and 'tire sensor off' lights that seem to come and go (altho, they may read differently than I quoted). The latest is 'check low oil level'. THAT I will check.

·
Registered
23 Posts
confused!

I have had the yellow engine symbol warning light come on today! In the owners handbook it decribes the fault/warning as Deterioration of exaust emission values, and recommends a visit to the stealer! (just replaced MAFS. goes like a rocket but lumpy at tick over) think this maybe somthing to do with it!

I'm confused as previous replys to this thread refer to this warning light as the SES (sevice engine soon)
my light is directly under the battery light and not in the service light cluster!!

Can somebody clear this up for me? Sorry for being a muppet!

Fumesyouich

·
10,456 Posts
"lumpy at tickover" is the clue here. Sounds like a cam position sensor. There are 4 of them, a bit of a pain to access, back of the engine, in the heads, but not difficult to change. You'd need a code reader to know which to replace.
Mike

Fumesy said:
I have had the yellow engine symbol warning light come on today! In the owners handbook it decribes the fault/warning as Deterioration of exaust emission values, and recommends a visit to the stealer! (just replaced MAFS. goes like a rocket but lumpy at tick over) think this maybe somthing to do with it!

I'm confused as previous replys to this thread refer to this warning light as the SES (sevice engine soon)
my light is directly under the battery light and not in the service light cluster!!

Can somebody clear this up for me? Sorry for being a muppet!

Fumesyouich

·
Registered
50 Posts
ses

mottati said:
"lumpy at tickover" is the clue here. Sounds like a cam position sensor. There are 4 of them, a bit of a pain to access, back of the engine, in the heads, but not difficult to change. You'd need a code reader to know which to replace.
Mike

ses is the same as check engine (my ever litigating friends to the south use "service engine soon" as check engine is not specifc enough and it turn don't want the liability.

As Mottati said you need a code reader more specifically a "peake tool" It is by far the simplest to use with our cars and will save you a fortune ($100CDN a shot for me) in the long run. Now when my ses/check engine light comes on I pay myself $100 for the 30 seconds it takes to read the code and clear it.

Pick one up it'll be the bset money you ever spent on the beast!

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
GT4ME said:
I pay myself $100 for the 30 seconds it takes to read the code and clear it.
A great idea for funding all the mods!|

:)

A

1 - 20 of 30 Posts