BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It happened! It actually happened.

Cruising on the motorway today and the yellow and red cog of death flashed up. Joyous.

I pulled over to the hard shoulder and found that I could select gears, but they wouldn't engage until around 2500/3000 RPM, when it would absolutely bang into gear. I managed to nurse it to a service station so that I wasn't on the motorway hard shoulder (dangerous place to be). I left the car for around 90 minutes and started it up, fault gone! I had the car recovered home as I couldn't trust that it wouldn't happen again and I didn't want to risk it.

It has been very hot today, but it was hotter yesterday and it was fine on my 60 mile drive. It was fine on my 250 mile drive on the day before which was also a hot day.

The codes in ISTA are:

004FA0
00510D
00510E

Now I understand this to be the PLCD sensor, but what if it isn't? I thought that the PLCD sensor would either be intermittent, or fail completely?

Also, why would it be OK after the car has cooled down?

Does anyone have any thoughts? Wrecking my head this as at the moment I cannot feel that I can trust the car, and I need to be able to trust it as I have around 1k miles to do in it in a few weeks and cannot afford for it to break down.

Thanking you in advance.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Battery is fine, no codes. No warnings about alternator. That was replaced last year.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At least I had codes, but just can't be sure if it is plcd or solenoid. Plcd isn't that expensive, solenoid is.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No idea. I can get the sensor for £400 and labour is a few hours, but it's when the sensor arrives that is the issue.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've ordered the sensor so hopefully get the car booked in for fitting. I am going to do the SMG relays as well as I already have them.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Most likely, especially if you have PLCD with negative values, have you looked at the fault details or live monitoring for the clutch position by the software?.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No I haven't, I don't know how.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
If you want to diagnose this car you need to buy k-dcan cable and install BMW INPA and ISTA software.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have ista and inpa. Ista is what gave me the plcd codes.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Ok check the details for the values when the fault triggered and access ECU status>Analog 3 to see live data of the clutch position.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, I will have a look at the weekend!

The car knows I am planning to sell it which is why it is playing up lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts