BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I used to search but could only find threads regarding multiple codes. So today I took the beast out for about an hour and a half and as I was pulling into my drive way I got a yellow cog for 2-3 seconds and then it disappeared.. I read codes and the only one that came up was 510E.. after reading codes the car started right back up and I took it for another drive (about 20 mins) and the car was fine. I have had a cog 1 other time about 4 months ago that also went away. .. I think it was the red one that time. When I read the codes for that it was the 4f40 I think. But that one did not pop up this time. Only 510E popped up for me today.

my question is.. should I get it into a shop or keep driving until it actually causes me an issue?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
If it reoccurs, you might start with investigating/running a test on your PLCD and/or slave cylinder.

·
1,969 Posts
Random / brief 4F40 is sign of a tired pump motor. This matches your symptoms IMO.
4FA0 by itself is PLCD
510E no comments.

No harm if you keep driving just be aware it will eventually break down.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Quoted from JColley ... "510d/510e. Those codes are caused by an interruption in the signals from/to the PLCD. Nothing else causes those."

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From what I was reading there had to be a cominaton of codes not just 510E by itself.
Quoted from JColley ... "510d/510e. Those codes are caused by an interruption in the signals from/to the PLCD. Nothing else causes those."

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I took my car to the shop that did my rod bearings. He said that to do the PLCD he’s going to have to drop the tranny and said I might as well do the clutch and fly wheel if he’s going to drop it. He said he would only charge me $750 for labor, but all the parts I need would be like 3k so I’d rather just do the PLCD first, that is, if can find someone to do it without dropping the trans. I read somewhere on the forum that to do the PLCD you don’t have to drop the trans. What should I do? Car ran great for 100 miles there and back no yellow cog this time.

·
1,969 Posts
Show him the newtis instructions. No need to split trans/engine. If not... you need a new mechanic.

Honestly tho $750 sounds cheap for dropping the trans. I'd take that offer and replace/fix everything. SMG flywheel+clutch kit is more like $1500. Add an extra $500 for seals, fork, etc. Motor can be 'cleaned' and wiring on top must be fixed.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’ve looked everywhere for cheaper parts, even the sites you gave me awhile back Flaco. The flywheel they are selling for like 1300-1600 by itself. Am I looking At the wrong one. Can you point me in the right direction? I’d like to get it all done and over with if I can do it for 2500-3k

·
1,969 Posts
What sites are those? This is my diy list:

Just checked and I see
Rockauto
820 flywheel
491 clutch kit

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do you guys think that $900 total (parts and labor) is an ok deal to get PLCD sensor job done?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry to post again but I have an update. Took the car out for about 60 mile drive, car drive amazing. Was one of the most fun day’s I have had in it yet.

As soon as I get home just like the past couple weeks I get the yellow cog, and then tranny started to make this nasty grinding noise so I hit the stop button. Gave it a bit and read codes.. for 510E and 4FA0 I believe. When I tried to start the car again the Smg pump sounded like ****. It has failed and is not priming at all Glad it’s in the garage but it’s going to have to be towed to the shop..should I still do PLCD and obviously it needs an Smg pump. Do you have to drop tranny for Smg pump?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Skills said:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
More from jColley from the thread 4FA0 SMG fault...

"4FA0 was caused by the 510d/510e.

Those codes are caused by an interruption in the signals from/to the PLCD. Nothing else causes those.

No signal from PLCD -> no position information for clutch -> position deviation (4fa0)

Replace the PLCD and the 4fa0 will be gone."

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Car Is in shops getting PLCD and Smg pump done. I am doing Smg pump as well because I heard it fail with my own ears. Thank you for the jcolley quotes

1 - 20 of 25 Posts