BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car was a bit of a basket case when I got it in March/ April last year. Slipping clutch/ oil leaks/ suspension issues/ stereo hacked basically you name it but the motor ran great aside from a few codes. Clutch got fixed first then I buttoned up the stereo. Took if off the road in November to fix the oil leaks and wound up dropping a camshaft oil rail nut down into the galley of the upper sump/ pan -- what a F-up and project that turned out to be. Bearings were mildly worn/ useable but better off done while apart, same as the timing guides. I found a ton of botched/ fubared repair work by previous owners while digging in so I sleep better that it's all gone through.

Did a bunch more that would fill up a page but don't want to waste your time to read it. Finally had a chance to do the MAF L/hr test and got a corrected # of around 130 with 67k original mile MAFs and oiled K&N filters in there, needless to say I'm happy with that. Vanos are a little noisy (aren't they all?) but pass GT1 tests. No oil leaks now so I'm not dumping quarts of expensive "my preferred oil" in there every other week; after 2k miles it's dropped about a sixteenth to eighth inch on the dipstick which I'm attributing to valve stem seals.

An Italian tuneup at least once a week right before I fill it up with gas and it no longer smokes like a freight train on hard acceleration -- seems to be the ticket for me, burned off the combustion chamber carbon deposits and keeps em at bay. This isn't a $20k+ car, the interior is starting to show its age a bit and the bumpers need to be repainted but I'd line it up against any stock M5 and enjoy the heck out of it win lose or draw. Just want to thank everyone that put together DIY's or posted when I asked for help, this car still needs some minor tweaks but it's reliable fun and a great DD.
I'm an amateur photographer at best but I'll post a pic so I don't get flamed..

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Great write-up, Jimbotsi. It's good to hear about another aging beast getting resuscitated.

And good l/hr with an oiled K&N? Wow. That's the upside of the PO slacking on the maintenance.;)

·
Registered
968 Posts
Congratulations! Sounds like you've done a lot of work on your Beast and brought it back to life. Yes, these are great DDs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts