BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Xtrons PB7639BP Android Head Unit Installation

236K views 396 replies 63 participants last post by  Obioban 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Xtrons PB7639BP Android Head Unit Installation

So, it’s 2018 and it’s time for an audio/tech upgrade in your E39 M5. Let’s look at our options:

- Bluetooth add-on device (Mediabridge, Grom Audio, etc): These are a great way to add Bluetooth streaming (A2DP) and hands-free calling to your E39. They are relatively cheap & easy to install, do a decent job at providing the basics, and allow you to retain your stock OBC functionality. However, they do require the deletion of your CD changer (do people still use CDs?) and typically have some iffy functionality constraints due to the way they connect to the car. This also requires that all of your stock audio hardware is functional

- Intravee II + Alpine iPod module: This device was way ahead of its time and was at one point the gold standard for adding functionality to the BMW audio & iBus systems. Unfortunately, the lack of updates has made this option somewhat obsolete and relatively expensive for what little functionality it provides.

- Dynavin N6/N7: Dynavin led the way with plug-and-play DSP integration in 2014. Unfortunately, they’ve done very little innovation since. I could go on and on, but I’ll leave it at this – I owned an N6 for a long time and I’m not a fan, given the price point – particularly considering the $300 Apple Carplay add-on module, which makes the Dynavin a $1000+ investment

- BMW NBT Retrofit: This is as good as it gets. It’s quite literally installing the entire audio/tech package from a new BMW into your E39. As you’d expect, it’s a luxury car nice and very refined. Unfortunately, it’ll run you $2000-$2500, requires some custom parts to be fabricated for installation and is not something you can expect your local audio shop to install for you.

None of these seem right for you. What if you could retain the OBC, retain your DSP, and add features to your car via the iBus – with one device?

That leaves us one more choice: Generically speaking, the “Chinese-built Android Head Unit”

Yeah, yeah, I know how that sounds. I know what you’re thinking because I thought the same thing. Then I did a little research.

It turns out that the majority of these Android head units use the same hardware behind the fascia. Whether you have a BMW or a VW, it’s most likely an MTCD-manufactured board under the skin and that means they have made LOTS of these for the global market. The E39 is just a small sliver of the overall market for these parts and quality control appears to be relatively good. It also means there’s tons of support out there, even if it’s not necessarily BMW-specific (see xda-developers).

There’s also no shortage of brands out there to choose from, and chances are you won’t recognize a single one of the names in this market. Take a look on aliexpress and search for “E39 Android” and prepare to be overwhelmed. But, if they’re all essentially manufactured from the same base parts, does it matter which brand you buy? I believe it boils down to the support from the manufacturer and moreso the enthusiast community.

In my research, one brand kept floating to the top – Xtrons. I had seen a couple of positive threads about Xtrons on M3forum, but aside from that, I had never heard of them. It turns out they are very successful with the European BMW community due to the quality of the product, their support, and the fact that they have a UK-based warehouse (which I believe avoids customs fees when importing to the EU).

I decided to take the plunge and order an Xtrons PB7639BP head unit, running Android 6.0. At $289 shipped direct from Xtrons (via Amazon), it seemed like a manageable gamble. With some required and optional add-ons, I’m sitting around $485 total investment

[link no longer valid]

*note – Xtrons has very recently replaced the model above with the PB7839BP, which has more RAM and runs Android 8.0. I haven't used one myself (yet), but they should be very similar and the majority of this information should still apply

[link no longer valid]

Xtrons also does manufacture a 9” screen model (with no physical buttons) which is essentially the same internally as the model above. Be aware that the 9" is currently only produced as E53 fitment, so the curve of the unit does not match the E39 dash very well.

See less See more
#209 ·
My OBC time is up to date, not sure how / why. I've pulled the battery a few times, but it's always come back up. I think it's set via the head unit.

I pulled the stock DSP in favor of a small 5 channel amp. It's pretty easy compared to most setups since you are already running cables to the trunk. It *would* be interesting to see if you wouldn't bother with the full fakra cable to the trunk - though you'd have to splice in your plug up at the HU and then run RCAs and some remote power triggers to the back. My wiring job in the trunk is a hot mess, but it works.

The HU does have line level outs that are sent to the back of the trunk as part of the cable loom. You *could* patch into those and run an amp separately w/o new RCAs. You could also get some 3 way crossovers (from parts express) and use the stock speakers. In short, lots of options... but all somewhat messy.

Trying to see if the HU is flakey, since I've got a few bugs (mostly the sub out from the HU doesn't work all the time).

I also did the back up camera (ebay plug in to the trunk handle unit)... works quite well.

#211 ·
I didn't get the Xtrons finally, instead another Chinese brand which available to me locally, my car has factory TV-tuner, non-DSP amp, no Sat-Nav and 16:9 screen, I tested everything and it works beautifully and basically just plug n play connecting it to the BM54 connector. Ibus app working as well, but when I tried to buy it from the website, it redirects to PayPal but every time, PayPal says there's something wrong and I can't finish the payment. Email ibus but no response, anyone tried to purchase an ibus license lately and know what's going on?

Also, can someone explain in more details how the lately ibus works with MFL buttons and how to bypass the Canbus. Can't seem to find the info on ibus website and don't have it unlock to mess around with it yet... Thanks!

#213 ·
Still waiting for the Resler interface to arrive (My old Navcoder cable works, just don't want to cut it...) before will install the unit, but was playing around with launcher and found this one from XDA developers... It's not bad, but looking at ways to edit the icons etc. Any interesting and cool launchers you guys found?

Attachments

#214 ·
So iv had a good read, am I right in saying that once the dsp amp has been re coded to mid basis it’s literally plug and play? Or is there a wire needed to turn the amp on. Iv only had my M5 a week and really need to ditch the standard Nav setup. My car also has the 2 x 10” subs M audio I believe does that make a difference. Thanks.

#215 ·
I don't know if anyone has experienced these problems..

My reverse camera now doesn't show when put in reverse and i have lost one of my front channels leaving me only my left side speakers.
The speaker issue has cropped up before but i have gone into the amp settings on the HU and after adjusting there, i have got the channel back. Now it doesn't seem to want to play ball.

#221 ·
You need to switch the iBus app to "Garage Mode" before scanning the whole car, especially if you have any of the advanced features running within the app (daytime running lights, etc). Otherwise, the constant bus communication from the app really confuses the scanning software

#222 ·
Looking for some advice here, I recently installed an Xtrons unit and am not getting any illumination from the buttons. They will briefly illuminate when I go to select the color for them to light up as but then it goes away and will not come back on with the headlights.

Any idea on what wiring I need to do?

#225 ·
Check pin #13 on BM54 if you have 17 pins connector, or pin #14 if you have 4 pins connector... Pretty sure that's the button light signal wire. On my connector that came with the Android unit, a pin weren't locked in place and got pushed out when I connected them, had to push it back and lock it into place. That would explain why they lights up when you do color change and not with headlight signal I think...

Reactions: Rontgen
#223 ·
Those lights should come on via a signal from the CAN Bus box. Do your steering wheel controls work correctly? Check your wiring harness connections, paying particular attention to the orange wires

Alternately, you can hardwire the head unit's illumination wiring into the car's illumination circuit. Keep in mine the newer -BP models will not dim like the older -BAP models

https://xtrons.ibus-app.de/index.php?title=Tastenbeleuchtung_abdimmbar_machen

#226 ·
I don't have the CAN Bus wired up, the steering wheel controls also don't work but I'm ok with that since they didn't work before with the Pioneer unit either. I plan to get around to getting it all to work at some point but mainly just want the illumination to work.

I will probably just go ahead and hardwire it, but I'll check the orange wires first to see if they are connected.

#224 ·
Can anyone confirm if the IKE display options are working in the ibus app? It has PDC distance display option as well as lot of other options that I haven't seen anyone mentioned here? I still have the Intravee connected and won't be fitting the Android unit till next week, just wondering if anyone can confirm before I remove the Intravee as well?

#227 ·
This thread is fantastic. I love the possibility of having 8.0, even if I'd only use a fraction of these features (not interested in backup camera etc.)

Before starting my own question thread I wanted to see if anyone had heard of a OEM look unit with an Aux jack, or a way to hack an Aux into this HU. I know it's ridiculous but I have a Zune that has lasted me many years (still the best PMP ever made, IMO) and I want to avoid getting a 3.5 => Bluetooth Adapter if I can help it.

#228 · (Edited)
I finally got around to install everything, everything went smoothly, getting the harness to the front was much easier than expected and I had OEM BT module in my car so the OEM mic cable can be tap into from the trunk making it easy as well. The screw holes on the head unit doesn't align well with the OEM 16:9 monitor frame, will try self tapping screw and see, if not, might have to order the 3D printed frame... But anyway, having some issue with ibus App, can someone please share their experience?

1) I have several options checked for IKE display, the welcome message showed up, but the PDC distance display showed for a while and then just stopped. Uncheck and check the box, reboot, restarted engine, all the same, it just stopped working. Is it working for you guys?
2) I didn't do consumer shutdown, and I couldn't find any option for sleep/instant resume... So right now, with auto mirror folding checked, it would auto fold the mirror when I switch off engine, but would only unfolds when the head unit is fully boot and running and it could take up to a min after engine starts... Would consumer shutdown fix this?
3) Angel eyes DRL worked at first, and then just stopped... It would flicker left side and then right side once every min or so, unchecking and checking the box didn't fix it... Anyone else got this working?
4) Any good suggestion for the USB port location? Right now, just have it hanging inside the glove box and it's problematic when hooking up to the phone with the cable from inside the glove box...

Other than that, CarPlay, Android Auto, Miracast all working fine and I'm mostly happy with the unit... For now, I have the Intervee hooked back up to the car, DRL, PDC distance all working, but mirror folding seems to be hit or miss I guess affected by ibus app even tho everything there is unchecked... Anyone able to get Intervee and ibus app running together?

EDIT - Well, finally got Intervee working together with ibus app, DRL, folding mirror, PDC IKE distance all working. But for whatever reason, couldn't get ibus app to display track, volume etc on IKE, anyone have those working? And the OEM mic worked for a sec and then stopped... Checked all the wirings and all seems fine, had to unplug it and use the internal mic for now. And self tapping screws worked, sits flush and secured I think...

Attachments

#229 ·
got the unit installed but am a first time user with ncs expert/dummy so that's where i'm stuck. do you, by chance, have a step-by-step for using dummy/expert to edit the DSP settings? i can't even get ncs expert to read the car/vin/etc., though, i'm sure i'm doing something wrong...

i load revtor's expert, hit start, enter zcs and choose e39 (i keep getting prompted to enter my VIN but it says it's invalid so i just close the prompt), hit the chassis button and select EWS - but get an error. in fact, any of the three options i use there gets an error (ews/ike/kmb).

i'd really appreciate any/all help, this is the last thing i need to get my sound back! haha

#232 ·
If you have the Resler and Ibus app, codding is done within the app now as of V2.0 instead of NCS and is VERY simple compared to NCS.

It is outlined in the Ibus Wiki:

Coding of the DSP with the coding function of the I-BUS App:

Open the coding function (pull the left edge to the middle or tap the three lines on the top left)
Select DSP from the scrolldown and tap Read encoding
Set the following parameters
Polling Timeout: inactive
Controller: mid_basis

!!!Important!!!
Always switch off the ignition after coding - wait for a second - turn on the ignition. Only then is it ensured that the new coding is adopted.

#230 ·
Joined just now because this thread is a gold mine and I know I'm going to need some serious help with my install. For the life of me I can't figure out the Ibus app. I dont have a windows computer so can the app be installed via the headunit once its in the car? Also can the DSP unlocking through the app feature be paid for and all that via the head unit? Im definitely at a loss if I need a windows computer to do any of this. I can barely even understand how to wire in the Ibus USB adapter so bear with me here guys...

#238 ·
a friend of mine was able to make the DSP switch to mid_basis via ncs expert over the weekend but i'm still not getting any audio, oddly enough. is there anything else i need to do?

#242 ·
Yup, they work fine on this unit. I currently only have a backup camera connected and it automatically switches to that camera when in reverse. You can even have 3 cameras; a backup camera, forward view camera, and a DVR camera all hooked up at the same time. Someday I plan to have a FLIR camera for the front view.

#249 ·
Yes, it's called "Consumer Shutdown". See my posts HERE(scroll down to almost the bottom of the long post to where I quote and reply to ger) and HERE on how to do it. Be sure to read where I've posted the known problems you can have when using the Consumer Shutdown, before wiring it all up to make sure that this route will work for you.

#251 ·
I considered it at first but in the end, I went with the PB7839BP. Number 1, I'm pretty sure that their fit info is incorrect and it wouldn't even fit (despite their claims that it will) or would look really weird with the E39's flat faced dash and that one being curved and looks to fit something more like the E46 and E53's rounded dash. But who knows, maybe it would fit somehow, but I doubt it and it wouldn't look right. And number 2, the IBus App was designed around the PB7839BP series and didn't even want to mess with compatibility issues. And number 3, you would miss the physical buttons as they are much easier to deal with and not get distracted while driving.

#252 ·
Okay, my turn for a couple questions. My wife has finally okayed the install (it's Christmas, after all), so I guess I'll tackle it over the holidays. I'm looking for full functionality, including phone, streaming music, navigation, etc, and I'm not planning on doing this again, so want to make sure I get it all the first time. I'm sure I'm missing something, and have a couple questions, so here we go for all you guys that have done this before.

First, I'm a 2002 with NO DSP. Already removed. Gonzo. I still have all the factory wiring and DO still have Nav (trunk) and the factory radio module (trunk) as well as the factory 16x9 (obviously).

I believe that I need:
1 x PB7839BP
1 x Ressler Interface
1 x BMW 61138377072 - 3 pin connector for chassis side
1 x BMW 61136931929 - 3 pin connector for interface side
3 x BMW 61130005198 - 3 pins with wire for interface side
5 x 6m RCA's to get signal to my amps
1 x 6m RCA for a backup camera
1 x 6M Fakra Radio Antenna Extension
1 x 6M Fakra GPS Antenna Extension
1 x Xtrons OBD02 OBD connector
1 x 3D printed mounting brackets

Am I missing anything obvious here?

Quick questions:
1. Does anyone have a high-quality backup camera that looks factory? E.g. integrated into the for the plate or the trunk release? There must be 50 options on the XTRONS site
2. Any reason NOT to order from Amazon for $70 less than directly from XTRONS?
3. Is there an option for HD radio in the States? I see DAB+, but that doesn't work here...

Install Process
Since I've already removed my DSP, it seems from everything I've read that this is (over)simplified as: Run RCA's + Fakra cables, Connect cables to amplifiers in trunk, install head unit (inc Ressler), turn on head unit. Did I dumb it down so far that I've missed something?

Thanks folks!

Doug

#259 ·
I got one of the regular backup cameras from China that had a good size to fit. Took a bit to get the wiring through the rubber accordion, but did it with some glycerin lube and a coat hanger to push / pull the RCA through. I cut and re-soldered the RCA. The backup camera wasn't anything spiffy, and works 100% better than the old E70 2008 stock backup camera.

I ordered from Amazon. Just fine.

I have no idea on HD radio, couldn't find anything. Would love it.

I used a 4x and a 2x RCA. 4 regular channels, 1 for sub, 1 for backup camera.

I'd suggest you run a 2x speaker cable for an extra set of connections, "just in case". Remote turn on for amp, for example.

That sounds like what I ordered. The Fakra connectors are all mostly the same (after male and female), you just might need to do a little xacto knife trimming to get them to fit. It was hard to find the perfect exact one, with the correct end connector, but once I saw the connectors personally, you can get either 6" adapters, or just trim one side or another.

You could look into a microphone connector for the overhead stock spot. I did it, but haven't gotten it 100% running.

#253 ·
DougBaker,
There is option that you may want to consider, and that is a tire pressure monitoring system, which I believe will work with the Xtrons head unit.
https://www.amazon.com/XTRONS-Press...r=8-1&keywords=xtron+tire+pressure+monitoring

Obviously this also involves dismounting the tires to install the sensors, but I think would be nice to have the tire pressure and temperature on the headunit. Anyone has experience with this system?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.