BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
121 - 140 of 397 Posts
Anyone has advice on running the wire harness from the radio to the trunk? Mine has non-folding seats if that makes a difference.
Have a look at THIS video. You need to remove your back seat (bottom and back cushion), and the carpet off the back seat from inside the trunk and the carpet pieces in the trunk on the drivers side, the drivers side front and back runners above the sills and then remove the drivers lower dash. I have everything apart and waiting for some things but it was all pretty easy to me except getting those dang trim pieces off the dash :wow:

Hello all.

I also purchase an Xtrons Android unit for my 2000 E39.
Last two days I was busy installing everything in my touring. I thought that running the cable from the back to the front would be most difficult work. But none of that.

Most trouble I have is mounting the headunit.My god......what a bad mount design.
If I use the holes already on the mount, headunit ends up to deep. As far as I could measure, bracket needed to come a least 10 mm more to the front.
So i drilled new holes, but now top of the bracket touches the dash, what gives me a problem using the lower hole.

I saw here that a german guy makes a 3d printed bracket. I contact him, unfortunately he will not be back from holiday until the 10th f July.
that is why I would like ot make my own bracket. I was thinking of using wood.

Before doing this i need the right measurement.

I wonder if any of you has the right measure of the 3d printed bracket for me?

Also have second question. I have been playing with the unit, unfortunately my battery died. So it charging at the moment.
But one thing I saw, is that as soon as I shut down the car, and turn the key to position 2, the headunit RESTARTS. It does not wake up like it should.
looks like the unit is shutdown after I take the key out of the ignition.
Anybody any idea why this happens?

Discussion starter · #124 ·
Yeah, the brackets are pretty awful. Sorry, my brackets are installed, so I can't easily help with measurements

There is a setting under the Android config that will enable sleep vs. full shutdown.

Yeah, the brackets are pretty awful. Sorry, my brackets are installed, so I can't easily help with measurements

There is a setting under the Android config that will enable sleep vs. full shutdown.
Thanks

I manage to get the right holes by cutting some cardboard with the side shape of the radio.And then I just held the board where the radio suppose to stay. And that way I manage to get the right dimensions of the holes.

About shutting down:I will look in to it.

Other thing: How do I stop the unit to go to a black screen every time I back up the car?I dont have a camera, and I am not planning to get one.
I just want system to keep playing music , even when I am backing up.

Discussion starter · #126 ·
Again , many thanks for your fast response

I am going to take a look at this Wiki page. Also de i-Bus page.
I need to figure out how to change the BC language back to English instead op German.

BC was already English but after disconnecting the battery it has return to German.
Also want to check if it is possible (as on the BMW system) to change what I see when pressing the BC button on my left stick .
I mean, I only need time-fuel consumption and maybe cooling timer...but not all the default list

Again , many thanks for your fast response

I am going to take a look at this Wiki page. Also de i-Bus page.
I need to figure out how to change the BC language back to English instead op German.

BC was already English but after disconnecting the battery it has return to German.
Also want to check if it is possible (as on the BMW system) to change what I see when pressing the BC button on my left stick .
I mean, I only need time-fuel consumption and maybe cooling timer...but not all the default list
Language is easy, you can spot it under oneof the general menu settings I think.

BC list in kombi is programmable, probably under the bc settings menu and so.wthing like program bc. It's certainly there.

My 99r has no nav (still has the tape deck) but does have DSP. To install the xtron I would need:
Xtron HU (lol)
I-Bus app (with dsp license)
Ressler USB stick
Custom brackets (how do I get these atm?)

That’s it, nothing else?

My 99r has no nav (still has the tape deck) but does have DSP. To install the xtron I would need:
Xtron HU (lol)
I-Bus app (with dsp license)
Ressler USB stick
Custom brackets (how do I get these atm?)

That’s it, nothing else?

That should be all. About the brackets. Best thing you can do is just drawn the side of your unit on a piece of paper. Cut the shape of it (leaving some paper on the back)
Then keep the paper where the unit must go, flat with your dash. Then punch both screw holes through the paper.

After that. Hold you bracket against the line your draw of the back of the unit, and then draw both hole through the paper unto the bracket. that way you will have the right holes

That should be all. About the brackets. Best thing you can do is just drawn the side of your unit on a piece of paper. Cut the shape of it (leaving some paper on the back)
Then keep the paper where the unit must go, flat with your dash. Then punch both screw holes through the paper.

After that. Hold you bracket against the line your draw of the back of the unit, and then draw both hole through the paper unto the bracket. that way you will have the right holes

Thanks! I think I understand what you mean. Have you done this before yourself?

Language is easy, you can spot it under oneof the general menu settings I think.

BC list in kombi is programmable, probably under the bc settings menu and so.wthing like program bc. It's certainly there.

Yesterday I was palying with the unit and entered the Factory Settings (with password).
The I did gi to the CAN BIC section. Ad saw it said :Canbus: NO

SO I changed this to BMW Union (first one I saw). After doing that I needed to restart the unit.
After that I had 2 new Apps. Vehicle and Control Settings

When I open Control Settings--System Config Set Commands: then I see next screen. There I see Language German. But I remember that I was not able to change it.

Unit is at this moment on my table so I can download soma maps. Therefore I am not able to test it again.

But I remember that after changing the Canbus from none to BMW Union, my steering buttons stop working.
App Wheel Keys did not solve the problem. Therefore I returned Canbus setting to none.

OK , i am almost done with installation. Only issue I have is still my antenna.
Today I received my extended one which was suppose to arrive together with the speaker and power extension cable.

After arrival I saw that the cable had to different connectors. One is Fakra and the other side Din-ISo Male.

This one:

I suppose that din-iso can be use on the Android side. But first I need to get a adapter.
This is the one I found online:

Can I use this one to connect it to my Xtrons radio? I guess I need to connect the blue Fakra to the lower connector on the Radio.
Or do i need an other Fakra connector ?

Is this correct?

And now the cables I have in the trunk.
I disconnected 2 cables from de BM24 radio unit. This two:

My idea is that I need to use the BIG one (top one in this picture). I have no idea what the second one is.

Mine extension cable as next connector:

After looking at the Xtrons Wiki I saw that I can use next adapter

Before I start ordering the connectors. Can please some one tell me if i get it right

Following. Awesome work to the OP and all those who have contributed. This is on my to-do list now.

Some info about I bus app and Boardcomputer language.

According to maker of the ap it's not possible to change the language with his app, this because he was not able to find the right procedure to do this. Maybe in the future.For now i need to re-code my BC using NCS Expert .

Will try this as soon as my OBD and cable arrives.

Discussion starter · #139 ·
After looking at the Xtrons Wiki I saw that I can use next adapter

Before I start ordering the connectors. Can please some one tell me if i get it right

That should work to adapt the current antenna wiring to the FAKRA connector. Older E39 have that plug, newer E39 use the FAKRA, so no adapter needed

OK..all needed adapters arrived today...and...radio works:)

Only have one issue. radio no longer fit's :-(. Fakra connector that goes into the radio is to long:

Already removed the blue plastic casing, but still need a half a centimeter to install the unit flat with the dashboard.
Tomorrow I will try to solve this. Maybe by bending the connector (hope it will not crack )

Other than that, radio works perfect. Sound and receiving quality is great. Very happy with it.

121 - 140 of 397 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.