BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

101 - 119 of 381 Posts

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Hi Rontgen,

Here's the official Apple CarPlay website;

https://www.apple.com/uk/ios/carplay/

You can see the 'official Aftermarket brands' which are licensed to run the Apple CarPlay operating system on their head units.

As you can see, there's no Chinese brands listed.

Apple Car Play is an operating system designed to be incorporated into brand new cars at the factory. An 'overlap' is that those licensed aftermarket brands can use the operating system on their head units so that older cars where such a unit can be fitted can have Apple CarPlay. CarPlay has specific aspects designed to make driving safer when connected to an iphone, here's an overview of what it is

https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/what-is-apple-carplay/ - Apple CarPlay doesn't run or get installed on your handset. I'm not an Apple handset user, but I believe within the phone's OS, there's the capability to 'connect with a genuine Car Play device' so it essentially goes into 'Car Play mode'.

The $65 dongle as mentioned isn't running CarPlay, nor are any chinese clone type head units. You don't have to even have it connected and the head unit will still function - Genuine Apple Car Play only works when connected to a iphone.

Now I know many owners will not really care and will buy the Dongle so will be able to plug their iphone in and use the head unit's controls. I'm simply pointing out that that, isn't genuine Car Play and the 'marketing' by the chinese brands is incorrect in order to dupe people into thinking it is.

If I'm totally wrong, and Apple have licensed their operating system to a chinese factory somewhere, I will update my knowledge and recall/delete the above.

Cheers, Dennis!
It is Carplay, 100%-- it's just not apple licensed.

When you plug the phone in, the phone goes into carplay mode. The display on the screen is not a mirror of your phone screen-- it's the simplifed interface apple has the phone output to CarPlay devices apple creates. The phone believes it's connected to an officially licenses carplay device.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thanks for the all the info! Yeah, I thought the same thing, they look like the same description other than the mention of the DSP. But it seemed like the EXL005 would be all that is needed, and you got yours working just fine with it. And I'm all about less cluttered wiring.

Just got my Resler in the mail! I had a feeling it would be here today!
I had planned on testing it out when I got it in by using my smartphone, the app and the Relser but my car is on a 500mi journey on a flatbed to the dealer in Denver for the airbag recall. But it should be back tomorrow and I'll get to play around with it then!

17 pins for mine, all in the rear. 11/99 build. The front connector is only for the head unit itself, so you don't need anything more up there. You could *probably* hack together something instead of the long cable if you replaced the DSP amp, but there aren't obvious connectors up front to tap into. You'd have to tap a bunch of stuff - the long cable, other than installation PITA, is simply plug and play.

I am getting some feedback / whine. I think it's alternator whine, but I frankly haven't had enough time to mess with it. Between the full dinan exhaust, and simply having the new stereo on, I never hear it. Windows up, radio on mute, sitting at a light once the car is warmed up, then I can barely hear it. Once car is off, it either drops off to almost inaudible, or not there. (obviously this is key to know if it's alternator whine or not, I just haven't gotten that far).

·
Registered
14 Posts
What steps do I take to remove both NAV and DSP from my car ?

I read a post about how DSP is modular.

Do I need the Extension cable , if I want to delete it ?

Please advise.

·
Registered
14 Posts
What steps do I take to remove both NAV and DSP from my car ?

I read a post about how DSP is modular.

Do I need the Extension cable , if I want to delete it ?

Please advise.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yes, you need the fakra cable if you want to make your life easier. It's just a matter of running it (which is the PITA), but connecting it in is easy. The main stereo connections for the DSP system are in the rear, beside the DSP amp. You don't really have connections up front.

HOWEVER, I will add is that, if you go straight to an aftermarket amp, you could wire in the new head unit with the included wiring connectors, but it will take some work to make sure you get the wiring colors right, etc. I don't 100% know that you have the power, ground, ign. power and other connections up front, but you *probably* do, as it's only really power/ground that you need other than the resler stick bus connections (remote mic, etc). If I had more time and didn't already have the fakra cable, I *may* have gone this route since I went straight to an aftermarket amp. Note, I'm an electrical engineer / hacker who has installed many of my own stereos over the years - so I'm not afraid to hack things up. Note, it doesn't always work well.

You would still need to run a set of cables to the amp (likely the rear, where the DSP amp is located), plus some antenna wires (GPS, FM/AM), plus some remote turn on wires.

·
Registered
214 Posts
The Xtrons head unit specifies that it can do TPMS. Anyone know how to do that or tried to do that? I figured that having TPMS on the screen with pressure/temperature would be great for the track.

·
Registered
72 Posts
where do we check for firmware upgrades? the xtrons website doesn't have anything when I search for firmware.
I just got my unit in today but I'm stuck on waiting for my cables because they failed to ship them together grrrrrrr .
But I would think it should be done similarly to your phone? On your head unit, go to settings, system update?
I'll post more when I get it all installed.

The Xtrons head unit specifies that it can do TPMS. Anyone know how to do that or tried to do that? I figured that having TPMS on the screen with pressure/temperature would be great for the track.
I plan on getting these too. You have to have either TPMS05 (the one I plan on getting) or the TPMS01

·
Registered
72 Posts
where do we check for firmware upgrades? the xtrons website doesn't have anything when I search for firmware.
Does anyone know how to upgrade from Android 6.0 to 8.0 ?
Have a look at the Xtrons Wiki that Rontgen posted in the first couple posts.
The link I supplied is through google translate so it should be easy to read.

·
Registered
72 Posts
April 2018 Update:
- Resler interface connection - I didn't know at the time of my original install, but the Xtrons adapter harness which sits behind the head unit has extra wiring in place that mates perfectly with the Resler interface. 12V, Gnd, & bus are all available once you cut off the extra square connector, which you should do anyway for packaging reasons. The connection method I described earlier is still valid, but wiring the interface to the Xtrons harness accomplishes the same thing and saves you $5 in BMW-sepcific connector parts - your choice
Are you referring to the extra, (seems unused, as I can't see where it would connect) big square plug that comes off the units pigtail and has 4 wires; black, red, yellow and green?
I was trying to figure out what the point of that extra connector is. It must be for the ones that don't need the extension cable as all the wiring is up front? :dunno:

Would it be something like this:

Black= Ground
Red= Positive ACC (switched)
Yellow= Positive Constant
Green= Bus

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Are you referring to the extra, (seems unused, as I can't see where it would connect) big square plug that comes off the units pigtail and has 4 wires; black, red, yellow and green?
I was trying to figure out what the point of that extra connector is. It must be for the ones that don't need the extension cable as all the wiring is up front? :dunno:

Would it be something like this:

Black= Ground
Red= Positive ACC (switched)
Yellow= Positive Constant
Green= Bus
Correct, its that second plug, but I think your color code is incorrect. Check the German wiki, they have a posting about it.

I don't know what the second plug is for either. Obviously for some other version of the E39, but it's a redundant plug in that all those signals are already available on the main plug.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Correct, its that second plug, but I think your color code is incorrect. Check the German wiki, they have a posting about it.

I don't know what the second plug is for either. Obviously for some other version of the E39, but it's a redundant plug in that all those signals are already available on the main plug.
I should probably clarify what I meant:

Head Unit Extension-___________________I-Bus Interface-

Black= Ground------------------------->-->-->Brown= Ground
Red= Positive ACC (switched)_____________Green= NTSC (Not Used)
Yellow= Positive Constant +12v------>-->-->Red= Positive +12v
Green= IBus--------------------------->-->-->White= IBus​

That's the way they show it in THIS video. I just wish I could understand German lol. Can anyone tell what they are doing with the wiring @ about 3:30 to about 6:40??

Where did you see the post about the color coding? I couldn't find it on the wiki. Could you post a link for me?
I may just go the route you originally posted with the BMW connectors since I already bought them...

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Sorry you're correct! It was actually in the Facebook group:

Gelb: Dauerplus
Rot: Schaltplus (nicht benötigt)
Schwarz: Masse
Gründ: I-Bus
So,

Yellow: Constant 12V
Red: Switched 12V (not used)
Black: Ground
Green: I-Bus

Where it gets confusing is the color code between the Xtrons harness and the Resler interface harness, but you've got that figured out too!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Has anyone figure out how to get the dimming working properly? The Wiki here talks about it but the wording at the bottom is kind of confusing (probably because of the translation):

"Note: As it turns out, this conversion works ONLY on the PB7639BAP [Android 6 / PX5 / OctaCore / 2GB RAM // ISO Antenna Jack / Black Jacks Back] (important is the "BAP").
This works on the following models PB7639BP [Android 6 / PX5 / OctaCore / 2GB RAM // FAKRA Antenna Jack / Rear Blue Jacks] or the current PB7839BP [Android 8 / PX5 / OctaCore / 4GB RAM // FAKRA Antenna Jack / Blue Rear Jacks] unfortunately not.
Same radio versions only for other vehicle types will probably behave similarly."

It seems like it's saying it won't work for my PB7839BP?? Couldn't I just use the dimmer wire from the old radio harness that is a red w/gray stripe and hook it up to the head unit's illumination wire or something?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Gents,

They recently released a firmware update for the carplay unit, and the two main issues I have had are fixed.

1) the "not remembering permission" is taken care of. You plug in the phone and it autoconnects to the main carplay screen.

2) the steering wheel buttons (fwd / back track) work now.

I wish I could simply update my post above, but since that’s not possible on this forum, I’ll post an update here

I’d like to un-recommend this particular product and seller. While the CarPlay dongle does work for the most part, there are two annoying issues present:

- the app never remembers that you’ve granted it permission to access the USB port. So, every time you get in the car, you have to grant permission, which gets annoying quickly.

- the steering wheel track +\- controls only work sporadically, most of the time they do not work.

The seller had initially seemed confident they could resolve these issues, but after several weeks of back and forth, loading apks, and attempting to reflash firmware on the dongle, I’ve requested a refund. I will try the other style of interface called a “zbox”. Exact same concept but with better user reviews. We shall see...

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #119 (Edited)
Has anyone figure out how to get the dimming working properly? The Wiki here talks about it but the wording at the bottom is kind of confusing (probably because of the translation):

"Note: As it turns out, this conversion works ONLY on the PB7639BAP [Android 6 / PX5 / OctaCore / 2GB RAM // ISO Antenna Jack / Black Jacks Back] (important is the "BAP").
This works on the following models PB7639BP [Android 6 / PX5 / OctaCore / 2GB RAM // FAKRA Antenna Jack / Rear Blue Jacks] or the current PB7839BP [Android 8 / PX5 / OctaCore / 4GB RAM // FAKRA Antenna Jack / Blue Rear Jacks] unfortunately not.
Same radio versions only for other vehicle types will probably behave similarly."

It seems like it's saying it won't work for my PB7839BP?? Couldn't I just use the dimmer wire from the old radio harness that is a red w/gray stripe and hook it up to the head unit's illumination wire or something?
"Dimming" works via the CAN Bus box with no other connections required. The difference is that there are only 2 settings: headlights on vs. headlights off. Since it's just a CAN/iBus on/off control signal, the dimmer wheel on the dash does not control the button lights. The external connection they describe supposedly allows for true dimmable backlights, but I can confirm it does not work on my 7639BP. I plan on restoring the wiring to stock so that the on/off control works correctly. With that said, I don't find the orange backlights to be at all bothersome and I'm typically very sensitive to bright lights in the cabin while driving at night

Keep in mind all the above is just in regards to the button backlighting and NOT the touchscreen brightness, which is the bigger issue for me. Perhaps it works better on the Android 8 models, but my backlight doesn't really dim at all. I use an app called Twilight to provide a dimmable overlay on the screen to cut down on the brightness

Gents,

They recently released a firmware update for the carplay unit, and the two main issues I have had are fixed.

1) the "not remembering permission" is taken care of. You plug in the phone and it autoconnects to the main carplay screen.

2) the steering wheel buttons (fwd / back track) work now.
Thanks for the update - just to clarify, this is for the white Carplay dongle?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Anyone has advice on running the wire harness from the radio to the trunk? Mine has non-folding seats if that makes a difference.

101 - 119 of 381 Posts