BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 381 Posts

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Hi Dennis,

I'll admit, I have a limited understanding of Time Alignment. My understanding was it was a way of adjusting the sound timing so that all sounds arrive at a specific location within the car at the same time(I assume the driver's head would be the most common). My only experience with it was with my Dynavin N6 and it didn't even work with the DSP amp (at least in the early N6 days). If there's more to it, please feel free to add.

The screen shots below are from my Xtrons unit. The screen looks very similar to the TA screen on my N6 and the TA does appear to work, with one exception. If I choose anything in the rear seat, audio goes totally silent. I'm not sure if this is a result of something with the Xtrons, the DSP amp, and/or the fact that I have M-Audio, so I don't have any speakers in my rear doors.

*Edit*. Had some time to do some reading tonight about TA and I’m changing my tune, I agree with Dennis that this does not appear to have time alignment capability. The screen does look very similar to the Dynavin at first glance, but after comparing it does not have the individual time delay settings.

FWIW, with the Fader adjusted to the "Front" preset, it sounds very good. Much better than with it centered, actually.

Here's the screen from my N6. Right side cursors adjust individual speaker volumes which is what I believe the Xtron is doing. Left side cursors adjust time delay.

IMG_0982.jpg

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Yep, that looks familiar now. I guess that's what I get for relying on my memory! :)

More importantly, we need to drink some beer!

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Hi,

Depending on which recognized car audio brands you use for the amplifier(s) and components speakers/co-axials/sunwoofers, then assuming you go 'middle level' on those, then they'll similarly not perform to what they're capable of when using a cheap quality chinese head unit, so my point is, you'll 'most likely' be disappointed in the short/medium and longer term!
Would it be possible to get a digital signal from the Chinese units to an upgraded aftermarket amp/system so there would be no quality loss in the signal?
I want to use the Chinese unit because of Android and original fitment, but I see the need to upgrade the entire sound system.

Ideas range from Bluetooth audio out from Chinese unit to aftermarket high-end Amp, to WiFi to digital signal chord.
Is there any Amplifier or module that connects to any high end amp that has an App to control audio dynamics, so they can be completely skipped on Chinese unit's end and we get full sound quality exceeding DSP or Android aftermarket, while keeping Android functionality and OBC/iBus control through iBus app.

What are your thoughts on this?

·
Registered
848 Posts
Would it be possible to get a digital signal from the Chinese units to an upgraded aftermarket amp/system so there would be no quality loss in the signal?
I want to use the Chinese unit because of Android and original fitment, but I see the need to upgrade the entire sound system.

Ideas range from Bluetooth audio out from Chinese unit to aftermarket high-end Amp, to WiFi to digital signal chord.
Is there any Amplifier or module that connects to any high end amp that has an App to control audio dynamics, so they can be completely skipped on Chinese unit's end and we get full sound quality exceeding DSP or Android aftermarket, while keeping Android functionality and OBC/iBus control through iBus app.

What are your thoughts on this?
Hi TB,

The internal electronics are more generic in their capabilities as well as quality. This means aspects like optical out or a digital output won't be possible at the stage prior to any audio processing/digital to analogue conversion. What you are asking for is higher end functionality that the 'generic' IC's used in these chinese units aren't used because of course they cost alot more. Even if they did use a better digital stage like that, then they'd also have to use much better quality DAC's and Audio stages IC's throughout the rest of the electronics in order to get the best from them.

If you have any level of 'good audio' and 'high quality performance with no loss of quality' then the chinese units aren't going to provide this. Car audio which does have what you want in terms of fantastic sound quality and aspects such as optical outputs/connections for a pure(r) signal path does exist but it's not found on low grade chinese units but on high quality brands products and solutions. I'll answer on your other thread as well !

Cheers, Dennis!

·
Registered
1 Posts
FM Radio reception on this Xtrons Install?

Hi can i please ask OP how he handled the FM Antennas? It is my understanding that the e39 has two radio antenna feeds. Did you somehow connect them both to the Xtrons unit? Was an extra cable or adapter needed for the extra antenna?
How is reception? Thanks

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
There’s only one antenna connection at the stock radio, so that’s the only one connected here. Mine is an earlier car (12/00 build) so it supposedly has a powered antenna that needs another adapter. However, it seems to work as-is for the one local FM station I listen to once in a while. I seem to recall AM reception with my Dynavin was very iffy, but I never listen to AM, so I never pursued it.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Thanks for posting, great write up and follow thru.

How do you load songs into the 32GB HDD? Also, where is the SD card slot?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Thanks for posting, great write up and follow thru.

How do you load songs into the 32GB HDD? Also, where is the SD card slot?

Thanks!

Thanks!

There are 2 Micro SD Card slots on the front of the unit. You can load to the 32GB a couple different ways: download to it (via WiFi), or attach an external storage device (Micro SD or USB) to the unit and use the File Browser app to move files onto the onboard storage

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Also, to update my earlier posts (since we can’t edit here), thanks to a fellow member for the heads-up about the 6m GPS cable. This is now available without a special request to the seller:

The topic mentions a GPS extension cable that can be used to make use of the existing GPS antenna in the car. I've messaged the seller to get a 6m long version of the cable, as suggested in the topic, and he has now created a separate product for that on ebay. It can be ordered here: https://m.ebay.com/itm/Fakra-SMB-C-5005-jack-plug-right-angle-RG174-cable-GPS-Telematics-Navigation-6M/323126008572?_mwBanner=1

·
Registered
96 Posts
Also, to update my earlier posts (since we can’t edit here), thanks to a fellow member for the heads-up about the 6m GPS cable. This is now available without a special request to the seller:

The topic mentions a GPS extension cable that can be used to make use of the existing GPS antenna in the car. I've messaged the seller to get a 6m long version of the cable, as suggested in the topic, and he has now created a separate product for that on ebay. It can be ordered here: https://m.ebay.com/itm/Fakra-SMB-C-5005-jack-plug-right-angle-RG174-cable-GPS-Telematics-Navigation-6M/323126008572?_mwBanner=1
Has anyone tested using the Xtrons antenna yet and putting it in the dash? My understanding is that if this works the cable run to the trunk is no longer required. This would make the install even easier, wouldn't it?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Has anyone tested using the Xtrons antenna yet and putting it in the dash? My understanding is that if this works the cable run to the trunk is no longer required. This would make the install even easier, wouldn't it?
Correct, you can use the GPS antenna that comes with the Xtrons and put it in/on the dash. I chose not to go this route as I had issues with a similar antenna and my Dynavin. Perhaps it was a problem isolated to my Dynavin & it's antenna, but I didn't want to chance it. The signal strength from the factory-installed GPS antenna was much, much stronger and more reliable than the stand-alone antenna in the dash.

The 6m GPS extension cable install isn't a big deal as you simply bundle it with the main Radio extension harness (and the Radio antenna extension) and run them all together.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The head unit has speaker level outputs. I've been playing with the unit on my workbench ahead of installation while I wait for a few more cables. I'm driving my old front mid-range speakers. They get 'loud enough".

I was toying with just pushing the normal speakers with those line outputs since I have aftermarket 2 ways up front (using existing 3 way wiring, and midrange), and then just run the rear mids by themselves (I hardly use them anyway). It would bypass the stock DSP amp and all of it's clever goodness... but I would also need to figure out the sub. I have an older amp I can I use in the meantime (RF Punch 60ix, circa 1996) on the nokia subs.

Anyone done this?

The Fakra cable has the 8 speaker level wires sent all the way to the rear, and it's not "hard" to patch into the cable loom once you figure out what wires go to what. It's just a lot of wires.

Do you have a link to the ebay dongle, or is it a pretty easy thing to find?

·
Registered
848 Posts
How does this work?
It's a screen mirroring device. All it does is show on the head unit whatever is on the screen of the iphone. It's not genuine Apple CarPlay.

To be genuinely the Apple CarPlay operating system, Apple would have announced to it's investors and the public that they had signed a deal and that company would have to make it's products to the quality level Apple is known for.

Cheers, Dennis!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
It's a screen mirroring device. All it does is show on the head unit whatever is on the screen of the iphone. It's not genuine Apple CarPlay.

To be genuinely the Apple CarPlay operating system, Apple would have announced to it's investors and the public that they had signed a deal and that company would have to make it's products to the quality level Apple is known for.

Cheers, Dennis!

Absolutely incorrect. It is not a screen mirror in any way shape or form. It’s Apple CarPlay - exactly like every OE integration I’ve used in rental cars. CarPlay actually runs on your phone, not the head unit. The USB dongle simply serves as a conduit for video display and touchscreen input.

The dongle is not an Apple-licensed product in the same way that my USB-to-Lightning cable isn’t an Apple-licensed product. Yet, it still works.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
It uses the touch screen for those functions which are supported by CarPlay. Anything else, you’d use your phone input. Look up any CarPlay demo on YouTube and it’s precisely like that. Again, it runs on your phone, so the feature set is dependent on iOS moreso than the head unit.

41 - 60 of 381 Posts