BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay I know a lot has been posted regarding the difference between XM and Sirius satellite radio and I've read most of them but, I just want to offer my opinion. Several days ago I had XM installed in my 98 328iS Sport 5-speed which is my daily driver. I was hoping the XM programming had improved from the last time I had it installed in my 02 M3 convertible. Today I took my 03 beast our for some exercise. I have Sirius radio installed in it.

From my perspective, XM and Sirius are worlds apart! I primarily listen to music from the 60's, 70's, and 80's. XM plays a lot of obscure, off-the-wall tracks from artists that I have never heard of before. Sirius plays mostly top forty tracks that I am familiar with and enjoy. XM plays a lot of easy listening tunes for example, I quickly changed channels when the "Theme from Zorba the Greek" played followed shortly by songs from Barry Manilow, Dionne Warwick, Burl Ives (gag!) and etc. Sirius on the hand plays songs from the Rolling Stones, Boston, Byrds, Creedance and etc. I hope you get where I'm coming from. There is also more DJ chatter on XM compared to Sirius. Todays comparison convinced me to return my XM and get Sirius installed instead. So, if you're going to get satellite radio and you're an older rocker like myself, then I most highly recommend Sirius. If you like easy listening rock accompanied by a lot of chatter buy XM, or select your favorite soft rock FM station, there isn't much difference.

BTW, if you do get XM, consider the new XM Commander by Trek. It has a small control unit and receiver/processor, a very small antenna and a battery operated remote which I found to be very nice. I used velcro to mount the remote on my ashtray so I can flip through my 10 preset channels without taking my eyes off the road. The only problem is the display is white and a little too bright for my taste. I've been looking for some clear orange plastic that I can cut to cover the display and make it more compatible with my orange interior lights. You can buy a new and complete XM Commander kit for $129.99 on Ebay vs. the $169.00 Best Buy sells it for.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Thanks for the gouge. I'm planning on converting the car to sirius anyway, this just reinforces my decision. Cheers,

war

·
Registered
548 Posts
warhaven said:
Thanks for the gouge. I'm planning on converting the car to sirius anyway, this just reinforces my decision. Cheers,

war
I have Sirius in 545smg and I am hooked on it. I am looking for ways to add Sirus to my M5. Thanks for the post :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
I love XM for precisely that reason. XM offers an eclectic mix of music from everywhere.

I can be listening to NGOMA (music of Africa) one minute to LUNA (Brazilian Jazz) to CNN to The Weather Channel the next.

Since I do like to hear music slightly off the beaten path, XM delivers big time.

To each his own :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
beewang said:
I have Sirius in 545smg and I am hooked on it. I am looking for ways to add Sirus to my M5. Thanks for the post :M5thumbs:
Adding factory Sirius to the M5 can be done but will be costly in your case. I think you'll have to upgrade the NAV to MkIV (DVD based) and change out the radio.

·
Registered
235 Posts

This will only work if your car does not have the rear sunshade ..

·
Registered
466 Posts
Curious in the picture below, Is the "silver" unit the sirius? or something else. I know I don't have that in my car.

mdernst said:
Adding factory Sirius to the M5 can be done but will be costly in your case. I think you'll have to upgrade the NAV to MkIV (DVD based) and change out the radio.

·
Registered
76 Posts
warhaven said:
Curious in the picture below, Is the "silver" unit the sirius? or something else. I know I don't have that in my car.
Yes, the silver unit directly behind the CD changer is the Sirius receiver. The silver unit it is tie wrapped to is the TV tuner. If you don't have the TV tuner then you can use the mount that comes in the installation kit to install the Sirius receiver where the TV tuner is.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Looks great. I've already upgraded to the MKIV nav system and when I bring the car in soon I am going to see if they'll replace the radio under the warantee for one that supports sirius.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I have received several PM's asking me about my Sirius installation so I though I would share the information with you. First, I did not upgrade my radio or nav, it isn't necessary. Second the cost was minor when compared to the benefits.

I installed a Kenwood KTC-SR-901 Sirius receiver (newer model is the 903 $70.00, see Kenwood Sirius radio on the web for techical details) and a Ventura Technology Sirius interface control unit. My antenna is installed behind the glass on my package tray. I have attached photos. I used velcro to hold the receiver and interface unit down, it is very secure. You'll note that the Kenwood receiver fits nicely behind my CD player. The Kenwood receiver and control unit is compatible with almost all FM radios. The Kenwood "system" is connected to my CD output. My nav/radio thinks it is receiving output from the CD which is completely bypassed so it is displayed on the nav and the window below the tach and speedometer. My speakers don't know the difference either. I control my Sirius radio stations and speaker volume just like my CD i.e., I use either nav or the steering wheel radio control buttons. Here's the downside, I don't have any presets and I must toggle up/down to play the stations I want. My Kenwood was preset to channel 6 (60's) from the factory so I don't have any problems toggling between channels 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 and channel 13 (deep tracks). When I start my beast my Sirius defaults to channel 6. I also don't see who the artist is or the what the song title is but that is not important to me. What was important was there was no need to install a control unit, drill any holes or otherwise make major modifications. I simply use what is already available. If I ever wanted to return to CD and I don't know why I would, I would simply unplug the Sirius output from the CD and restore my connection back to its original setting. It's that simple, it's a very simple plug-n-play set-up, I've tried it! If you choose to install a Kenwood system like I have I would recommend that you have it professionally installed. PM me if you have any questions.

As soon as I can figure out to post the pictures I took I will attach them!

·
Registered
41 Posts
When I do it, I'm going ot go with XM. They do a TON of NCAA football games...where Sirius is into NFL. I'm big into college football and drive 3.5 hours on Saturdays to the games, so listening to a game enroute is just what I want. But my wants are different from others. Best thing is porbably to look at the programming and see what fits you best.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Sirius scores another coup! First it was Howard Stern, now they announce an exclusive deal with NASCAR. Now, I'm not a big Howard or NASCAR fan, but they both have HUGE loyal audiences so that's some pretty good news for SIRI supporters.

I still have not bit on the whole satellite radio thing...but I would definitely like a nice clear news/finance channel other than the lame staticy AM stations I'm forced to listen to now (BMW radios suk IMO, esp on AM - think it's the antenna design). We'll see...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts