BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

X5 diesel

9K views 49 replies 14 participants last post by  SamS 
#1 ·
Or is that a curse word here.

I have a 2006 4.4 and a 2007 4.8 and would happily sell my 4.4 for the soon to be released 3.0D. Just wondering if any of our European friends can comment on the power / weight versus say the 3.0 gasoline engine nad then obviously torque which is going to be HUGE versus the 4.4.

Any thoughts from the US also happily entertained.

TIA...

#2 · (Edited)
WOW, someone actually wrote something in the X5 forum.....Great thanks.....YES diesel 3.0 liter , I'm buying one can't wait, sounds great 400 lbs torque, wow such pulling power....can't wait, you?
I have an Imola Red 4.8is, i love it but it is a 2006, and want to upgrade it...to the 3.0 liter diesel and will be picking it up at Spartonburg, to do the free driving school , they put you up , nice been there twice for driving schools.........great time.

#3 ·
Yes.. the torque is what is appealing to me too. So I am thinking that as soon as my dealer gets their butt in gear I will do the swap.. 4.4 for the 3.0D ..

#5 ·
Hi Jerry! agreed.. Take care !

#7 ·
I dont know on the price point but I believe the combined MPG of the diesel is going to be around 18-19. Our 2008 4.8 is getting about 12.5 MPG so if the price of entry were equal between the cars the only other variable is the cost of fuel. Where I am diesel is more expensive than premium gas- I just dont remember by how much.

#8 · (Edited)
ordering a X5 3.0 TT...next thurs. 465lbs. torque.........265hp.....who cares....chip time to 397- 423hp. and better mileage.....a killer with 21" 385 rears 285 fronts.......ya baby...hud and loaded............................white with black wheels.

#10 ·
X5 TT ordered factory pick up...loaded, can't wait Black Saphire beige trim , walnut wood.... most all bells and whistles.....August pick up.....still a 2009 model, which i wanted...80 grand.........close to it.

#11 ·
Pick up at factory....Aug 4th....doing the X5 school.........I want my wife to understand it's capabilities...it will be hers. Then a nice ride home....900 miles

#12 ·
Anyone have the April 2009 wholesale prices??? I found an earlier one (Jan I think)

Crazy pricing... Seems everyone is at Invoice or within $1000, BEFORE you look at incentives. and BMW just announced a trunk cash of $4500!

But I think I need to order it, she wants Platinum Bronze, and basically everything except Ventilated seats and Comfort access. (Premium, Tech, Sports, Sound, Rear, Heated, ipod)

A

#15 ·
I just jumped on the X5 35D bandwagon myself.
Made the deal 2 days ago, picked it up yesterday.
2009 Alpine White / Beige, Premium & Technology Pkgs, Running Boards, Sirius radio, Ipod adapter, and Comfort Access. No Sports package though :(
Timing couldn't have been better: it was the last Alpine White X5 35D in Houston, I had to find my wife a new car before Friday, and I happened upon a Bimmerfest forum thread about the $4500 rebate (Ard contributed to that thread also).
The breakdown:
$1000 over invoice + MACO and training, - $4500 rebate, then TTL, and then I will receive the $1000 BMWCCA rebate.
A calculation of an MSRP final sales price - my final total sales price saved approximately $10000. I'm one happy dude. When my wife came home and first saw it (she had previously test driven an X5 only once) she was a little intimidated by the size, but after driving it to the store and back, she seemed pretty comfortable.
I'm driving the car for 2 days while my M5 is in the shop w/ an SES light (Code read Bank 1 running rich) and am lovin' it! Still in break-in period though. Will turn it over to her on Friday when I get my beast back.

#19 · (Edited)
Finally drove the X5 diesel this afternoon. Seamless torque once moving but incredibly FLAT right on the bottom like the Grand Cherokee diesel (and probably like any other diesel) I drove a couple months ago. Takes a second after stomping on the pedal to get moving then you feel it twisting the tread off the Michelins . . . . Power roll-ons at 80mph felt strong and this car loves altitude. Towing over 10,000 foot passes would be incredible I'm guessing. Will need a bit more seat time to figure out if this would be a good daily driver; that dead spot on accelation is substantial (transmission driver adaption over time would help?). 21.1mpg during a spirited test on a 10K mile X5 . . . . I've never seen that mileage on our 4.4 X5.

#20 ·
1500 miles.....mileage keeps getting better !!! tons of torque, my wife loves it and she likes the HUD....

#21 ·
I'm planning on ordering a 2010 35D model next month. Out of curiousity, what kind of mileage are you actually getting?? I realy wanted the M package, but it looks like they don't offer it on the 35D.:sad2:

#23 ·
BMW is giving a $4500 discount off any diesel ordered by 8/31!!! They call it the ECO Credit, it is on he website. So why wait?

A
2010 has the new iDrive and Saddle interior as an option. Otherwise the $4500 is very enticing.

#25 ·
According to my dealer they're not offering the $4500 on 2010's. Have you been told something different, If so, by who???

#28 ·
NO "M" package in U.S.A.. I did see one at the factory.....and the X6 M, really striking !!!

#30 ·
The 4.8is was a great car also, being the older body style which is smaller on the inside and the nav screen was a problem in the sun,....but with the 315's on the rear and the 285's up front it did handle well. it was an 5200 lb car and still had great pick-up.
The 09 35d is a different animal, power is more gradual NO turbo lag but there is a one second low power window, not a lag, but lower power than when the 1st turbo kicks in.....then it all torque from the bottom to the top...pulls like it is being towed by a dragster....and it to is 5200 lbs, approx. handles well, I got rid of the Run Flats as soon as we got home they road like steel wheels way too stiff...put on Michelin Latitudes GREAT tires 1200.00 mounted and balanced NTB...I did order the car with the optional 19" wheels....very nice and i bought a compact spare from BMW for it in case of a flat , it fits in the wheel well as BMW intended to sell a spare option ONLY in Europe.
.It does handle well, no wavering solid to the ground, tracks well, very comfortable and can't wait to take it on a long trip....oh and the nav. is awesome as the hud is a nice touch....i got the custom seats in the nappa leather, tinted the two front windows, got a bra put on, 3m...I did put nice window rain gutters on, smoked and the type that pop in the window channel...look very concealed...

We really haven't driven it much 1500 miles, I just dumped the oil and filter as BMW doesn't want it till 12k miles max. or when it deems it ready to change the oil from the usage it gets...oh and it has winter mat for year around , I find them the best at keeping it clean...

Reactions: ard
#32 ·
Cool review, unfoundhorsepower!

My family is 75% sure on an X5 diesel right now. We will order with the Premium Package, Cold Weather, Rear Climate, Technology Package, Adaptive Drive (standalone option for '10 SAVs) and Comfort seats (not the Nappa leather). We haven't test driven one, but have driven the 3.0si variant a year ago. With the $4500 discount, we are looking forward to getting the car but only if we pay $800 over invoice. We're in no rush for a third car, so if we miss this deal, we have 2 more years for searching.

#33 ·
So, my odyssey continues ....

I just ordered my second X5 Diesel in 3 months.... the short story: Ordered the 2009 on July 5...production number, trcked on the BMW website, on the train, on the boat, whatever...finally it arrives, we get the call.

The day before we were to pick it up BMW announced the 4500 ECO on 2010s... Crap. Year newer, with the new idrive... or take the 09?

Quickly found an order slot for the 2010, declined the 2009. Now waiting again. Paid a bit more for the slot, but not excessive.

You are right about the Adaptive- it went from a $3700 Sport Package, all inclusive, to a $2200 Sport Activity Package, plus a $3500 Adpative Drive Option! So from $3700 to $5700. (Pissed me off that the wife insisted on the black trim! $2200!)

Pretty much the same options as you list, plus the sport activity, Sound package, Ipod and smartphone

A

#34 ·
It's a great machine...we wanted a 2009, lots cheaper and I always like to buy the second year of new inovations....let em get the bugs out.... Good luck all. oh, by the way i got 27 mpg around town without a/c on....not too shabby

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.