BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everybody , friend just bougt a lemansblue/black 4.8 and we were wonderin how far this awesome car could go on an empty stretch of tarmac.
we know that it's limited to 246km/h but as we all know bmw speedometers are not that accurate. Does anybody know what would be its top speed on the speedo? :1:

All the best and thanks in advance :thumbsup:

·
Registered
127 Posts
beho said:
hello everybody , friend just bougt a lemansblue/black 4.8 and we were wonderin how far this awesome car could go on an empty stretch of tarmac.
we know that it's limited to 246km/h but as we all know bmw speedometers are not that accurate. Does anybody know what would be its top speed on the speedo? :1:

All the best and thanks in advance :thumbsup:
I have seen just over 160mph in my 4.8is whereas I used to find my 4.6is would stop at 149mph and then slowly creep over the 150mph line. The 4.8is seems to reach 140+ much quicker too.

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
yes. It definitely has a soft speed limiter around 120-125. I have hit it numerous times. It pulls great up till 120 then it just holds steady. I need to get a tune for it.

Ryan

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Can't see going that fast in my X5...full of groceries !!!

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
Well the 4.8is is a bit more than a grocery getter. It is my travel car and honestly.... It gees it for a 6k lbs vehicle. All in all it is a very fun vehilce. Just about on every trip of 500 miles I have spread her legs to 120ish, it hits a soft limiter around that speed and thats it. Surprisingly enough, the X5 is unbeleiveably stable and in control at higher sppeds.

Ryan

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Well the 4.8is is a bit more than a grocery getter. It is my travel car and honestly.... It gees it for a 6k lbs vehicle. All in all it is a very fun vehilce. Just about on every trip of 500 miles I have spread her legs to 120ish, it hits a soft limiter around that speed and thats it. Surprisingly enough, the X5 is unbeleiveably stable and in control at higher sppeds.

Ryan
If I did that to my wife at 120 she'd kill me !!!!!!!!cherrsagai

·
Registered
271 Posts
I think the max is around 160...I've hit 110 in my x5 3.0, but it was unstable and i chickened out :nono:

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
The 4.8is is far from unstable.. around the holidays I was messing with a caddy on the freeway. The 4.8is held its own to 120ish, perfectly stable and able for much more...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts