BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

The original post is below. After speaking with my mom, she's asking for $50,000. My mom uses this car as her daily driver to commute 7 miles to work. Aside from that, the car sits in her garage. Instrument cluster has full pixles, AC works great, and the car is a blast to drive. I tried contacting the dealership to get the service records, but they don't keep records before 2015. I'm not sure if BMW is like Mercedes where they can pull service records from the key. The M shop in Los Angeles should have the records since we've been taking it there for service.

This 2003 BMW M5 was leased new from Mckenna BMW in Norwalk, CA in March of 2003, by my mom the current owner, who then purchased it when the lease expired. The car is finished in Alpine White over black/grey Nappa leather and is powered by a 4.9-liter S62 V8 paired with a six-speed manual transmission. Factory equipment includes 18″ Style 65 wheels, a glass sunroof, Park Distance Control, power-adjustable heated front seats, fold-down rear seats, and an M-Audio sound system. The car is finished in Alpine White with Shadowline trim and black side moldings. Equipment includes xenon headlights, integrated fog lights, and quad exhaust outlets. This E39 M5 shows 93,000k miles.

Recently joined the board and wanted to put out a feeler to sell my 2003 E39 M5. Mileage just passed 93K miles. The car was purchased at Mckenna BMW in Norwalk, CA in 2003 and was serviced at Assael BMW up until 2013 and has since been serviced at The M Shop in Los Angeles, CA by Joe. We are the original owners of this vehicle. The exterior is Alpine White with a two tone black/grey interior. Interior is in pristine condition because no one sits in the car except the driver. Minor curb rashes on the wheels. I would rate the exterior paint in great condition. The car was detailed once a year. I can provide a vin if anyone is interested. Looking to see what the going rate would be for a West Coast car in this color combo.

Here are a couple pictures. Sorry, the car hasn't been washed in these pictures.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If anyone is wondering why the front seat is orange it's because we covered the front seats with a t shirt.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm interested, please PM me. Tim

Hello all,

Recently joined the board and wanted to put out a feeler to sell my 2003 E39 M5. Mileage just passed 93K miles. The car was purchased at Mckenna BMW in Norwalk, CA in 2003 and was serviced at Assael BMW up until 2013 and has since been serviced at The M Shop in Los Angeles, CA by Joe. We are the original owners of this vehicle. The exterior is Alpine White with a two tone black/grey interior. Interior is in pristine condition because no one sits in the car except the driver. Minor curb rashes on the wheels. I would rate the exterior paint in great condition. The car was detailed once a year. I can provide a vin if anyone is interested. Looking to see what the going rate would be for a West Coast car in this color combo.

Here are a couple pictures. Sorry, the car hasn't been washed in these pictures.

View attachment 950245 View attachment 950246

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Feelers without the price are lame. Do your research, and post a price - this is not eBay or BaT. Having said that - its a rare desirable color combo, last production year, and its next to impossible to find these cars for sale by original owner these days. If you are looking for an opinion of what I would ask if I had a car like that - not a penny less than $50k - granted the car is in top shape mechanically and cosmetically, has clean history, and maintenance records - cause its hard to tell from just two small pictures.

Reactions: kimcheebowl and Jix

·
Registered
201 Posts
Feelers without the price are lame. Do your research, and post a price - this is not eBay or BaT. Having said that - its a rare desirable color combo, last production year, and its next to impossible to find these cars for sale by original owner these days. If you are looking for an opinion of what I would ask if I had a car like that - not a penny less than $50k - granted the car is in top shape mechanically and cosmetically, has clean history, and maintenance records - cause its hard to tell from just two small pictures.
That color combo is desirable? $50k? Hmmmm. You talking $50k Canadian?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
That color combo is desirable? $50k? Hmmmm. You talking $50k Canadian?

I know what I'm talking about.

Reactions: AVGVSTVS

·
Premium Member
2008 E60 M5 Dinan S2+
479 Posts
I agree with you. Shoot, I would even go as far as predicting... with a complete history and well kept maintenance (and documented), on BaT, this combination would fetch pretty north of $50k.

Reactions: Jix and TexaZ3

·
Registered
91 Posts
50 if cleaned up imo.

Reactions: Jix and TexaZ3

·
Registered
8 Posts
I realize alpine white is rare but a $20k premium? I’ve been following e39 sales on BAT for a long time now. I guess the single owner helps that. I would have guessed $38k but the e39 market is pretty crazy these days. It’s a cool car, good luck with sale.

·
Registered
'02 M5 - 354/05SW
56 Posts
There's reality and then there's BaT syndrome. If you follow the current "market", $50k seems likely assuming a clean history and appropriate upkeep. To me, the Imola tax is worthy of a $50k price point more than Alpine, but it seems like people will throw money at anything these days including vehicle color.

Production Stats:
COLOR NAME USACOLOUR NAME GERMANYPAINT CODEAVAILABILITYDE93 (USA)% DE93 (USA)
Alpine White IIIAlpinweiss III30010/1998 - 05/2003 248
2.482%​

Ext/Int Stats:
EXTERIOR COLORPAINT CODEO5SWO5SSO5LBO5IMO6SWO6SSO6LMO6IM
Alpine White III300
36​
31​
6​
16​
13​
5​
0​
3​

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
There's reality and then there's BaT syndrome. If you follow the current "market", $50k seems likely assuming a clean history and appropriate upkeep. To me, the Imola tax is worthy of a $50k price point more than Alpine, but it seems like people will throw money at anything these days including vehicle color.
Strange statement. If people are paying what they are right now, that's the market - isn't it? Or does BaT not exist in this "reality" you speaking of? People will throw money at anything if they have the money.

What you need to understand is that the market for these cars has changed - these are no longer bought and sold as daily drivers or enthusiast cars, especially one-owner Alpinweiss cars. These are "investment cars" now, and you can only judge how good the investment is when you sell it. If recent history is anything to go off, $50k for this car is a bargain.

Having said that, @Jix, you'll have to post a whole lot more pictures from every angle, underbody pix, driving and cold start videos, maintenance records, etc to justify asking $50k. Right now this ad is simply not going to cut it.

Dealer is legally obligated to provide ALL service records to you, IF you are the original owner of the vehicle. What you need to do is to go to the dealer in person and talk to service drive manager and tell them what you want. They should be able to provide a very detailed history for every service done at any US dealership.

Reactions: Jix and 007mead

·
Registered
'02 M5 - 354/05SW
56 Posts
Strange statement. If people are paying what they are right now, that's the market - isn't it? Or does BaT not exist in this "reality" you speaking of? People will throw money at anything if they have the money.

What you need to understand is that the market for these cars has changed - these are no longer bought and sold as daily drivers or enthusiast cars, especially one-owner Alpinweiss cars. These are "investment cars" now, and you can only judge how good the investment is when you sell it. If recent history is anything to go off, $50k for this car is a bargain.

Having said that, @Jix, you'll have to post a whole lot more pictures from every angle, underbody pix, driving and cold start videos, maintenance records, etc to justify asking $50k. Right now this ad is simply not going to cut it.

Dealer is legally obligated to provide ALL service records to you, IF you are the original owner of the vehicle. What you need to do is to go to the dealer in person and talk to service drive manager and tell them what you want. They should be able to provide a very detailed history for every service done at any US dealership.
I think you're touching on broader factors that are trickling down to our cars and driving up values (lack of supply, crazy demand for luxury goods, pent-up Covid demand, seasonality, etc). Trust me, I love it. Mine is in what I consider excellent condition with relatively low miles (70k), so I should be riding the wave. It's great. To me, cars are never really an investment for 99% of applications, so any potential appreciation is fine, but I'm not going to base my portfolio on the success of my M5's "market value".

One more point, to me, the car and driving experience =/= $50k. Maybe others feel differently, but I don't, so I see a real dissonance between what people are paying and the value of the experience. Again, all subjective so YMMV.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I think you're touching on broader factors that are trickling down to our cars and driving up values (lack of supply, crazy demand for luxury goods, pent-up Covid demand, seasonality, etc). Trust me, I love it. Mine is in what I consider excellent condition with relatively low miles (70k), so I should be riding the wave. It's great. To me, cars are never really an investment for 99% of applications, so any potential appreciation is fine, but I'm not going to base my portfolio on the success of my M5's "market value".

One more point, to me, the car and driving experience =/= $50k. Maybe others feel differently, but I don't, so I see a real dissonance between what people are paying and the value of the experience. Again, all subjective so YMMV.
Oh sure, cars are never investments, but the guy who bought E30 M3 5 years ago for $15k and sold it this year for $65k thinks so. And so do others who see that kind of appreciation in such a short term.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts