BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

WTH - MPG on the V10

26K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  whatheheck 
#1 ·
7.7-8.1 MPG, and it doesn't change when I'm on the highway. Do I have a lemon? I am shifting correctly, as far as I know. Is the computer inaccurate?

#2 ·
I got an '07 M6, yearly average is 14.4 MPG. Highway (~180 miles) gets a little over 18.

#4 ·
Try resetting your averages and running through a few tanks, shouldn't take long. I'm usually around 10 - 12 MPG, that is as long as I'm driving the beast as it's meant to be driven.

#6 ·
I get in the 8-9 mpg range. I have only about 18,000 miles on my 07 ragtop.
With my 4 year maintenance/warranty about to end, I was starting to worry I had troubles, but it is good to hear others are in the same range.
I've reset my mpg gauge and it does seem to bump up my reading to 9-12 mpg, but then drops back.
My mileage is 60% highway 40 % local.

#8 ·
I filled up a full tank yesterday, and the "miles left till empty" hiked all the way up to 327 miles, which gives me roughly 17 miles to the gallon :eek:h: thats pretty good for a V10 in my opinion. All highway driving of course.

#10 ·
No lemon! Sounds like you are driving verycherrsagai aggressively as you should. Try to get it down to around 7 MPG and you get an A++ grade!

#11 ·
Cruise in 7th at legal highway speeds and you will do OK (15 - 20 mpg) but stuck in stop and go traffic, or a heavy foot and high RPMs (which is where the fun is) only proves the old adage: You play, you pay!

I average 13.5 mpg over all as my 30 mile daily commute is some neighborhood streets, suburban roads and quite a bit of freeway cruising. If I know I will have to drive downtown in rush hour, I know its better to take the Mini Cooper (but the M6 is far quieter, smoother, luxurious, and powerful).

#13 · (Edited)
As others have mentioned, it is always a good idea to reset your fuel consumption when driving on the freeway and driving on city streets.
I do this regularly.

When I drive my beast on the freeway, for an extended periods of time, on 7th gear and in cruise control at 65mph - I get between 19 -21 mpg consistently.

When driving my beast hard on city streets, hard acceleration, hard braking, cruise on high RPM - I get between 7.9 - 9 mpg.

Attachments

#16 ·
I was gonna give the clutch reset a try later this evening when I go out for my midnight prowl. :eek:

When you hold the up and down shift levers, does it give you some sort of audible or visual acknowledgement?

-b.

#21 ·
My mixed highway mpg (70% highway, 30% city) is 13.8mpg - w/ "spirited" highway driving..

however, check out what she did on cruise control @ 65mph for 21 miles!!

Like everyone said, try resetting your trip computer.. You should be able to squeeze over 300 miles of highway driving w/ 1 tank (conservative driving).

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.