BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I got an '07 M6, yearly average is 14.4 MPG. Highway (~180 miles) gets a little over 18.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
7.7-8.1 MPG, and it doesn't change when I'm on the highway. Do I have a lemon? I am shifting correctly, as far as I know. Is the computer inaccurate?
The computer calculates the average over the total mileage of the car.

If your car has low mileage, the averages respond quicker. If your car has high mileage, the avreages take longer to show changes.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Try resetting your averages and running through a few tanks, shouldn't take long. I'm usually around 10 - 12 MPG, that is as long as I'm driving the beast as it's meant to be driven.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I get in the 8-9 mpg range. I have only about 18,000 miles on my 07 ragtop.
With my 4 year maintenance/warranty about to end, I was starting to worry I had troubles, but it is good to hear others are in the same range.
I've reset my mpg gauge and it does seem to bump up my reading to 9-12 mpg, but then drops back.
My mileage is 60% highway 40 % local.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I filled up a full tank yesterday, and the "miles left till empty" hiked all the way up to 327 miles, which gives me roughly 17 miles to the gallon :eek:h: thats pretty good for a V10 in my opinion. All highway driving of course.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
7.7-8.1 MPG, and it doesn't change when I'm on the highway. Do I have a lemon? I am shifting correctly, as far as I know. Is the computer inaccurate?
No lemon! Sounds like you are driving verycherrsagai aggressively as you should. Try to get it down to around 7 MPG and you get an A++ grade!

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Cruise in 7th at legal highway speeds and you will do OK (15 - 20 mpg) but stuck in stop and go traffic, or a heavy foot and high RPMs (which is where the fun is) only proves the old adage: You play, you pay!

I average 13.5 mpg over all as my 30 mile daily commute is some neighborhood streets, suburban roads and quite a bit of freeway cruising. If I know I will have to drive downtown in rush hour, I know its better to take the Mini Cooper (but the M6 is far quieter, smoother, luxurious, and powerful).

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Try resetting your averages and running through a few tanks, shouldn't take long. I'm usually around 10 - 12 MPG, that is as long as I'm driving the beast as it's meant to be driven.
+1

·
Premium Member
8,369 Posts
As others have mentioned, it is always a good idea to reset your fuel consumption when driving on the freeway and driving on city streets.
I do this regularly.

When I drive my beast on the freeway, for an extended periods of time, on 7th gear and in cruise control at 65mph - I get between 19 -21 mpg consistently.

When driving my beast hard on city streets, hard acceleration, hard braking, cruise on high RPM - I get between 7.9 - 9 mpg.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
good

No lemon! Sounds like you are driving verycherrsagai aggressively as you should. Try to get it down to around 7 MPG and you get an A++ grade!
1. I need to reset the MPG calculator. Didn't realize how until today.
2. I'm having FUN with the carcherrsagaicherrsagaicherrsagaicherrsagaicherrsagaicherrsagaicherrsagaicherrsagaicherrsagaicherrsagai:wroom::wroom::wroom::wroom::wroom::M5eyes:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All is well. I hit the reset switch on the MPG calculator while ascending upon the interstate highway.

21.1 MPG on the highway, @ 65 MPH and in 7th gear.

I reset my clutch and noticed crisper shifts.

MPG dropped expectedly as I entered the city.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
All is well. I hit the reset switch on the MPG calculator while ascending upon the interstate highway.

21.1 MPG on the highway, @ 65 MPH and in 7th gear.

I reset my clutch and noticed crisper shifts.

MPG dropped expectedly as I entered the city.
I was gonna give the clutch reset a try later this evening when I go out for my midnight prowl. :eek:

When you hold the up and down shift levers, does it give you some sort of audible or visual acknowledgement?

-b.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I was gonna give the clutch reset a try later this evening when I go out for my midnight prowl. :eek:

When you hold the up and down shift levers, does it give you some sort of audible or visual acknowledgement?

-b.
Nope - no indication that you have reset the clutch.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,369 Posts
Go about 35mph and pull on paddle shifters both at the same time for about 3 seconds.

You wont feel anything during the process.

-b.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts