BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this must sound like the beginnings of a bad joke. I left my house the other morning and suddenly, even with no one else around, I thought someone was honking at me. Looked around no other cars on the road, was then sure it was some ones car alarm - nope. It was my horn - it just started blowing and would not stop until I shut off the car.

Drove on and starts again, I hit the horn a few times and it stops. This has repeated itself several times since - very embarrasing. So I guess you could say my car is blowing itself...

Anyone?

Cheers,

Doug

·
Registered
590 Posts
2_fast said:
I know this must sound like the beginnings of a bad joke. I left my house the other morning and suddenly, even with no one else around, I thought someone was honking at me. Looked around no other cars on the road, was then sure it was some ones car alarm - nope. It was my horn - it just started blowing and would not stop until I shut off the car.

Drove on and starts again, I hit the horn a few times and it stops. This has repeated itself several times since - very embarrasing. So I guess you could say my car is blowing itself...

Anyone?

Cheers,

Doug
Doug I hate when that happens, your know the car blowing itself....haha. Anyway it sounds like the horn contacts under the air bag module might be bad or broken. I have seen this before in other cars, they have plastic insulators that break and short out, hence the horn blows. You should be able to get new ones from BMW but you have to remove the air bag module to install it. Call BMW parts and ask if they are available.

It also could be the stuck horn relay but they are usually pretty reliable.

Just a couple of things to check.

Joe

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Joe,

I'll call tomorrow and check on the availability of the horn contacts. I kind of remember thinking I heard something sound broken in the steering wheel about the time this happened.

I mean this has to stop, if there is going to be any blowing going on it shouldn't be the car...

Cheers

·
Registered
88 Posts
This happened to me a few months ago.

Sounded like a piece of plastic was falling around inside the steering wheel and horn kept going off.

I fell out with my neighbours as it kept going off at 7.00am when i was leaving the house

Eventually i disconnected the horn until i could get to a delaer as it was driving me nuts.

I made a half hearted attempt to get inside the steering wheel but did not manage.

Dealer fixed it in under an hour.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
hudson said:
Doug I hate when that happens, your know the car blowing itself....haha. Anyway it sounds like the horn contacts under the air bag module might be bad or broken. I have seen this before in other cars, they have plastic insulators that break and short out, hence the horn blows. You should be able to get new ones from BMW but you have to remove the air bag module to install it. Call BMW parts and ask if they are available.

It also could be the stuck horn relay but they are usually pretty reliable.

Just a couple of things to check.

Joe
Agreed:cool:

·
Registered
190 Posts
2 Fast and Rest:

This just happened to me this weekend. The self-blowing horn.

I also hear a grinding under my steering wheel when I turn it hard right or left. Terrible sound like something is being crushed.

Anyway, the horn finally killed itself and stopped. I can only assume the fuse blew, haven't checked it yet.

What was the final repair cost? I have an extended warranty, wonder if it will be covered under that. This is an 01 with about 60K miles on it.

Thanks,
pt

·
Registered
584 Posts
well, I have this problem now... im gonna see if i can make some type of write-up with pics on it for those this may happen to again! lol.
ps: its not a good thing when you know you're driving thru a bad part of town and your horn starts honking outta nowhere. whew! i had a lot of mean muggers around me. NOT COOL.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Step one: Pull out the fuse for the horn

Step two: bring to a dealer or open up the horn and screw back two screws. No parts are need.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Happened to me too - and the horn would only sound when there were people about!!

Turned out to be one of the screws that holds the lower steering wheel cover, the one with the ///M badge. It had come loose and was intermittently bridging the gap on the horn contacts.

I removed the cover, retrieved the screw, replaced everything and it never happened again.

Richie.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It just happened to me. Horn kept blowing, only way to stop it was to tap on the horn !!?!!

As richie_rvf said, it was a loose screw inside the steering wheel making a short circuit to the horn switch. I took couple of pictures. Very easy fix: put back the screw where it belongs...
Make sure to disconnect the battery before to disconnect the airbag.

To remove the airbag, I watched this video to understand how it is attached:

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
It just happened to me. Horn kept blowing, only way to stop it was to tap on the horn !!?!!

As richie_rvf said, it was a loose screw inside the steering wheel making a short circuit to the horn switch. I took couple of pictures. Very easy fix: put back the screw where it belongs...
Make sure to disconnect the battery before to disconnect the airbag.

To remove the airbag, I watched this video to understand how it is attached:
Thanks for the video and information. My horn started honking when ignition on. Six months ago BMW service techs replaced the recalled airbags. I'm wondering if that could have had an effect of the loose screws that are causing the horn to honk. BMW doesn't want to take responsibility, of course. Instead they want to charge me $1,000.00 to fix it. Thoughts?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for the video and information. My horn started honking when ignition on. Six months ago BMW service techs replaced the recalled airbags. I'm wondering if that could have had an effect of the loose screws that are causing the horn to honk. BMW doesn't want to take responsibility, of course. Instead they want to charge me $1,000.00 to fix it. Thoughts?
Just remove the airbag and check the screw. Literally a 10 minutes job max. Be sure to disconnect the battery first and let the car stand for 5 minutes before removing the airbag.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts