BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just a quick request for some help please,

Can anyone suggest where I might be able to purchase a rear spoiler with a built in 3rd brake light for my M5 Touring?

I tried an aftermarket (and not too cheap) LED strip based 3rd Brake light, but the brakes stopped working an I blew a fuse in the fuse box!

I gather that due to the lamp control module (that brings up an error if a bulb failed on the OBC) that I will probably only be able to fit an original BMW part.

I have checked prices with BMW and all the parts required - sold separately of course :-( comes to over £300!!

I would hope that a similar spoiler with a built in brake light from any 5 Series Touring would be ok - but am not sure if the other Tourings had such an item as optional equipment.

Any advice help much appreciated!
TIA
:)
Sandeep

·
Registered
75 Posts
Beware!
You'll have to buy the rear glass as well as it has two holesin the middle top of the glass that the spoiler screws go through.
I know because I have done it in order to bring mine to the US.
The best way is to find all you need at a scrap yard: I bought the entire rear door with all attachements for $ 500.
Careful when you exchange the glass as the screws that hold it MUST NOT be tightened too much otherways the rear window will break/explode.
There are three screws on each side the middle one is the spoiler one the above and below ones are for the glass, if you take the plastic cover off on the sides you'll see them.
Jaime

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi jamgusa,

Thanks for the very helpful advice.

I am fortunate I think in that the M5 Touring already has a spiler, but it is one without a build in 3rd Brake light.

Hopefully this means that the holes that you mention in the rear window are already there, but that is very helpful advice about not overtightening screws - thanks!

Do you have any info on wiring for the rear window spoiler with combined 3rd brake light too?

rgds,
Sandeep

·
Registered
75 Posts
Perhaps I was not clear enough.
Mine had the spoiler without the third light. They ALL had the black plastic/rubber spoiler.
The non third light spoiler does NOT have the middle screws (which are the ones that hold the third light lens to the spoiler itself) and therefore not the holes for them in the glass.
To put the third light spoiler you HAVE to change the glass
Period
Or have someone put holes in the glass which is not an alternative.
The wiring runs from the third light lens inside the spoiler and comes out just like the rear heated window one which is on the left hand side, but on the right hand side. It clips on the side of the strut and then runs into the side along the other wiring loom and then in the extra hole in the rubber side cover
It is exactly a replica of the other wiring on the other side.
You then just run an extension, one to the right hand side brake light and one to ground, unless you are lucky and the loom has the extra factory wire.
Jaime

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

Thanks for the further details. I think the misunderstanding was mine rather then any lack of clarity on your part!

Looks like I need to look into another option.

I just get a bit concerned on the startled looks in the rear view mirror when I slam on the brakes!

I always try to drive with enough braking in front and take into account the likely performance of the brakes of the car in front too - I just don't think that other drivers necessarily factor this in.

Wouldn't want to cause a fellow driver tailing me a nasty shock and want to give them as much notice as possible that I am slowing down (rather rapidly in some cases!) & avoid any rear end shunt of course (have heard of some terrible whiplash injuries from theses situations...)

Your help is really appreciated. Thanks.

Sandeep

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
M5TouringFan said:
Hi,

Thanks for the further details. I think the misunderstanding was mine rather then any lack of clarity on your part!

Looks like I need to look into another option.

I just get a bit concerned on the startled looks in the rear view mirror when I slam on the brakes!

I always try to drive with enough braking in front and take into account the likely performance of the brakes of the car in front too - I just don't think that other drivers necessarily factor this in.

Wouldn't want to cause a fellow driver tailing me a nasty shock and want to give them as much notice as possible that I am slowing down (rather rapidly in some cases!) & avoid any rear end shunt of course (have heard of some terrible whiplash injuries from theses situations...)

Your help is really appreciated. Thanks.

Sandeep
Hi Sandeep

As another fellow relatively new M5 Touring person I understand your dilemma but I think that however many lights you have on the back of the car they will always drive too close.

Think the answer is to drive defensively as I think the element of supprise is even greater in a Touring than in a saloon and I have no M5 badges on the back either ;).

So the poor soles behind me have no idea about what they are following:confused3

Had the same problem with other fast and rare cars I have owned people have no idea what they are following and are way too close. Even in traffic I find this happens.

Good luck with your decision about how you handle this, but IMHO I am not sure a light is going to make a difference.

On one occasion even though I had been indicating for a while still nearly had someone in the back of me and I am pretty anal about checking the lights work.

Simon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts