BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I saw a 00 silverstone FS, I love the color but want an 02 or 03. Anybody here know the last year siverstone was made?

The interior was black, not my favorite color, but all the M5s I have seen are black.

What are the pluses and minuses of 00 versus 02 or 03?

Scott

·
Registered
531 Posts
The '00 are knows to burn more oil, and had the smaller nav screen.

I think the Silverstone was offered all years, but I'd defer to others on that.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
My car is Silverstone and is an '00. It does not burn oil at all and it is an 11/99 build so it has the "race" type piston rings.

Silverstone was available in '00 and '01 I believe and was changed to the color Blue Water after that.

Another difference between the '00 models and the subsequent models was the angel eye headlights.

I changed mine at around 88,000 miles primarily because of pitting and it made a huge difference.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Silverstone was only offered through '01 on the M5 unless someone bought an individual package. But that is hard to do when in the States. If you want an '02 or '03 look into Bluewater Metallic. More blue hue to it, but still good looking.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
My '00 Silverstone has a production date of 4/00 and does not burn a drop of oil.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Bad example of Blue Water, the last picture on this link is really what blue water is about...

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44801&highlight=Hyde+Park

ard said:
Mine is a Bluewater Metallic, 2003...

I've heard it is very close to the silverstone.

Here's some pics:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=476148&postcount=30

Note that these were done in a low angle sun that helps with color saturation- in noon sun it is more silver.

All Black sport interior..

A

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
2001 - 2002 = larger NAV screen, new steering wheel, angel-eye headlights, LED tail lights

2003 = as above plus DVD rather than CD-based NAV

Obviously the later cars will have some factory warranty remaining and you are more apt to find CPO examples.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for pix, blue water looks great.

Local dealer has a 00 silverstone for a good price. A little over 50K miles it has been CPOed. I don't know the actual build date, but it has the old style headlights. I kinda want it, but may hold out for a later model.

I suspect blue water is kinda rare, I see loads of black, silver and red M5, a few LS blues.

I have an 02 Mroadster with the S54 motor... the one that blows up. Don't want to risk that again with a M5.

-- Scott

·
Registered
531 Posts
The BMW Registry has all the details about what is different. In the "Best of" Forums, there is a link to the TotalBMW buyers Guide for the E39 M5, which may be helpful in your search.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts