BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to ditch my KW v1 coils and go back to spring/shock combo. I'm looking at purchasing Koni shocks. Let me know what you all think would fit best. TIA

·
Registered
861 Posts
As someone who constantly considers coilovers, but messed with my suspension on my E46, I feel like I don't want to mess with my E39 one bit. Curious as to why you are deciding to go back?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As someone who constantly considers coilovers, but messed with my suspension on my E46, I feel like I don't want to mess with my E39 one bit. Curious as to why you are deciding to go back?
I got tired of the ride quality. I recently had the front KW's serviced in hopes it would get rid of the 'bouncy' ride. That lasted for about a week and then I was over it. I have no idea what is going on- but the front passenger side for some reason feels weaker, plus I have the front coils dialed all the way up and it still sits too low for my taste. I highly doubt I screwed up the install because my mechanic gave it a look-over and said everything was fine. Even he doesn't understand why they sit low in front.

I'm also tired of having to avoid imperfections on the road to avoid bottoming out said right strut. I've gone thru about 3 sway-bar links as well. I'm just over it. I realize now this car isn't suited to be on coils (big heavy sedan with leather) unless your purpose is more track oriented. I will be DD'ing this car once again and I want the comfort/forgiveness back. My friend suggest I go with a more advance setup with adjustable rebound/strut along with camber plates and corner balance features, but like I said, unless I am tracking the car there is no point.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good points and advice here, thanks for posting up the details!
No problem. Keep in mind this is just my experience with the KW v1s. There are many members with coils that are happy, to each their own. Also, I purchased them used many years ago hence why I got them serviced recently. Maybe they're just at the end of their life. Plenty of other options to choose from but I just want my comfort back, especially now that I have the M2 which is a stiff enough ride already lol

·
Registered
861 Posts
HA yeah well, I am sure that a new M2 would make the M5 feel mushy! One other thing that's peeved me about coilovers is the need to use spacers up front which just annoys me. Most that I have seen have the spring mount or shock body come too close to the wheel/tire and have to be pushed out a wee bit so they don't rub. I'm all set with spacers at this point in my life too :) Kinda growing up I guess!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HA yeah well, I am sure that a new M2 would make the M5 feel mushy! One other thing that's peeved me about coilovers is the need to use spacers up front which just annoys me. Most that I have seen have the spring mount or shock body come too close to the wheel/tire and have to be pushed out a wee bit so they don't rub. I'm all set with spacers at this point in my life too :) Kinda growing up I guess!
Such is life lol

Bump!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I had the same experience, bought my current M5 with Bilstein PSS9 coilovers and hated the ride quality. It was unbelievably stiff. Though I've had coilovers on both my previous M5s (BC and ST), the PSS9s were a lot stiffer. I decided instead of going with another coilover setup I'd try the Dinan/Koni setup and I'm glad I did.

Ride is so much more comfortable, height is perfect for my taste, and the seller I bought my springs/shocks from also had the Dinan non-adjustable camber plates installed which was a nice surprise when I picked them up! Now I can drive over bumpy NY roads without any pain 😂

While the car rolls slightly more when cornering(I'm still on stock sway bars), I don't feel like I lose any handling speed or traction. It feels like I have a better sense of exactly what the chassis is doing when driving hard now and I'm better able to manipulate my weight balance for cornering performance. The setup just feels right, like it was made to work with the car's suspension geometry (because it was!) The camber plates definitely help with turn in as well.

All in all not only did my experience make me second guess coilover upgrades, it also made me a fan of Dinan's sometimes overpriced products 😂Dinan does the R&D required to ensure their parts work perfectly with the car's suspension geometry and characteristics rather than just ensuring that they "fit"

I recommend Dinan springs as opposed to the other options just because of the thought and R&D they put into developing them to work perfectly with our cars for maximum possible performance and comfort. From what I remember, the other spring options all lower the car quite a bit more than the Dinan springs.

Good luck finding what you're looking for, you'll be more than happy with the result!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts