Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The time has come. I must have one.

Looking for the following colors:

Le Mans Blue
Alpine
Carbon Black
Sterling Gray
Imola

I greatly prefer single-tone interiors, non-sport with wood. But I can deal with exceptions if the rest of the car makes up for it.

Also prefer <90k miles, but again, exceptions can be made for big binders of maintenance records.

Mods are fine

Currently, I have about $25k cash to spend, but I'm on a project with Zero personal expenses, so my budget increases on a weekly basis.

I suppose shipping is an option, so still show me what you have if you're in CA or the east coast, but I'd really prefer a car I can spend some time with ahead of time unless you're a well known and seasoned member here.

I've got a fever, and the only cure is more S62! Let's see what you've got!

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
engine runs silent, no vanos issue, and i dont have any pics, but there's no cosmetic blemishes on the car, its going to be detailed something within next few weeks, and the inside looks pretty nice as well. the car does have a leather dash so its not a sport package car.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Sounds good to me. If you can grab some pictures and a price, I'd definitely be interested. The main reason I was after a 02-03 was because they redesigned the Vanos in that period - but I don't know exactly what they did. Any mods?

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Sounds good to me. If you can grab some pictures and a price, I'd definitely be interested. The main reason I was after a 02-03 was because they redesigned the Vanos in that period - but I don't know exactly what they did. Any mods?
actually, the vanos changed over in march of 00, all the cars from 01-03 are identical. other then that all the cars are same "mechanically" after march 00.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
actually, the vanos changed over in march of 00, all the cars from 01-03 are identical. other then that all the cars are same "mechanically" after march 00.
Ah, cool. I didn't know that. Make sure you post pictures when you get a chance, and we can take it from there.

Anybody else want to chime in? There's lots of colors that haven't been covered. I pay cash!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Chiaretto Red an option? My friends car.

2002, 78k miles, black interior, titianium trim, new clutch, new brakes, no curb rash, no dents or dings, only a few minor paint blemishes, Remus cat back, upgraded stereo speaker system with amplifier and two subs in rear deck.

Needs tires.

Just today my friend asked me to take it to auction next week and I talked him into not doing that yet, but we did get to his bottom dollar price of $17,000. Auction might be a little less, but there is no hassle and I walk out with a check that day that I know is good. Title in hand. Don't be fooled by the price, this is a very nice car.

Email me at [email protected] if you are interested.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Hope you don't get raped auctioning that car off. I was close to buying a 2000 M5 with 72K miles a month or so back and the guy told me he took it to carmax and their written offer was $10300. I could of got it for $13,500 but decided to pass as I really wanted a 2001+ with all the updated stuff. Still a great deal but I knew if I bought it that I would sell to get a newer one.

So what is the story with this why is he so pressed to sell?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hope you don't get raped auctioning that car off. I was close to buying a 2000 M5 with 72K miles a month or so back and the guy told me he took it to carmax and their written offer was $10300. I could of got it for $13,500 but decided to pass as I really wanted a 2001+ with all the updated stuff. Still a great deal but I knew if I bought it that I would sell to get a newer one.

So what is the story with this why is he so pressed to sell?
Yeah, Carmax is a joke on trade in values. They always find the lowest 3 comps in the region and then tell you that is what they can pay. Here in Indiana, auction prices are good, and a rare car like this will get attention. Despite "book value", I think it would bring 16 to 17k, and if an enthusiast can get a deal on it instead of some other dealer making money, I figured we'd give it a shot.

He isn't pressed to sell, but with 3 cars and a golf cart and the other misc. stuff we put in our garages, he is very cramped with a car he hardly drives (an infant and a toddler have a lot to do with that). I had the car stored at my shop for him for the last six months, so it wasn't so pressing when he had room to breath at home.

·
Registered
610 Posts
If that was any other color than that I would pay to have you take it somewhere for a PPI and fly up this weekend and drive it home. Price is excellent for the mileage and great recent service especially the clutch.

I felt bad for the guy with the 2000 in my area. I did not low ball or attempt to steal it away knowing what carmax was giving him. He told me if I did not but for $13500 he was taking it to carmax to sell it and think it was going to be close to that. He originally was asking 18K I think and this was when I first starting looking for the E39. After he got the carmax price he reduced the asking price to 15K on craigslist and told me he would take $13500 and sold it the next day.

I really hope most people don't trade cars in for that kind of money even outside these.

·
Registered
647 Posts
If that was any other color than that I would pay to have you take it somewhere for a PPI and fly up this weekend and drive it home. Price is excellent for the mileage and great recent service especially the clutch.
You need to see the color in person to appreciate it. I get nothing but compliments from other BMW enthusiasts. They ask if it's a BMW Individual color (usually the first question they ask) or custom painted. Chiaretto Red, like Carbon Black, changes color (cooper, purple, burgundy) under different lighting and shades.

Take a look at the gallery: http://www.m5board.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=526 Make sure you click the pics posted by DRM. Those pics changed my mind completely when I was in the market shopping for an E39 M.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Boosted

Tried Pm'ing you but as I don't have enough posts the web site will not let me. If you pm me your home email, I can answer your questions direct.

Steve in the uk

·
Registered
523 Posts
Boosted, are you still looking? I've recently considered selling my M5 and would entertain offers. Its a 2000, in Anthracite, and 92K miles but its an amazing car, super clean, and has some very nice mods. If the price was right I might accept.

take a look at the mods in my signature

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Boosted, are you still looking? I've recently considered selling my M5 and would entertain offers. Its a 2000, in Anthracite, and 92K miles but its an amazing car, super clean, and has some very nice mods. If the price was right I might accept.

take a look at the mods in my signature
I'm still in the market. Have you updated yours to face-lift headlights and nav? Send me some pictures, and we'll take it from there.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hello boys and girls -

I'm in Europe for a few weeks, but I'll still be on the market when I get back. If anyone's looking to sell soon or thinking about selling, let me know!

Bonus points for euro spec cars!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts