BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a new 2001 Royal Red/Caramel M5, and just loved the car. I sold it in 2003 and switched to an '04 X5, as I needed towing capability. Since I hate the Banglized styling of the current cars, it's going to be a nice clean E39 for me. I've been watching the E39 M5 market just crater in SoCal, and decided that they are now affordable enough that I want to buy another one. (I speculate that one of the main reasons why they are currently flooding the SoCal car market, like a lot of other high end vehicles, is that people can no longer use a HELOC to "afford" them. Another victim of the housing crash.)

What I don't want:
-2000 MY
-Black, Silver or White (Boring! Well, actually the Black looks great . . . for up to 15-20 minutes after your done detailing it! My wife's 530i is silver, which is nice but not my speed.))
-Imola Red - I have enough difficulty avoiding tickets in my Indishrot (aka Guards Red) 911 Cab. I don't need it for a daily driver.
-Heavily Modded Car (I have an Automotive engineering background and know how much simulation/testing is behind every choice of design and componentry that goes into an OEM vehicle like the M5)

What I do want:
-I really prefer the Royal Red Metallic of the '01s over the Chiaretto Red of the '02-'03's, but I will consider both. Possibly other interesting colors.
-Caramel Interior
-Folding Rear Seat
-Title in hand
-Documentation
-Low mileage - 50k max

I've seen two Chiaretto Red/Caramel 2002's at two different Santa Monica used car dealers. They are $33k-$35k asking price. and both are approx. 45k miles. I test drove the $35k one and it had obvious cold start idling issues (probably MAF's). I checked it with my Peake and found no codes, but . . .. Other than that it was a pretty clean car. The dealer offered it to me at $32k as I was leaving the lot to get back in my car. Both of these cars have been sitting on the lot for a while.

There is also an '01 Royal Red w/ 30k miles in San Diego at VIP Classics which I may go look at. Asking price is $33.9k. Anyone know the history/owner of this car? I made a call to the dealership and it is supposedly on consignment.

I would prefer to deal with a documented original car from an enthusiest, instead of an overpriced auction car, with no history, from an independant (non-BMW) dealer. Anyone have one that they are looking to sell in the $30k or less range? It will be a cash transaction for a clean, original, clear title car.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Correction, the '01 Royal Red is located at Beverly Hills Motorcars of San Diego (huh?) which used to be called VIP Classics. It's on consignment according to the dealer rep. that I talked with. Does this belong to a board member? Anyone know the history?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I've had a friend in Atlanta already go by and give that car a once over. It has too many miles, and some minor issues. It's CPO would also expire before I can have it shipped out to CA. The search is still on. At a minimum, I'm going to San Diego to look at one on Monday.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ttt

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bump

·
Registered