BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Re: You dont wana see this :(

It seems like someone has been pushing it a bit too hard. I hope the driver is ok.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts

Yeah, probably pushed it a bit hard or didn't have enough experience.

Looks like pretty minor damage...I'm sure the driver is O.K.

Sad...

·
Registered
1,383 Posts

alsahher said:
:crying2:

Anyone have more info about what happened?

I think it is in italy Monza track launch of the M5..

Here are some more pics of it
http://www.maxige.com/Foto/M5/index.html
Maybe Gabriel didn't tell us everything about it then... j/k :byebye:

·
Registered
1,383 Posts

Gabriel343 said:
It's happened saturday afternoon at the Ascari curve, with DSC on :confused: The driver is ok
Glad to hear that he's ok. Everyone can make a mistake every once and a while, too bad that he made one in the new M5.

·
Registered
704 Posts

Gabriel343 said:
It's happened saturday afternoon at the Ascari curve, with DSC on :confused: The driver is ok
Happy to hear the driver was ok.

One comment about DSC. It can keep the driver from spinning or otherwise losing yaw control over the car. However, if you go into a turn way too hot DSC cannot do anything to keep you from sliding off. It cannot make the car stop in any less space that it would otherwise.

If you do slide off DSC can help keep the car pointed forward for a front impact crash which is generally the safest type you can have. If you spin and have a side impact or worse the rims dig into the soft grass and you roll the chances of getting hurt are much greater.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts

Ouch! Reminds me of my accident when I skidded on ice :crying:

·
Registered
207 Posts

... and now, they can give it to me :grrrr:

it's a shame that such a car already is trashed, but you can expect that such things happen with a car with so much power.
Glad the driver is OK

·
Registered
816 Posts

Hope this will be the only one of a smash we ever see here. DSC is good but it's not a miracle. I wonder how else could the variable M differential lock have come in.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts

Other possibilities include:

- The big Bangle butt swung out of control in extreme oversteer.
- The dame Edna headlights failed to fully illuminate the road and lost its way in the dark.
- The driver pressed his left foot down to clutch on a shift and braked hard around a curve
- The HUD blinded the driver.
- The Mdrive button was misprogrammed to activate the P900 mode.
- There was fog but no foglights.

Tom

·
Registered
150 Posts

hi guys,

i saw this photo over at mbworld.
in one of the posts it was claimed that
the M5's had a bad day at the track.
a lot of break failures.
i'll go back to mbworld and post a link.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts

Isnt it just possible that its an over excited journalist? Hopefully not the same fellow (or lady?) who damaged a Porsche Carerra GT........ All that matters is the driver is unharmed.

·
Registered
283 Posts

Enigma said:
Happy to hear the driver was ok.

One comment about DSC. It can keep the driver from spinning or otherwise losing yaw control over the car. However, if you go into a turn way too hot DSC cannot do anything to keep you from sliding off. It cannot make the car stop in any less space that it would otherwise.

If you do slide off DSC can help keep the car pointed forward for a front impact crash which is generally the safest type you can have. If you spin and have a side impact or worse the rims dig into the soft grass and you roll the chances of getting hurt are much greater.
Exactly.

DSC can't stop terminal understeer. When you don't have any traction to begin with, braking a wheel or two here and there isn't going to keep you from sliding. It's really to stop unwanted yaw movements, or to curb power-on oversteer before it starts, and at that it's very very good.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts

With a car as powerful as the M5, it is fortunate that there have not been more incidents with this new beast.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts