BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you would sell your M5 to a buyer who calls you and wants to immediately buy your car sight-unseen?

Probably a too-good-to-be-true scenario, but I see too many risks here - especially when they want to get creative with paying for it and want to send a truck to pick it up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i don't see a problem with that.. alot of people cant leave for a couple days to fly down and drive the car back. i have bought a couple cars off the internet/autotrader and bought them sight unseen and shipped them here.. with no problems

·
Registered
148 Posts
If it helps I purchased my car sight unseen a few months ago but I did do several checks ie; a few great boardmembers checked the car out for me, a wellknown indy did a PPi... everything came back clean and the deal was made. Both parties in the transaction lucked where we were both willing to exchange a certain amount of info to let the other feel comfortable with the deal. If you dont feel right about the person buying the car maybe try selling it locally- might be much more difficult as not everyone know and understands the legend that is our car - dave

·
Registered
571 Posts
You guys have a lot more balls than I do. I personally wouldn't ever buy a car sight unseen. Never have, never will. It's just a personal thing. I don't like handing over a large sum of money without being able to see, touch, and drive it first. I've heard lots of successful transactions but some which didn't go as well also. I wouldn't want to be in the later group. Some things are okay but a $30k + transaction needs more investigation before I would jump in. Good luck in your decision.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Guy is a fool, but you can do it.

he can (1) fedex cash to you, or (2) wire transfer funds into your account.

That
is
it.

Any other option you can be screwed.

Be aware of:
1. Phony cashiers checks
2. Phony escrow services
3. Giving him the title first, then money later, etc

What exactly is he proposing?

You can get equally screwed in person and from afar- your comment about 'creative payment' pricks up my ears...

A

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

That
is
it.

Be aware of:
1. Phony cashiers checks
2. Phony escrow services

You can get equally screwed in person and from afar- your comment about 'creative payment' pricks up my ears...

A
First of all, thanks to everyone for responding. The guy's final offer was contingent upon him flying to my town, looking the car over, and us both going to my financial institution so that he could make the wire transfer from his bank to mine. At that point, title would be turned over to him along with the keys. The next day, he calls back to tell me that his "dealer" would be making the purchase and they would send a truck for it. He all of a sudden was not available to see or pick up the car. He also wanted to know if I would mis-state the mileage. Reason being he claims his bank would not finance a used car over 75,000 miles.

I'm the seller and the vehicle is as stated in the Auto Trader ad. I think I will only entertain buyers, who can come to me in person. There is too much risk selling cars like these nowadays to potential buyers with only email or telephone communications.

Heard of too many scams. I don't even know if I would buy a $700 car on Craigslist without even looking at it first and it is really strange that a buyer would just take my word on an M5. Strange...

·
Registered
1,831 Posts

That
is
it.

Be aware of:
1. Phony cashiers checks
2. Phony escrow services

A
For the record you can't ship cash thru FedEx.:M5rev:

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
First of all, thanks to everyone for responding. The guy's final offer was contingent upon him flying to my town, looking the car over, and us both going to my financial institution so that he could make the wire transfer from his bank to mine. At that point, title would be turned over to him along with the keys. The next day, he calls back to tell me that his "dealer" would be making the purchase and they would send a truck for it. He all of a sudden was not available to see or pick up the car. He also wanted to know if I would mis-state the mileage. Reason being he claims his bank would not finance a used car over 75,000 miles.

I'm the seller and the vehicle is as stated in the Auto Trader ad. I think I will only entertain buyers, who can come to me in person. There is too much risk selling cars like these nowadays to potential buyers with only email or telephone communications.

Heard of too many scams. I don't even know if I would buy a $700 car on Craigslist without even looking at it first and it is really strange that a buyer would just take my word on an M5. Strange...
Well, I wouldn't close the door.... just say "That's fine, but the wire transfer will need to be complete PRIOR to the car being placed on any truck".

The only way I'd consider any 'dealer escrow' would be at a "real" BMW dealership where you speak to the finance manager over a phone number you can independently verify.

GL

A

·
Registered
571 Posts
Well, I wouldn't close the door.... just say "That's fine, but the wire transfer will need to be complete PRIOR to the car being placed on any truck".

The only way I'd consider any 'dealer escrow' would be at a "real" BMW dealership where you speak to the finance manager over a phone number you can independently verify.

GL

A
Would a dealer really hold money in escrow? :dunno: Never heard of that one before. They aren't usually gonna do that unless there is some sort of decent monetary gain with minimum risk.

·
10,456 Posts
i would never buy a car this way, but i did sell my old 528 this way. It was to a guy on bimmerforums, so while i didn't know him personally, i had some knowledge of him. He did the whole deal without seeing the car, based on my word and photos. Then he flew down (after the money went thru), i picked him up at the airport, he drove me home, we packed the car up with extra parts and he drove off into the sunset. Lots of faith on his part, but i'm a good guy...
:)

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
This is exactely how I bought my car. I found it, sent a deposit and flew into town. I was able to look the car over and drive it. Then i bought it and drove it home. I got an incredible deal on my car. Incredible!

I think you would be a "FOOL" not to look outside your immediate area when purchasing a car!!

Good luck,

Ryan

·
Registered
553 Posts
You guys have a lot more balls than I do. I personally wouldn't ever buy a car sight unseen. Never have, never will. It's just a personal thing. I don't like handing over a large sum of money without being able to see, touch, and drive it first. I've heard lots of successful transactions but some which didn't go as well also. I wouldn't want to be in the later group. Some things are okay but a $30k + transaction needs more investigation before I would jump in. Good luck in your decision.
I called a guy from his online ad, asked for more info/photos, then flew down, inspected it, test drove it, had a mechanic inspect it, made final negotiations, paid the man, drove home 350 miles. Did the same for my 540i expect I put it on a truck where it was transported over 2000 miles.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Would a dealer really hold money in escrow? :dunno: Never heard of that one before. They aren't usually gonna do that unless there is some sort of decent monetary gain with minimum risk.
Did it for me, but I paid $500 for that and for them to CPO it in the process!

Essentially the 'escrow' was 8 hours.

Seller dropped off the car, I bought it, they cut a check to the seller, processed my paperwork, I drove it home.

But back to the OT: this SELLER is concerned with a 'sight unseen' buyer. I guess the response is that it happens, but you need to keep your eye on the ball... or, er, money- real money at that, not cashiers checks, etc.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
+1

·
Registered
555 Posts
I've purchased 2 cars sight unseen. 1 in Colorado (I'm in CA) and 1 in PANAMA!! I am fully aware of the scams out there so confirmed the sellers prior to purchase. If things feel uneasy and he constantly changes things on you, I would use your gut and run.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Just be careful in the information you give out, Identity fraud is way too easy for the scammer's, not saying this guy is one'

dont matter if they view it or not as long as you get paid:cheers:

·
Registered
584 Posts
i bought my car seeing it and not driving it (due to wheel/tire issues) but I got such a good deal on it I didn't question the sale. I think I can feel out a person by body language and almost the same with a car!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts