BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you pay extra to order sunroof deletion on new M5?ouich

Is the resulting lowered centre of gravity and improved structural rigidity perceptable? :confused2

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
In Belgium (and most other markets) you have to pay extra to get it. If you don't spec it you get no sunroof.

·
Registered
559 Posts
WilliamCheung said:

Is the resulting lowered centre of gravity and improved structural rigidity perceptable? :confused2
Sit in an E60 in the showroom with a sunroof (they all have them), adjust the seat as you like it and then see if you still need additional headroom. I ordered my E46 M3 without the sunroof because I needed the headroom in that car (I'm 6"3). However, the E60 has such generous headroom, I did not need to delete the sunroof when I ordered my M5. You pay a penalty on resale when you delete the sunroof as well, so don't do it unless you really need to.

Best regards,

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I've never heard how much weight is reduced by eliminating the sunroof. Unless it is significant, a sunroof is a very nice feature.

Tom

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I wouldn't do it. The handling difference will be non-existent. I would guess the sunroof may add 20 lbs or so over the steel roof. More importantly, you'll be missing a nice feature, and your resale will definitely suffer. You'll end up paying twice for the deletion.

·
Registered
100 Posts
WilliamCheung said:

I would have ordered it as an option if it did not come as standard . crg

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
WilliamCheung said:
Would you pay extra to order sunroof deletion on new M5?
Only if I can pay even more and have them take out the rear seats too. Seriously, though, absolutely not. I agree with the above posts.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I agree - and since youll pay on both ends, the total cost might end up being about the same as going with the M6- which has.... no sun roof, a lower center of gravity, and less weight. :)

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Yeah, it would go totally against the feel of the car. I can understand doing it if you need the headroom, and realize that you will get hurt on resale, but for the weight savings (I have heard it is about 40 pounds) then no way.

Jerry, interesting you mention the M6.. this leads me to ponder two points. I wonder if BMW will ever offer a sunroof option... And can I ask a Fisker related question?:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts