BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I'm taking a serious look at a E34 M5 that is in need of some minor body work. Two of the side quarterpanels, and the rear trunk assembly have isolated rust build-up that needs some work. As luck would have it, the owner has bought replacement panels in stock grey so all I need is to have them painted after getting them switched out.

While I am a fan of the car, I'm not a fan of the colour (calypso red I think). Seeing as how a body shop will need to pain the panels, I fear because of the age it will be difficult to get a 100% match. So why not get them to go ahead and re-paint the whole car?

Is this wise? In other words, will a future buyer be turned off that the colour has been changed? The interior is grey so I don't think that it will look too drastic either way.

Thanks Everyone,

Geoffrey

·
Registered
494 Posts
A good bodyshop will be able to match the colour exactly. Mine has had numerous bits painted, and you really can't tell.
Just to illustrate the point, I damaged a front wing earlier this year and replaced it with one from another diamond black car and the colour matches perfectly.

Just make sure that you use a competent bodyshop :thumbsup:

If you're thinking of having the whole car painted a different colour, beware that to do it properly is a huge job. I did it on my 325i and it required me to strip the car to practically a bare shell, and cost a fortune too! It will put some buyers off, but with the relatively low value of the E34 M5, I doubt it'll make a huge difference.

Cheers,
Bryn.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Depends if you want to paint all the door shuts and under the bonnet. If so, as Bryn says, the cost will be HUGE.

Personally, I wouldn't buy an M5 who's colour had changed. Would put me off it completely............... :sad2:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the issue is moot anyway. I asked 5 body shops of various expertise to give me quotes for the work. The cheapest quote, just to fix and pain the affected areas, came out to £1,800! The most expensive was a whopping £4k.

I knew M5's were expensive but this is crazy. :crying:

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Geoff
Shades of red white & silver are more prone to highlighting paint repairs & mismatching under artificial lighting such as street lamps etc.
This patching effect is usually a symptom of bad prep using the wrong colour primer or painting the base & clear coat up to the edge of a panel instead of staggering colour & clear coat & losing the edge of the base colour.

Numerous paint shops will often opt for painting the whole side of a car and lose the colour over the tops of the wings using a mix of thinners and 2 pack clear coat laquer. Some will add a 2 pack base colour tint to the thinners laquer washcoat to lose the colour.

I have seen the really switched on painters lose a repair to a single panel in light metallics like silver but generally with dark metallic colours it is possible to do local rapairs to a single panel using the method described above far more successfully as long as the repair in question is more than 100-150mm away from the edge of the panel, otherwise the applied colour & the wash coat cant lose the colour transition gradually enough & has to be blown into the adjacent panel with the washcoat.

Metallics & pearl flip colours can all be blown in using the modern techiques.

My only advice with paint is cheap only works on mates rates. Otherwise, go for a reputable paintshop where a guarantee is offered.
Paint shops who guarantee against materials & workmanship defects tend not to botch paint by masking door trims & light aperture surrounds so avoiding the lifting laquer edge.

I use Swan Coachworks in Essex on 01268 533994. Ask for Colin or phil
They can paint anything from parts on production agricultural vehicles to a Lamborghini.

Regards
Farrell

·
Registered
38 Posts
djhomeless said:
Hi Everyone,
I'm taking a serious look at a E34 M5 that is in need of some minor body work. Two of the side quarterpanels, and the rear trunk assembly have isolated rust build-up that needs some work. As luck would have it, the owner has bought replacement panels in stock grey so all I need is to have them painted after getting them switched out.

While I am a fan of the car, I'm not a fan of the colour (calypso red I think). Seeing as how a body shop will need to pain the panels, I fear because of the age it will be difficult to get a 100% match. So why not get them to go ahead and re-paint the whole car?

Is this wise? In other words, will a future buyer be turned off that the colour has been changed? The interior is grey so I don't think that it will look too drastic either way.

Thanks Everyone,

Geoffrey
Hi,
I am facing a total repaint job on my car, however I would never consider a change of color. Apart from it being a huge job and cost, it doesn't seem a good idea in all respects. My advice would be to stay with the factory color. This said, the next thing is NOT to save on paint quality. DuPont would be a good choice, and all components to go with the paint should be of the same make. Learn to like the original color of your M5 :)

Regards
Eryk

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
djhomeless said:
Well the issue is moot anyway. I asked 5 body shops of various expertise to give me quotes for the work. The cheapest quote, just to fix and pain the affected areas, came out to £1,800! The most expensive was a whopping £4k.

I knew M5's were expensive but this is crazy. :crying:
What part of london you in??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts