BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m selling a one-of-a-kind, custom designed supercharger for an E34M5. It was installed on my 93 M5 and produced, roughly, 100 additional REAR wheel HP. Translated to flywheel HP, the total output was 465HP. The installation process has been recorded on a wonderful webpage created by Ken Little. You can access it at:

http://www.bayaream5s.com/Building_The_Perfect_Beast_PS_AB_SC-d_M5_Intro_P-1.html

I’m selling the supercharger because I recently bought a Ferrari 355 F1 spyder, and I’ve decided to restore my ‘collector’s’ avus blue M5, with only 24K miles to stock. Rudy Buhler, master BMW mechanic at CG Motorsports has labeled the “kit” components for me and says it is NOW a fully ‘bolt on’ kit. I make this distinction because when I received the first set of “kit” components – as listed below -- they were incomplete and required considerable work and experimentation with the engine management system to ‘get it right’.

What I’m looking for is $4,500 US or approx. $5,800 Canadian. This amount is one-half of the full amount I invested to produce the resulting bolt on kit. Buyer pays shipping.

If you are seriously interested, pls. email me at: [email protected], or tel. 604-737-8207

M5 Supercharger Kit Components

Item

First Set of Components Purchased from Pat Philpot
1) Vortec SQ2 Supercharger Ser. # 24067
2) Custom Machined Bracket for SC
3) smaller, more powerful generated lodged in Machined Bracket
4) Custom Intercooler
5) Set of complete custom made aluminum pipes for intercooler
6) Custom Crankshaft Pulley to Drive Supercharger
7) 3.48” Vortec Blower Pulley (good for 5-7psi)
8) Miscellaneous Bolts for drive pulley + to secure SC to engine
9) 6 ribbed polycog belt for SC
10) alternator belt
11) Idler Pulley for SC Drive Belt
12) Set of adapter hoses to link intercooler pipes etc.
13) Vortec Fuel Pressure Reserve Regulator
Sub-total for First Set of Components

Second Set of Components by Installers – Kinetic Motorsports
14) 6 large Bosch Injectors
15) Modified Oil Cooler Line
16) Modified Radiator Hose
17) Bracket for powersteering fluid reservoir
18) Custom plastic Ring for fan blade
19) Oil filter for oil return
20) Modified oil filter housing cover
21) Split Second Programmable Signal Calibrator
22) Vacuum lines from Split Second to pressure regulator + engine
23) Labor to install, fabricate components + engine management
Sub-total for Second Set of Components

Third Set of Components
23) Custom brackets to firm SC by CG Motorsports BMW
24) All sorts of mini-adjustments to check and improve the SC
25) Unused 3.32” Vortec Blower Pulley (good for 7-9psi)
26) Unused 6 ribbed polycog belt for SC
Sub-total for Third Set of Components

Cheers, Paul, alias Samson

·
Registered
354 Posts
What an amazing opportunity for someone.. Sadly i'm not rich so it's not me.... but I read through the website about the project with great interest.. man on an engineering mission.... The M5 really is a good one too.. I wanted an Avus blue 3.8 but not in my price range yet.. I'd be happy to have mine working actually.... bloody electrics.. haha

·
Registered
84 Posts
Dear Sanson,

Did you sold the kit already?

if yes , can you provide contact info on who buy it ? :crying:

if no still want to sell ? mmmmmm

·
Registered
1 Posts
you'r supercharger kit

you haf the best kit for best car.....

i'm sory cuse i'm asseking abut yuo'r supercharger kit e34 .!!
that kit it vicsed on m5 e34 3.6 ?
from wher you get this kit & how can i order the same kit.?????.

pls rplay...........
[email protected]

·
Registered
7,933 Posts
Do we really want to start this again?

I see a lot of nice custom made screw-on parts on that list..Nice for bragging on birthdays.

However:

The words "Piston" , "crankshaft" , "Headgasket" all shine because of absence.

Bolt on supercharger kits = big no no for me, sorry.

Ken Little's page said:
Installing oil lines from the pan to the SC was a challenge. Unlike other cars, where the pan just pops off, the E34M5 requires that the engine be unbolted and lifted to access the pan. That’s a chore. One alternative was to use a magnetic drill, which would capture the shavings, then insert the oil lines. But the pan was aluminum. The other alternative, which we used, was to drill with a grease rag constantly tugging away shavings,
Sorry, biggest BS I have ever seen. IMO, if you are too lazy to take of even the sump in order to get 100bhp raise, you don't belong near a car with the hood up.

Wout

·
Registered
192 Posts
Wout - have you ever driven a car with a 'bolt on' charger kit?
Reason i ask is i had a VR6 Golf which i fitted a Z-Engieering kit to.
Smooth was not the word for it - you couldnt tell it from Stock OE for driveability.
Not many cars i know where you could floor the throttle at 1000rpm in 5th on a gradient and it would just pull with no bucking.
This was with plug and play GIAC management.
From my experience with mine and quite a few friends who did similar conversions a good conversion will only enhance a good powerplant.....

Pete.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
lagoonM5 said:
Wout - have you ever driven a car with a 'bolt on' charger kit?
Reason i ask is i had a VR6 Golf which i fitted a Z-Engieering kit to.
Smooth was not the word for it - you couldnt tell it from Stock OE for driveability.
Not many cars i know where you could floor the throttle at 1000rpm in 5th on a gradient and it would just pull with no bucking.
This was with plug and play GIAC management.
From my experience with mine and quite a few friends who did similar conversions a good conversion will only enhance a good powerplant.....

Pete.
Whereas me in my N/A Corrado VR6 with just revised head, cams, valves, VGI, etc. and AP brakes used to piss all over Nik Saran's supercharged Golfs at Castle Combe :biggrin:

I remember quite a few supercharged Golfs & Corrados not working right (between 1997-1999) - althought I don't know which kits they had (Vortec or something). Keiran & Mike from the Corrado Club were forever having problems with their's and both of them ended up paying twice over to get them working 'properly' as the people who fitted them wiped there hands of it after about a year of trying.

·
Registered
7,933 Posts
First of all, I respect all you guys a lot and I respect your knowledge and taste in cars too.

Secondly, I must admit that I am not a big fan of the VR6 engine. I think its badly designed, has not enough power output for the displacement,thermically a disaster, and is simply another try from VW to re-invent the wheel, just like the G-lader. ( Pete, just look at the fantastic 20VT engine and you know that I am right! Doesn't mean one can't love the VR6 engine though, its just not a masterpiece IMHO..)

On the other end of the scale, I find BMW's S38 engine. Nearly 90bhp / litre from an engine with large displacement and reliable for hundreds of thousands miles is simply astonishing. This engine displays the very definition of a race-bred, purpose-built, power efficient, factory tuned engine with margin for reliability.

Both mentioned engines cannot be compared. The fact that a bolt-on turbo works on VR6's doesn't mean much to me. I have some experience in Turbo'd engines and I can tell you that lowering compressions and stuff isn't 'just a thing for wimps'.. I found out the hard way.

The S38 is probably one of the least suitable engines out there for forced induction. And even if one would try, a 'cheap' bolt-on kit is the least favourable way..

This engine was thought over by some of the best engineers in the world. Let's not think some calculations and beautifully custom made brackets thrown in a Vortec can even stand in the shadow of the research & development BMW Motorsport did on this engine.

Stock S38, with stock pistons & compression ratio , with some 50-150k miles on it + bolt on supercharger kit = worst nightmare scenario for me...If anybody begs to differ, please fit a bolt-on kit and keep us posted!!I would love to be proven wrong on this one

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Yip, the S38 is a stunning all round engine with a very high bhp/litre figure but in it's 3.8 form it's pretty close to its maximum reliable power. If there had been a safe way to extract another 100 brake then I'd have done it, the reason I went the V8 route is that there only so much you can get out of a 6 cylinder N/A motor. That's why the E60 is a V10, if you don't want to go forced induction then you just have to keep adding cylinders... :D

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
I know that I turn up somewhere in these types of threads & Im probably as welcome as a turd in a swimming pool;)

I agree with much thats been said before but would temper it a little.
My own feeling is that this kit in isolation is a BARGAIN
Its been well engineered & the parts appear high quality.
The parts cost & development support the above.

The negative aspects have also been noted specifically with regard the S38.
10.5:1 cr is not ok for 7psi (4psi maybe)
Heagasket is something I would immediately address.
The age of these engines does not suit the bolt on power attitude.
Its not just the miles, its the yrs too.
The gasket technology is crumbly to say nothing of the other pipes & gaskets around the engine.

If your engine is rebuilt to support this kit, then you will see no problems & running 7psi with 9:1 cr.
Knock sensor tapped into head.
MAP sensor supported Engine management system.
It will work.

I guess my concern is one that London Mike may be able to help with.
All that power, ie 450 ps in an E34 Chasis.
It begs the question of poor weather driving dynamics as most will no doubt tune the chasis to give best handling in favourable conditions.
We all know how much of a handful 340ps can be in the wet...
For track use , attention to weight, brakes & suspension give big gains..ie Dick in Fat ladyhiha

"Power is nothing without control" as they say !

Faz

·
Registered
7,933 Posts
Raymond, Farrell

I don't want to knock this man, but come on, not even taking a sump off to drill some holes?

I am sure the kit is well made, but not even lowering compression when installing a supercharger?
The way farrell describes it, I see no problem when the engine is altered for this stuff.

I agree that its a bargain. However, S38 engines cost only 12k from the factory, so I guess its worth a shot.

excuse me for being sceptical, I just don't think its such a great idea to simply bolt things onto an existing engines that's pretty much on its power limit within the reliability envelope. Don't think of me as a jealous kid in the classroom because he's some 100bhp behind on the owners of this supercharger conversion M5. Just applying wht I've learned, thats all.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
farrell said:
I guess my concern is one that London Mike may be able to help with.
All that power, ie 450 ps in an E34 Chasis.
It begs the question of poor weather driving dynamics as most will no doubt tune the chasis to give best handling in favourable conditions.
We all know how much of a handful 340ps can be in the wet...
For track use , attention to weight, brakes & suspension give big gains..ie Dick in Fat ladyhiha

"Power is nothing without control" as they say !

Faz
And you've hit the nail on the head of course, BMW didn't fit E39's with DSC for nothing :)

The reality is that my car is a handful, there is no doubt about it, and you have to respect it A LOT in the wet. It doesn't mean that you can't keep up a fast pace, but it's the torque that is the killer with the V8, it will spin up and slide in the first 4 gears at the drop of a hat

Arguably the UK is not the ideal place for this car to live as a daily driver, Bill in Oz I suspect has slightly less wet weather concerns than we do

My feeling is that a well set-up E34 with good EDC will just about cope with the power. I still remember when I bought my LE back in '95, if I'm honest then I was not impressed with the power, I was expecting it to be faster. But the handling impressed me a lot, the total package just won me over and I grew to love and appreciate just what BMW had created

The problem is that now it's 11 years later and the sad truth is that our beloved M5's just don't cut it performance-wise. And this is really where I'm coming from with my car, I love everything about the E34, the looks, the handling, and when my engine finally expired after 200,000 well maintained but hard driven miles I had a quandary but also an opportunity

I really really REALLY wanted to fall in love with an E39 M5, God knows I tried to, but the sad fact is that I hated it. I don't mean it had a few faults that I could put up with but overall the package was ok, I mean I was just appalled by the handling and knew that I could never grow to love it, or even live with it

I really didn't want to undertake this conversion because I knew it would be a nightmare but in a bizarre sort of way I felt I had no choice. I've tried to keep everything I love about the E34 but bring it into the 21st century performance-wise. I'm planning to keep this car for quite a long time, which is why I found such a low mileage V8 to put in her. Although it's been a long road and I'm still only half way down it, I hope that I will end up with a car that will keep me happy for the next few years and put off the inevitable question about what I finally have to replace her with

Either that or I'm as mad as a mongoose of course... :D

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Mmm-Five said:
Whereas me in my N/A Corrado VR6 with just revised head, cams, valves, VGI, etc. and AP brakes used to piss all over Nik Saran's supercharged Golfs at Castle Combe :biggrin:

I remember quite a few supercharged Golfs & Corrados not working right (between 1997-1999) - althought I don't know which kits they had (Vortec or something). Keiran & Mike from the Corrado Club were forever having problems with their's and both of them ended up paying twice over to get them working 'properly' as the people who fitted them wiped there hands of it after about a year of trying.
NS's cars kit was never that high and I THINK that a Supercharger on a VR with Fwd is crazy, its mad trying to put the power down on a 200bhp G60. I also remember that they had problems with those kits.

I would go the turbo route. Single turbo don't have to be on boost all the time.. But then I am just in love with my mates Single turbo Supra!!

·
2,485 Posts
Sebring NL said:
Raymond, Farrell

I don't want to knock this man, but come on, not even taking a sump off to drill some holes?

I am sure the kit is well made, but not even lowering compression when installing a supercharger?
The way farrell describes it, I see no problem when the engine is altered for this stuff.
It should be noted that the author is NOT Ken Little, nor was Ken involved in the kit design or installation. Paul Shaw is the author, etc.

·
Registered
7,933 Posts
Paul

to be honest, after FAz and raymond telling me about who Little is , I am not very surprised he wasn't in on this install.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts