BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Would you be interested in a de-limited top speed?

• Yes please, and I live outside the USA

Votes: 74 54.4%
  • Yes please, and I live in the USA

Votes: 56 41.2%
  • No, I and I live outside the USA

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • No thanks, and I live in the USA

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
BMW M might be interested in your choise here as a prospective M5 owner.

Are you interested in a de-limited option for the M5? Today all BMW are limited to a top-speed of 250 km/h (156 mph). For your information you can specify when ordering a Mercedes AMG that you want the limiter raised to 300 km/h (186 mph) from 250 km/h.

Would there be an interest to have that option? I'm thankful for your answers.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Ofcourse I'd like it. I think that you should be able to use the car to it's maximum.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Mercedes Broke the gentlemans agreement and lets the cars run 300.

Why BMW don't you let your cars run 330???

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Even on my M3 3,2 I got to use my de-limited car. Saying bye-bye to Audi RS2 is very releiving etc.

·
Registered
249 Posts
OH FORSURE! If not every bimmer, then just the M-classes should at least not have a limit to its top speed. One pays so much extra to have an M class, just for sheer thrill and extra power.. and its not like there would be a difference if you get a ticket (or even worse, crash) at 250 or over 300... ur screwed either way...I also hate JUST the fact that something is LIMITED on an M class..

·
Registered
816 Posts
What was the original point of that "gentlemen's agreement" anyway? To prevent a "war on top speed"? That's nonesense. They merely started a new war on horsepower ratings. I say throw out all limitations and produce what's optimal for the engine and dynamics!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Ok, now I need to know, WHO IS THE ONLY ONE??

:haha2:

·
Registered
816 Posts
I accidentally clicked the wrong selection!! Oh no!! Sorry everybody. ouich I want to click "Yes please, I live outside the US". My comments above. (I use a laptop and the finger mouse pad is very sensitive).:grrrrr:

·
Registered
955 Posts
max_m5 said:

what's the detail of the gentlemans' agreement?

why do cars like CSL and CL65 AMG have speed limiter, while Porsches don't have limiter on their cars?

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Definetely,

I think Porsche have always just ignored this gentlemens agreement. BMW and Merc have to tread lightly the Green "lentlists" dont need any more of an excuse to start restricting the autobahns more than they already are :(

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Don't hold back the beast - let it run wild. :M5launch:

·
Registered
304 Posts
max_m5 said:

Because driving 330 km/h with a M5 is a mad thing. The BMW is not very secure when driving 300 km/h or more. You don´t have down pressure, you have even up pressure. So your car gets lighter and more sensitive on wind and so on.

On the other hand how many of the people had experience with high speed? Everything is chaning rapidly with increased speed.

I have driven a Porsche 996 tt with 324 km/h and it was something I couldn´t do for more then a few minutes. I have to say, that I have driven in my life more then 20 times on a race circuit. I own also a license for race driving.

So more then 250 km/h schould be only for driver with a license for race driving.

Greetings

AM

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
A manufacturer's speed limit makes little sense except maybe where beyond that speed there is inherent aerodynamic instability or some other significant safety issue that cannot be easily remediated (e.g., by putting on higher-speed tires). It seems that the "safe speed" limit for the M5 with a good driver and suitible road is at least 300kph, and BMW should not limit it below that if at all.

Tom

1 - 20 of 53 Posts