BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been looking for quite a few months for the right e39 M5 in the UK but a good one is hard to find. I have viewed one locally that isn't perfect (late running in service, pixels broken, spots of rust etc) but I may be able to get it at a good price as long as repairs don't run too high. The main concern is the Vanos noise from the passenger side. The car is 2002 with just under 100k miles, here is a video I recorded of the Vanos:

So in decent condition the car would be worth over £9k, average condition £8.5k. I may be able to get it for £7.5k. Should I walk away? Any advice is much appreciated

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hello g1344304! I don't currently own an M5, but I do have a good amount of experience with them from E39Source; this is Kennan, if you're familiar with the site and channel!

Anyways, I wouldn't turn the car down due just to VANOS rattle. Some E39 M5s have it worse than others, but it does not in anyway stunt the performance of the car nor does it harm the engine; it is simply an annoyance. The noise is a result of the slack tolerance in the VANOS system. Naturally, as I am sure you know and if it bugs you enough, you can send the VANOS gears into DrVANOS for repair if you're handy with a set of spanners, but otherwise, I would not worry about it.

One thing I would replace is the lower chain tensioner as it is probably worn and is contributing to the noise. The part number for that is: 11311406261 The two noises are pretty closely related, so it is worth thinking about. I would also do an oil change right away. I didn't hear much lifter tick, but it might also help quiet the engine down. After listening to your video, I would very seriously consider that M5 as it is one amazing car, as I am sure you know. Good luck with everything, I hope you find the right M5 soon. Cheers!

·
Registered
73 Posts
That's exactly what mine sounds like too, mine had 92K when I got it and it has 97K, the noise hasn't changed from day one.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
You guys are driving cars with that much noise? Have you not read the posts on how to repair the boards? IE vanos maintenance? To the OP that noise is not a huge problem likely but you want a few grand off for it. Then you want to read posts marked as vanos maintenance and be sure you can do that work.To those that have that noise shame on you for not doing the most important simple maintenance you could do.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
No that is a bad thought. The noise is caused by a lack of oil flow or too much oil flow, just depends on which noid is doing what. rebuilding the boards is so well documented here. You should be banned from the board if you want to ignore it. If the vanos is not working right you are losing HP and TQ.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Phil Crouch at CPC had my car just before I bought it and fitted a reconditioned VANOS unit to bank 1, the car has sounded the same ever since then so if it was that much of an issue he would have said.

To those that have that noise shame on you for not doing the most important simple maintenance you could do.

Stop being such a condescending git.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I ve been working on e39 M5s for some time, I would buy it even with vanos rattle for sure, you can get it cheaper that way, I suggest removing the heads, cleaning the secondary air ports out and slightly boarding them as well, port and polish, there's tons of casting imperfections and match port the itbs as well, theses cars open up and love the fresh air. Twin turbos are the next thing I am putting on it, making my own manifolds to mount the turbos where I have easy access and no clearance issues. in other words, BUY IT!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I ve been working on e39 M5s for some time, I would buy it even with vanos rattle for sure, you can get it cheaper that way, I suggest removing the heads, cleaning the secondary air ports out and slightly boarding them as well, port and polish, there's tons of casting imperfections and match port the itbs as well, theses cars open up and love the fresh air. Twin turbos are the next thing I am putting on it, making my own manifolds to mount the turbos where I have easy access and no clearance issues. in other words, BUY IT!
Not to derail the OP, but please post up on the progress of this turbo build :).

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Completely false.
I wouldn't say that. At idle, the intake cam VANOS pistons are almost fully forward and the exhaust cam pistons are almost fully back. The DME holds them just off the hard end stops at 55 deg and 5 deg timing so they don't hammer on the stops, If solenoids are passing or plugged, the DME may not be able to maintain a steady oil pressure on the front side of a piston to keep it off the stops.

There are other causes like worn spring washers, sloppy VANOS gears, and weak tensioners but there have been examples of solenoid repair quietening noise.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I will for sure, we're updating our website, we also are in the middle of a 01 750il turbo build, you can see out 800 wheel horse power e36 m3 daily driver we built for one of our customers, just sucks we can't hook up like the 1100 whp evo we did.... Check us out if you want, just completed a tt kit for a 64.5 Mustange with a coyote 440 hp factory motor, need to finish the wiring, but after the set up should put down 900, we have a dyno in out shop, so these are no bs power statements.... speedforceracing.com.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts