BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading on other members clutch posts. Do it yourself or dealership install. Aftermarket and Factory replacement. This board is WONDERFUL!! Sometimes the information is just overwhelming though.
So...to simplify my searching. I am requesting some assistance on making a decision.

I will be having my rear main seal replaced soon. I believe my factory clutch to be perfectly fine. However, with the clutch known to be the weakest link. I would really like to have it replaced while the transmission is out. Dealership will be performing the rear main seal work.

What are some good brands but reasonably priced clutch kits out there? Something that will handle more than what stock output is on the Beast.

Secondly, is it worth purchasing a lightweight flywheel for the vehicle? If so, I would like to stick with same name brand as the clutch kit if possible. I am not fixed on it though.

Lastly, I know if I do purchase these items, the dealership may just install them just to install them. What are the things that are MANDATORY when swapping. I would not want a weak link and the dealership tell me that I never requested for it to be replaced.

Thanks again everyone. Don't know where I would be without you all. (other than have more money in my acct). :M5thumbs:

:cheers:

·
Registered
167 Posts
It sounds a bit like you haven't gotten confirmation from the dealer that they'll install these items. You should really check into that first, as from a dealership they may not do it. They might talk about warranty on the work they provide etc.

From what i understand, the stock clutch is pretty decent at it's job. Do you know how many miles are on yours? Might want to have them look at it while the work is being done, then make the call for a clutch there. I understand about saving work etc. But is it possible that if you go spend a chunk on new clutch/flywheel, open it up to see you've got 80% left and you've just wasted a bit of money?

·
Registered
12,891 Posts
Any advice out there?? I don't want to be on this post...

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67826&highlight=clutch

However, I don't know too much about quality and availability of clutch / flywheel applications for the Beast. Is UUC really that bad? What is the difference between the V12 and the direct fit.

Anything?? Input??
The V12 is a good concept. Basically reworked parts out of a V12 850. The idea is that the clutch is much bigger and therefore better able to handle the torque load of the M5. Diameter goes from 9 5/8 to 11 inches. However, it also goes from a dual mass flywheel to single mass. The advantage of DM flywheel is that is helps damp power pulses and gives smoother engagement. In addition, the UUC has a "gear lash" issue, described as sounding like a diesel. Some cars seem to have it worse than other. Partial fixes are RP tranny fluid (thicker, helps damp out the vibration) and raising idle speed 2-300 rpm. Note that the gear lash is only present when at idle and clutch pedal released. If you push the clutch pedal in, the noise goes away. Many people find that an acceptable tradeoff, especially as the power goes up. The stock clutch is not designed for the stock power of the beast, so adding power only exacerbates the problem.

"Direct fit" should be a bolt in replacement, same size as stock. There have been a variety of experiences, some good, some bad. There is a thread right now discussing the issue.

There is also Spec clutch and I believe Clutchmasters. What you are probably looking for is a better pressure plate to hold the extra power. Search for discussions about these two, again, I think mixed experience.

The "stock" clutch is made by Luk or Sachs. If you search, you can find the parts at auto stores for about half what the dealership wants. I would ask the dealer to recommend any other parts they think need replacing (throw out bearing, clutch fork etc)

Might do a search, or PM a couple of the more knowledgable board members with hands on experience. Lots of opinions on this.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
7 Posts
With all of the horror stories regarding the UUC Clutch, I am leaning toward the Rogue clutch/flywheel setup or Dinan. Any experienced opinions?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the information. If my dealership states that they won't install a new clutch while its out would seem odd, especially if I am paying them for the extra work. However, if they said they can not without charging me full labor I will leave it stock. However, if they do, I don't want to be searching while they have the car. I would like to do my research now with the anticipation of putting a clutch / flywheel that will be more suitable for the M5.

I do know that there will be some trade offs. I also know that everyone will have differences of opinions. But, from having NO EXPERIENCE with this car at all. I would rather make my choices off of those other experiences to limit my own ventures. :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thank you for the information. If my dealership states that they won't install a new clutch while its out would seem odd, especially if I am paying them for the extra work. However, if they said they can not without charging me full labor I will leave it stock. However, if they do, I don't want to be searching while they have the car. I would like to do my research now with the anticipation of putting a clutch / flywheel that will be more suitable for the M5.

I do know that there will be some trade offs. I also know that everyone will have differences of opinions. But, from having NO EXPERIENCE with this car at all. I would rather make my choices off of those other experiences to limit my own ventures. :M5thumbs:
Completely understand, as I'm the same. But what I'm saying is that you *need* to make sure the dealer will install an aftermarket clutch in the first place. Being as it's a dealer, they tend to have a bit more strict rules. For example, my local dealer refuses to install anything aftermarket. Only BMW parts. They'll install a stock clutch for me if I bring it is, as long as it's a BMW stock clutch. They will not install a lightweight aftermarket flywheel/clutch. For that, I'd have to go to an independent repair shop. This is what you should be looking at. You'd hate to walk in to the appointment with a clutch/flywheel in hand that they won't install. :)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. I see what you are referring to now. I always figured I have a way to convince people the logic and reasoning to a lot of things when broken down. I just assumed that I would be able to talk them into doing it. However, I wasn't going to buy one with the intention of them saying OK. If I manage to convince them to do it, I would want to be able to know what I want and get it right away. :M5thumbs:

Maybe I'll just buy suspension instead and lower the car. haha. :cheers:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts