BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
10,458 Posts
i'm guessing you're not a bmwcca member, because the club hosts several driving schools per year. The golden gate chapter alone usually has 4-5 per year, then, as chuck pointed out there is the central cal chapter, the LA chapter, the sac chapter. Easily dozens with just the cca. Then there's trackquest, unlimited laps, driving concepts etc. If you search, you could likely find an event every weekend when the weather is nice!
Mike

·
Registered
612 Posts
Hello Adam,
In addition to the CCA events, Skip Barber has classes up at Laguna Seca. Derek Daily also has a school in Las Vegas. There probably is also a school at Sears Point too.

P.S. Thanks for the offer to listen to your new exhaust. I'm leaning towards Tubi or Kelleners, but may get back to you if I need another alternative.
Best Wishes,
Alfred

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Stickman said:
There probably is also a school at Sears Point too
Jim Russell at Sears Point:

http://www.jimrussellusa.com/

I would go with Mike (motatti)'s suggestion to go through BMWCCA. It's much less expensive, and you're driving your own car :flag:

:cheers:

·
Registered
92 Posts
I just completed the Russell Advanced School at Infineon (Sears Point) Raceway last week. I've also done the Barber 3 day & Adv 2 day (Laguna Seca), as well as the SCCA 3 day licensing school in a rental Spec Miata at Thunderhill back in 2001.

I can't speak to the BMWCCA schools - but I do not believe you can get an SCCA Racing license from those (someone please correct me?), but in all cases above, the schools qualify you for a regional SCCA license. Something to consider perhaps, depending on why you want to do these schools.

Of the 3 above, they each have their strong points, but the Russell schools have quite a bit more seat time. Cost-wise - yes, they are more expensive - but you are driving racecars (the SCCA licensing school was a bit cheaper, but factoring in the cost of the rental racecar - they're all in the 2-3K range in total.)

My first time at Sears - it's a great track, very technical. But I'm glad I learnt the basics at Thunderhill - lots more runoff there. (Something to consider if you decide to do the BMWCCA schools where you drive your own car...)

Cheers,
-Darryl

M-Fünf said:
Jim Russell at Sears Point:

http://www.jimrussellusa.com/

I would go with Mike (motatti)'s suggestion to go through BMWCCA. It's much less expensive, and you're driving your own car :flag:

:cheers:

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Depending on where on the west coast you are, you may wish to examine the following:

drivingconcepts.com (good school based in southern CA)
lappingdays.com (not exactly a "school", but I learned a lot there and plan to attend again)
bmsracecars.com (for advice on finding schools)

·
Banned
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright!!:wroom: Now that's what I'm talking about. I mainly want to get some track time, but learn how to use the M5 to its ability. Thanks again for the feedback:M5thumbs:

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
adam28 said:
Alright!!:wroom: Now that's what I'm talking about. I mainly want to get some track time, but learn how to use the M5 to its ability. Thanks again for the feedback:M5thumbs:
In that case I'd go with Lapping Days. They are based in Utah, and the closest they get to CA right now is Pahrump, but that's just 4 hours from my place, so it's doable. Mostly I prefer them because they are more informal, but just as professional, as "schools" I've attended. Get every guy wearing a yellow shirt into your car, get as many opinions as possible. Spring Mountain (Pahrumpp) is a very technical track, very tight, and not well suited to a heavy car like the M5 - which is PRECISELY why I recommend going

Lapping days gives you the most track time for your $$$ too. I got two full days for $395, including lunches and all the water and gatorade I could drink. If you end up going, shoot me an email and I'll give you a list of things to bring/tips I learned, etc.

If you want more formalized education with graduated stages leading to full race driving, Check out Lapping Days. They are more expensive, but well worth the money. I'd recommend BMW club events, but I haven't gone to one yet and don't usually recommend stuff I haven't tried myself.

Have fun, get ready to buy new tires :wroom:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Jim Hall has a great karting school outside Ventura...I've been about three times to sharpen my skills. Inexpensive and by the time you move up to the shifter karts, you will understand the "feel" of driving dynamics so much better because those racing karts give so much more feedback that you can get up to speed on. Taking that 3rd and 4th corner flat out takes some practice, but once you do you'll gain a real knowledge of what control and being on the edge feel like. I own two karts and it's the best racing on the planet short of a decent Formula car. My M5 actually feels slow when I get in it after a race, but still makes me smile. What a life! :viking:

(I've also been to Perfect Laps, which if memory serves was operating out of the Santa Barbara vicinity).

Whatever you choose, a school or decent instruction is certainly the way to go.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If you want to drive your own car there are lots of track days available everywhere (Fontana, Buttonwillow,Willowsprings). Most of those just let you on the track for a couple hundred a day. No instruction to speak of.

Driving concepts is a little more expensive, but much more organized and has great driving instructors that will be with you all the time if you wish.( around $400) Carl and Judy are great people.

For a real racing school you can't beat Bondurant in Phoenix. It is expensive, but worth every last dollar.

RG

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Ronny Ghazal said:
If you want to drive your own car there are lots of track days available everywhere (Fontana, Buttonwillow,Willowsprings). Most of those just let you on the track for a couple hundred a day. No instruction to speak of.

Driving concepts is a little more expensive, but much more organized and has great driving instructors that will be with you all the time if you wish.( around $400) Carl and Judy are great people.

For a real racing school you can't beat Bondurant in Phoenix. It is expensive, but worth every last dollar.

RG
I believe it's Karl, not Carl :byebye:

Also, see if you can get a ride with Tony Adamowitz. He was the most helpful instructor I had at Willow, although they were all very good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts