BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I've been wanting to post about this for awhile, but never pulled the trigger to until I happened to get another flat/leaking tire yesterday (this is my 6th flat I believe since purchasing the M5 3+ years ago).

So let's take a step back to when I purchased my 2008 CPO M5 back in 2011...while I was filling out the paperwork and had already vouched to get extended maintenance, the GM of the BMW dealership highly recommended that I get the BMW Tire and Wheel Protection Warranty. Basically, if I ever get a flat tire due to "road hazards" (i.e. nails, potholes, glass shards, etc.), BMW would give me a brand BMW OEM new tire (same tire as what I had, unless discontinued), no patches or plugs, and cover mounting and balancing. In addition, they would pay for $100 of towing services if needed (I have AAA already, but this was a nice back-up in case I somehow used up all my AAA tow allowances for the year) and there are no maximum number of occurrences and the plan is good for 5 years. The initial price I think was $1100 so I was on the edge, but the GM dropped it to ~$900 for me. I quickly thought about it and the cost of a Michelin PS2 at the time was around $500 so I figured if I have to use the warranty just twice within 5 years, then I get my money's worth. Only catch is that the tires have to be over 2/32" tread. This plan is only available for new and CPO cars. I rarely get flat tires, but since I calculated just after 2 tires I would get my money's worth, I decided to go for it.

Low and behold, I get my first flat tire (front right) when running stock wheels about 7 months later. Had to have the car towed to the dealership because I had hit a bad pothole and the tire was kind of torn up. Luckily they had the PS2 in stock at the time so they replaced it immediately and 2 hours later I was on my way.

My second one came just 2 months afterwards on my rear right tire (still with stock wheels). This one didn't blow up so I was able to fill it up with air and drive it the the dealership to get a new tire.

The third, fourth, and fifth all happened with my 20" Vorsteiner wheels after I had switched to Michelin PSS tires. Each time happened to be a different tire (rear right, front right, and rear left). I was a little worried that my 20" tires wouldn't be covered since they aren't BMW OEM sizes, but my SA at BMW Mountain View said they are covered, just that they would special ordering and they didn't have them in stock.

And my 6th time just happened yesterday once again with my rear left tire. Already called up BMW Mountain View today and they have ordered the tire, although it is on backorder until next Wednesday so I might just switch back to my stock wheels until then.

Now I know what some of you may be thinking...did I really get flat tires or am I intentionally running over nails when my tires are almost at 2/32". I will honestly tell you these incidents were all unintentional. Although an SA at a dealership I will not name encourages me to just run over nails whenever I need new tires (just do one at a time, maybe two. three or more and they will send down an inspector to check for fraud), I still have not gone down that path yet and don't plan to.

I don't know why my luck has been so bad with flat tires after buying the M5 (my commute didn't change...for some odd reason I'm driving on the wrong roads I guess??), but I am very grateful that 2011 Randy decided to opt for the BMW Tire and Wheel Protection plan. Has saved me over like $2000! I highly recommend that anyone who is purchasing a new or CPO BMW consider getting this plan. Tires for these cars are not cheap!

I do want to note that if you plan to go with aftermarket wheels and exercise this warranty, be sure you find a dealership with competent technicians whom you trust. The ones at BMW Mountain View have changed my tires on my aftermarket wheels before, but the ones at BMW Stevens Creek screwed up one of my wheels last time when changing out the tire. Long story short, they mounted a new tire on my wheel, but in doing so they had scratched off some of my powdercoat on the inside of my wheel when mounting and thus caused a leak with seal between my wheel and the tire. They tried to blame it on my wheel, made it worse, and after lots of arguing back and forth we finally agreed that I would pay $50 out of pocket to have them refinish the inside of that wheel, since the BMW Tire & Wheel Protection warranty technically doesn't cover aftermarket wheels. Anyhow, make sure you trust anyone handling your aftermarket wheels! Needless to say, I will not be returning back to BMW Stevens Creek.

Anyhow, I just wanted to share my experiences with using the BMW Tire & Wheel Protection Warranty. I have attached the details of the warranty for you guys to view. Such a good investment for me and I still have 2 years left on it!

-Randy

Attachments

Reactions: 5soko

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Damn dude so sorry to hear about all these tire issues. I really thought you just drive over curbs and look for nails to roll over jk. I completely agree with tire warranties and worth the investment. For me it's also a peace of mind knowing if something happens, I don't have to worry about more out of pocket expenses.

Dan

Reactions: randywei

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn dude so sorry to hear about all these tire issues. I really thought you just drive over curbs and look for nails to roll over jk. I completely agree with tire warranties and worth the investment. For me it's also a peace of mind knowing if something happens, I don't have to worry about more out of pocket expenses.

Dan
Yeah, I don't know why I have such bad luck with tires and nails/flats...the universe hates me and my car haha

I guess I'll be rolling up in stockers for C&C this Saturday...at least my car will be a little faster :)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Hehe, nuts. I feel your pain. Seems like every time I get a flat, the puncture is in a spot where they can't safely patch it.

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
Remind me never to ask for a ride in your car :tonquesmilie:

Reactions: E39 GaGaN

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Great to hear.

I will say that we also opted for the warranty and it just recently expired without being used once.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Thank you so much for sharing this story, now I have decided to purchase this protection as well!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts