BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been changing bulbs in the dash unit, so disconnected the battery. decided to have a look at the fuses under the other seat and was a little concerned at what I saw.

The cover for the modules was partially melted! After taking it off it looks like the set of three fuses nearest the modules have had a serious meltdown, the are not removable. Also the two modules (not sure what they do, think one is the light control unit) are a little bit deformed.

Can anyone tell me what these modules and more inportantly the fuses are for?

It looks like it may have happend quite a while ago.

The car runs fine almost all the electrical stuff is fine, the only things which don't work are the oil temp gauge, drivers heated seat and not sure if the heated rear screen works.

Anyone able to help??

T

·
Registered
970 Posts
Can you let us have the fuse numbers? They should be identified under the black cover, three screws, bit fiddly as there are a lot wires sets running around here.

GoneAgain said:
Just been changing bulbs in the dash unit, so disconnected the battery. decided to have a look at the fuses under the other seat and was a little concerned at what I saw.

The cover for the modules was partially melted! After taking it off it looks like the set of three fuses nearest the modules have had a serious meltdown, the are not removable. Also the two modules (not sure what they do, think one is the light control unit) are a little bit deformed.

Can anyone tell me what these modules and more inportantly the fuses are for?

It looks like it may have happend quite a while ago.

The car runs fine almost all the electrical stuff is fine, the only things which don't work are the oil temp gauge, drivers heated seat and not sure if the heated rear screen works.

Anyone able to help??

T

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The label is pretty badly discoloured, but the numbers look like :

44 Wischer, Wascherpumpe
Scheinwerferreingunsaniage
- wipers, washer?? Working OK

46 Heizbare Heckscheibe
- heated back window........don't think it works!

47 Zentralverriegulung, Schiebehebedach,
Fensterheber, Turschlossheizung
- doors, windows, sunroof, entral locking??? All working including "full closure"

But what are the modules for?

Think i'll try and change the whole lot.

I've attached a picture of the offending area.

Cheers

T

Attachments

·
Registered
970 Posts
The modules are the 'General Module' and the 'Relay Module'. I have no idea why those fuses should melt like this unless they are the wrong ampage. They should have been 30 amp, which I think they are? 46 relates to the climate control regulation (IHKR) if this means anything. 44 relates to the wiper control and the wiper pressure control. Fuse 45 not listed?

Sorry I can't add anymore?

GoneAgain said:
The label is pretty badly discoloured, but the numbers look like :

44 Wischer, Wascherpumpe
Scheinwerferreingunsaniage
- wipers, washer?? Working OK

46 Heizbare Heckscheibe
- heated back window........don't think it works!

47 Zentralverriegulung, Schiebehebedach,
Fensterheber, Turschlossheizung
- doors, windows, sunroof, entral locking??? All working including "full closure"

But what are the modules for?

Think i'll try and change the whole lot.

I've attached a picture of the offending area.

Cheers

T

·
Registered
134 Posts
I recently noticed a significantly less dramatic situation on my car, the middle of those that cluster of fuses, there is actually room for four by the look of it (on mine) had burst and seared the area, everything works fine on my car, i was curious what it does, and as a result still am: it was a 30, all three of the listed items are working? GoneAgain, did you ever figure this out, as i know this is an ancient thread.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Turk, can't say for sure. But I think it was my over use of the heated rear screen. I think it turns off automatically quite quickly. And as I was living in Belgium in Autumn at the time it wasn't clearing the window effectively and I tended to turn it on again quite quickly.

The window stopped heating intermittently, but wiggling the fuse would get it working again.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi Turk, can't say for sure. But I think it was my over use of the heated rear screen. I think it turns off automatically quite quickly. And as I was living in Belgium in Autumn at the time it wasn't clearing the window effectively and I tended to turn it on again quite quickly.

The window stopped heating intermittently, but wiggling the fuse would get it working again.

Thanks for getting back to me, this would make sense, if the previous owner was out and about year round (which one should be), it would likely have been the same thing, i did notice it switched off quick and never did anything, but evidently it is the fact that i didnt have a working fuse in there as opposed to it not being very strong!

by the way: love your pictures of your beast in the snow, looks sweeet!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts