BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a 2006 M5 in Interlagos Blue with Silverstone leather.

Im a bit worried about the light leather. How have others kept their beasts clean? Its going to be used as a daily driver not some garage queen.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
My Range Rover has ivory interior which is almost white. The way I keep it clean is my being very careful and cleaning the leather every 2 months. It is also my daily car. I didn't want two almost identical interiors so I went with red.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
hal2000 said:
I just ordered a 2006 M5 in Interlagos Blue with Silverstone leather.

Im a bit worried about the light leather. How have others kept their beasts clean? Its going to be used as a daily driver not some garage queen.
I likely will order the same color combination. I have light gray leather in my M3, which seems close in color to the Silverstone. After seven years of daily use, the light leather definitely shows its age. However, the condition of the leather will depend significantly on the amount of care and the presence or absence of children. I think mine held up very well for the first four years or so, and started showing its age only in the last three years which have coincided with less cleaning by me and more frequent use by kids.

Still, I have little doubt that I would get the Silverstone. Not only do I prefer the lighter atmosphere, but the two-tone effect is striking.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I give it 3 weeks before i have stains on the seats from my 2 year old.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I have the beige interior in my 545 and it is indeed a pain to keep clean (even without kids). However, with cleaning/conditioning once a month or so, the leather still looks brand new.

I think of it this way, with the white interior, it's actually easier to keep clean because you can see the dirt better!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Wolverine said:
I have the beige interior in my 545 and it is indeed a pain to keep clean (even without kids). However, with cleaning/conditioning once a month or so, the leather still looks brand new.

I think of it this way, with the white interior, it's actually easier to keep clean because you can see the dirt better!
Now there's an optimist!

I had a similar color on my first Porsche (years ago--before I had kids) and I got it because I was living in Ft. Lauderdale and black interior seemed like a bad idea. It's definitely is a chore to keep it clean--as much the carpets (even though i got black floor mats) as the leather. After the initial new car thing wore off, I got tired quickly of the upkeep.

After that car, I swore I'd never have another light interior again, but my next Porsche was a light gray and was also a pain to keep clean, so I've had black interiors ever since.

hal2000, since you have a young child, I'd strongly suggest getting something darker, so you don't have to cringe every time your little one is in the car.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I have caramel full leather, and a 95 lb dog (he's gaining weight!). It looks great after 3 1/2 years! I haven't done anything to it. I'd say if you get the lesser leather (non-full on the E39), it won't hold up as well. I believe the new M5 has nothing but the best leather no matter whether you get full or not, it's just less of it.

PS: Mine is a daily driver. I have 38K miles in 3 1/2 years.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
I have the Caramel leather on my E39 and it's held up very well considering there are two small kids in there most of the time.

I have chosen to stick with Caramel for my E60 - let's hope it's as good as it was in the E39.

I was toying with the idea of Platinum of Champagne leather but that would just be tempting fate.

One thing to keep in mind - I decided to go with extended not full leather since I'm worried about scuffing the door map pockets.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Ashok Arora said:
I have the Caramel leather on my E39 and it's held up very well considering there are two small kids in there most of the time.

I have chosen to stick with Caramel for my E60 - let's hope it's as good as it was in the E39.

I was toying with the idea of Platinum of Champagne leather but that would just be tempting fate.

One thing to keep in mind - I decided to go with extended not full leather since I'm worried about scuffing the door map pockets.
One thing I did notice on the Detroit car with Silversone Full Leather. The area where the leather seals against the doorjams on the front doors was quite dirty. That will be a pain. Basically, I expect the Silverstone Full Leather to be a high maintenance interior. I'm hoping the low maintenance Silverstone exterior will offset that a bit...

·
Registered
131 Posts
I originally ordered silerstone leather, but having seen it on the demonstrator I drove which was only a few days old it already looked dirty and tired. I have since changed my order to black, and it looks great (as always).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Wolverine said:

Hmmmm. Two of my cars have all black interiors . Two have light interiors . I have kids . The black interiors have NEVER been " cleaned " save for an occasional wipe with a dry towel and look brand new . The light interiors looked dirty from day one. It does help that on the M5s, the light interiors have dark carpeting , though .

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
bm5kw said:
Hmmmm. Two of my cars have all black interiors . Two have light interiors . I have kids . The black interiors have NEVER been " cleaned " save for an occasional wipe with a dry towel and look brand new . The light interiors looked dirty from day one. It does help that on the M5s, the light interiors have dark carpeting , though .
I agree with Wolverine. Besides the carpet needing more maintenance (although it shows less normal dirt), my caramel leather looks great, and has never been "cleaned", even with the dog. Just wipe the mud off that the dog left and go. I also have a 97 Jag coupe with Cream interior, but the dog doesn't get in that car much. I even hate the black shifter boot. It collects all sort of dirt and always looks horrible. If it were a lighter leather it would not be as much of a mantenenance chore. I have even placed a towel in the car to wipe down the black surfaces (Dash, shifter boot, top of steering wheel shroud, cluster, NAV, and tray), because they always show dust, dirt, lint, and anything. I really never touch the tan/caramel surfaces.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm on the other side of the fence. Had an RS6 Avant with silver leather for a year and it still looked as good as new when I sold it - with two boys 2 and 4 - it did take some beatings.

It was treated though - can't remember what with but it worked.

May be this is down to the quality / surface of the leather - RS6 was very smooth and easy to wipe.

I moved to an X5 with beige leather and even after on having the car for 6 months - it started to look grubby. This was not treated though.

Have ordered black M6 with Silverstone leather - coming in October.....going to make sure I get this protected/treated too but not worried about it.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Have ordered black M6 with Silverstone leather - coming in October.....going to make sure I get this protected/treated too but not worried about it

Could you tell us when you protect it? im afraid that some protectants would darken the leather. I hope that it would be available in the uS

·
Registered
95 Posts
Iv'e got Silverstone Leather in the M5 and Champagne in the X5 with two boys of 5 and 8 ouich . I find a wipe with a clean barely damp chamois leather and then a wipe over with the BMW leather care cream keeps them ***** and span and does not create a shine.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Zymol makes a very good leather cleaner and conditioner.

In most instances, just remember to wipe it down with a clean, damp cloth, on a regular basis.

Stains aside, over time, you will notice that the leather darkens slightly. But it is actually quite consistent so I wouldn't worry too much.

I have light gray in my BMW, and it has worn just fine despite having a 2 year old.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts