BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not the motorway of course because that would just be silly ouich

How easy / hard are they to work on? I've had some aweful times with my 300zx. Most recently changing the water pump, I had to remove the turbo hardpipes, complete radiator, brackets and associated pipes, fan shroud, viscous fan, header cooling pipes, top cam belt covers, power transfer unit, TPS, remove all belts, then remove the crank pulley, then lower cam belt cover....YAY at the water pump! replace it and back we go again.

I got used to multiplying whatever time you think a job will take by three, then you might get somewhere handy!!!! oh and bleeding gratted hands are the norm.

Cant even do basic maintenance like change the spark plugs without removing coil pack brackets, wiring, balance bars, fuel hoses, parts of breather system etc etc.

So am I in for a treat working with the M, or similar experiences when it goes wrong, or am I going to wake up screaming in cold sweats at night??? :eek:

Cheers

me

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Steve-O said:
So am I in for a treat working with the M, or similar experiences when it goes wrong, or am I going to wake up screaming in cold sweats at night??? :eek:

Cheers

me
Hi Steve

They are much easier to work on :M5thumbs: No turbo(normally)

But cold sweats come standard as you need these cars and dread waking up to her not being there :happybirt

:M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Easier to work on than your 300 - there's still a lot squashed into that engine bay though. Lots of jobs are best tackled from underneath the car so a ramp is handy. Otherwise the throttle bodies and plenum come off easy enough to access things low down on that side. Your basic stuff like plugs and filters are all very accessible though.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Steve-O said:
Not the motorway of course because that would just be silly ouich

How easy / hard are they to work on?

me
I've only done a few simple things ( as mine hasn't much fiddling ) but one thing that struck me was that BMW certainly like their special tools.

A prime example was retrofitting the driver's side fire extinguisher. The slot for the spanner is there but too narrow to fit a conventional one to hold the nut so the bolt can be run up. With the help of a metal grinder I now have the right size spanner and a fitted extinguisher. On the plus side it only cost £40 from Woods BMW ( Bournemouth ).

:cheers:

ralph (vadas1)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hello,:byebye:

From my experience it is easy....but it will depends of what work you will be involved in and what mechanical abilities you have. But the car offer loads of room around and in the engine and underneath. Well at least i think..but as usual with mechanic...nothing is never easy :) ! But definitely much more room than in a japanese car with big engine. Cheers. styve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts