BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I know Chrome and BMW's don't go, but my shadow chrome needed help and my car is Jet Black. I did not want aftermarket wheels, so I went for the LA Wheel exchange for Chrome....HORRIBLE

I had problem with quality on one of the wheels right out of the box, So I paid to ship back to them, they fixed and mailed back. Why I had to pay to ship back so they could fix the problem was beyond me.

Then I sent my exchange wheels which my local dealer checked and verified were straight/true, LA wheels said wheels were not straight and deducted from my deposit. pissed me off, but I loved the chrome wheels so I let it go.

6 months after I mounted the wheels, I noticed some pitting starting. 14 months after mounted them, I had a slow leak in 2 of the 4 wheels. My local wheel dealer pulled the tires and showed me all the corrosion at the bead. There were tick tack sized beads of corrosion that were pushing the bead off the rim seat and allowing air to leak out. The dealer could not believe how fast the chrome broke down. Now I'm 18 months into using the wheels and they are pitting horribly, they are peeling and 2" segments of chrome have come off. I've had chrome wheels on many cars and have never seen anything like this.

they may work OK in southern california or arizona, but a seasonal area, forget it. Funny thing is, my Denali sat outside for 8 years, factory chrome wheels, almost no care and never a hint of degradation of the chrome finish. these were garaged and they failed miserably.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Bad chrome jobs only last about.....2 years! Could have been the prep work or the chroming process itself. Slow leaks can occur because the chrome develops very small cracks on the bead area. I don't know how much you paid, but going cheap on chroming means you, unfortunatley, get what you pay for. I knew a tire man who worked in a dealership (American) who did many chrome wheels. He said a good job would last at least 5-7 years. Sorry to hear of your problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts