BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just left a deposit for an '04, <20k kms X5 4.4 Sport in Sterling Grey on Black Dakota. Just gorgeous.

It's got the following, according to dealer:

-Sport Package
-Sport Seats
-Activity Package
-Smoke Grey Trim
-Full Air Susp w/ Active Ride height

The first 4 are obvious, but the last item throws me. I haven't seen any literature on BMW's website or on new car pricing lists that mention a full air suspension with active ride height.

I always through that a self-leveling rear only air suspension came with the sport package, but I didn't know there was a separate option. Its option code 221.

Is this an '04 only thing? Or a Canadian only thing?

Please help!

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
The full air suspension gives you a switch on the dash (right of the headlamp control) that gives you 3 ride height settings;

Normal - the setting used for most driving conditions
Off-Road - Increase level for more ground clearance
Access - Lowers vehicle for cargo loading or easier passenger access.

Certain settings are only available at lower speeds and the system automatically returns to normal ride height at 50kph.

Hope this helps

Regards,
T.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Terk, thanks for the response. Been having lots of fun with the car. In fact, I also discovered that 04 and up 4.4 Sports have the exactly same suspension and calibration as your 4.8is! :biggrin:

Anyway, one question.

Do your brakes ever feel 'jolty' under medium to heavy sudden braking?

If you need to stop quickly and apply brake pressure quickly, do you feel a slight jolt in the chassis and a light vibration in the steering? Its slight, but noticeable on our X5.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
I would say that I have noticed anything like what you are describing from a jolting or slight vibration. The brakes on my 4.4i are quite grabby (if that makes any sense) more so than on the 4.8is, but in either case, I cannot say that I have experienced anything like what you are suggesting.

What you are describing sounds more like a warped rotor problem but I cannot see that coming from a new vehicle. I had 2 Jeep GC's that ate rotors.

Sorry I could not be more help.

T.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks anyway, Terk.

I think a trip to the dealer is in order.

The vehicle isn't brand new, it's got just under 19,000 kms on it from a previous owner.

Perhaps it is a warped rotor. Our old Land Rover Discovery ate rotors like mad, too.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Regards,
T.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts