BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Brand new Pump or motor??? Pumps aren’t available separately. The pump seldom fails and if it does it’s usually because someone messed with it. As Flaco said, it’s the motor that often fails.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Was not clear that you changed the motor already and why. I am lost here. Perform the next steps in sequence:
1- Delete the faults scan again and record the faults then delete again.
2- start the car and try to shift N>1>N>R>N, record what happen here and stop the engine. (scan for faults and delete).
2- Manually run the pump and record at what pressure the pump stops and count the pressure decay time until the pressure reach 60 then 50 bar (or until if it kick back on). (scan for faults and delete).
4- Run the accumulator test record the pressure and the test result.
5- Scan for faults and then post them here along with the result for every steps above.
In your reply to this copy these steps and the results under each one.
Also it is beneficial to have an idea when testing when the hydraulic system cold and do the same with operating temperature.
These tests will give an idea on what is going on with car, as the SMG system is tricky to diagnose.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Brand new Pump or motor??? Pumps aren’t available separately. The pump seldom fails and if it does it’s usually because someone messed with it. As Flaco said, it’s the motor that often fails.
Mlr only sales the motor no pump. Sorry for my incorrect identification.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Was not clear that you changed the motor already and why. I am lost here. Perform the next steps in sequence:
1- Delete the faults scan again and record the faults then delete again.
2- start the car and try to shift N>1>N>R>N, record what happen here and stop the engine. (scan for faults and delete).
2- Manually run the pump and record at what pressure the pump stops and count the pressure decay time until the pressure reach 60 then 50 bar (or until if it kick back on). (scan for faults and delete).
4- Run the accumulator test record the pressure and the test result.
5- Scan for faults and then post them here along with the result for every steps above.
In your reply to this copy these steps and the results under each one.
Also it is beneficial to have an idea when testing when the hydraulic system cold and do the same with operating temperature.
These tests will give an idea on what is going on with car, as the SMG system is tricky to diagnose.
New pump failed. That was the only fix. MLREng will let me know why, once I get it back to them.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I am still confused. In other thread you stated the car was fixed. what is the pressure after installing the new motor, why you decided to change the motor what was the fault codes and symptoms.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I am still confused. In other thread you stated the car was fixed. what is the pressure after installing the new motor, why you decided to change the motor what was the fault codes and symptoms.
The new pump failed. It would loose conductivity and the only way to get it to fire back up was to reverse polarity. MLREng next day shipped me a new one, I installed second new pump which fixed my weird problem I had after first pump installation.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Ok great the car is fine now. Nice to know this as I received my new motor from MLREng but didn't test it yet, I hope it doesn't have this issue. I will test it on the floor as soon as possible to see If I need a replacement before I put everything back together.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #69 (Edited)
Ok great the car is fine now. Nice to know this as I received my new motor from MLREng but didn't test it yet, I hope it doesn't have this issue. I will test it on the floor as soon as possible to see If I need a replacement before I put everything back together.
Mine did have a problem for 3-4 weeks. My problem is rare and the only way you would know it was similar problem is to hear the pump running after installed and ventilation and adaptions were done. Old pump sounded week from the beginning and seemed to run for longer then it should.

·
Registered
264 Posts
By the way, when was the purchase and the replacement dates of the pump motor?. What I know is that this issue has been sorted already.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
By the way, when was the purchase and the replacement dates of the pump motor?. What I know is that this issue has been sorted already.
Replaced stock pump mid August and installed replacement pump last weekend. After installing 2.0 pump I could tell that my first pump had a problems from day one, but that is what hindsight is.

·
Registered
264 Posts
So the pump that has polarity problem purchased on August 2019 or 2020? correct not the one after, when was the second purchase date? remember I am asking the purchase date not the installation date.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts