BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
2,169 Posts
Yep sounds right. Did you mess with the gps harness at all? Everyone should fix it when trans is out. It'll fail sooner than later. Just moving it around when removing and reinstalling the trans can be enough to cause a short.

When you use ista/inpa you can command gears in an open loop mode i.e. ecu opens valve and pressure is applied to shift piston. Gps is not involved. During normal operation the smg uses gps adaptation values as targets to where the pistons should be moved. No or bad gps signal means yellow/red cog and adaptations won't complete.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
That’s exactly what it’s doing. I wonder if Jim could send me one and I could send him my old one. Not sure if I can handle another month without my beast. I feel like I took a year off my new pump today.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
And I did take it out. When I sonic cleaned everything. But everything looked fine when I reinstalled it.

·
2,169 Posts
Well... Good thing is it'll take you half the time to pull the trans again. It's rather easy to fix that harness with some quality heat shrink tubing after everything you've done.

But check basics first. Double check everything is connected and fully seated.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well... Good thing is it'll take you half the time to pull the trans again. It's rather easy to fix that harness with some quality heat shrink tubing after everything you've done.

But check basics first. Double check everything is connected and fully seated.
It’s not shorted externality I polyurethaned the section of exposed wires before I reassembled it. It must be hidden in the loom. Mrl has the wiring kit too. Think I’m going to find one on flee bay and re wire before I pull trans again.
Probably buy a spare solenoid too.

·
Registered
140 Posts
In ISTA there is a step where you can request the software to center or log the centering position for all shift rods, do that step first then go back and teach-in the transmission, see if that would make a difference. (print screen the values). In INPA there is a command for manual gear shift, command all gears observe and compare the deviation from the nominal to actual values against other shift rods even if the manual shift pass, this deviation differences may indicate something, (print screen of the values). I think this deviation is timing related, when it is not within the set time the test fails.
Now the actuating block has been disturbed and ISTA pointed to 6/7 shift valve, I would inspect that and it's respective pressure direction valve O'rings if it has been seated properly during installation of the valves. For troubleshooting purposes providing that this step is allowed, I would swap the valve with other valve and see if the problem transferred to another shift rod.
Another thing to do is to remove the sensor and clean it internally, dirt can get inside in it's cavity and accumulate on and around it and that may interupt or delay the signal, I have seen that in 2 actuator block i have, just be gentle and straight when you inserted back in as there is an O'ring built in it's cavity.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I sonic cleaned all solenoids and shift block also pump block and sensors. I also tested resistance of solenoids and all were within spec, then tested with 12v. To make sure they had appropriate travel, also tested shift rods for binding. I believe the 6/7 solenoid is the furthest on the right side of shift block. The only part that I didn’t thoroughly test was gps. I had to bleed block this morning to get it out of first gear. It wouldn’t even do the teach in process. Here’s what I have.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
As you prob know the GPS is matched to each smg unit. Can't use one from another smg.
Of course, reality is there is non for sale. That explains why. I’m just going to treat this as a challenge, then maybe my frustration will subside.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Now I see, the signal to the ECU from the position sensor for 6/7 shift rod reads (0) is interrupted. Now you have to test for continuity from the of the sensor from the block will be pin 10 to the ECU pin 5 (signal) to confirm the signal is reaching the ECU. I doubt the sensor is faulty reading the position of 6/7 shift rod, it was working before you disturb the system, right?.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Now I see, the signal to the ECU from the position sensor for 6/7 shift rod reads (0) is interrupted. Now you have to test for continuity from the of the sensor from the block will be pin 10 to the ECU pin 5 (signal) to confirm the signal is reaching the ECU. I doubt the sensor is faulty reading the position of 6/7 shift rod, it was working before you disturb the system, right?.
Before I was missing 2/4, I’m wondering if I swapped 2/4 solenoid to 6/7. Even though it tested fine. Seems like a gps fault though. I’m tempted to get a used solenoid. Just not sure which one since their different.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Forget about swapping right now, when you submitted more info pictures as requested it is clear that you have a missing wiring signal, Zero ( 0 ) means no signal, confirm that it is wiring not the sensor itself by testing continuity as I outlined in my previous post and report back. If you have break in the line fix it and you are good to go.
You said earlier that you were able to manually gear shift. Could you use INPA to do that and print screen for gear 6/7? I want to see the values.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I’m going to get back to it next couple of days. Two questions, which solenoid is 6/7 and the 0 means the solenoid not the gps? Just want to make sure I’m clear. And to answer the question of if I could manually shift, I was the day of but was unable to do it yesterday morning when it was stuck in first gear. I was able to get it in neutral after a block bleed procedure. But didn’t have time to manually shift + I didn’t want it stuck in first when I need to role it around. And once again, thanks. Steve.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The value ( 0 ) means no position signal for 6/7 shift travel piston, the sensor is not reading the position of the piston that drive the shift rod for shift rod 6/7. When you said your were able to manually shift all gears, I wanted to see what is the values in INPA when you shift gear 6 and gear 7 and to compare values with other gears to help troubleshoot better and in INPA it will show you the values during the gear shift.
Shift valve (solenoid) responsible to drive the shift rod 6/7 gears is the second one from left looking forward.
Proportional valve (Directional valve solenoid) responsible to direct hydraulic to 6/7 and 2/4 shift travel valves is the one on the rear left looking forward.
I included a picture for the manual gear shift page and the values plus the deviation which is very important to understand why it failed if the test could shift manually, don't compare these numbers with yours as they are a result of a different configuration has been done to the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
732 Posts
Steve I think there’s something lost in translation with what Pattii suggested. You were talking about manually selecting the gear via the shifter or paddles, and Platii is talking about commanding the trans to select certain gears via the diag software, ISTA or preferably INPA because that can shows you a readout of the gear sensor strip value. ISTA doesn’t show you that there. I think the outstanding question is 1) will the trans shift to 6 or 7th when commanded by the diag tool. 2) what is the data readout value when/if that’s done.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thank you Gmtegear for the clarification. If shifting done by gear lever is what he meant then the gear didn't actually shift 6 and 7 gears, and i dont think the transmission would be able to shift those gears or even other gears because of the lost signal.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I was catching up on the thread and it seems like this is him trying to get the car in gears via normal means not software commands, but open to interpretation. That’s why I say “command” when referring to software vs saying manually shift gear, which is really a “request” subject to the ECU’s programming, sensor feedback, and self preservation logic.

Just want to make sure I’m clear. And to answer the question of if I could manually shift, I was the day of but was unable to do it yesterday morning when it was stuck in first gear. I was able to get it in neutral after a block bleed procedure. But didn’t have time to manually shift + I didn’t want it stuck in first when I need to role it around.

·
Registered
140 Posts
it is important to gets into that page or at least Analogue Value 3 to see whats the actual position of gear 6 and 7. They both should read 0.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yes Command is better to use to manually shift by the software. And i think he could unstuck it from 1st gear and commanded to another gear for example 6 and 7, because of the missing signal the ECU will not be able to shift it to 6 or 7. I still need to see Analogue Value 3 to confirm.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts