BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn’t have time to hook up ista but ran code through the snap on and this is what I got. Car won’t shift into 2 or 4th gear, started off as yellow cog then went to red cog. Trying to get a direction to go in. Thinking it’s the selector wiring harness any help would be appreciated before I order random parts. Thanks

·
2,169 Posts
They are the two opposite of 17 (facing rear of car). They were never sold separately from bmw afaik. Doesn't mean you can't scavenge parts from a 'bad' smg unit from ebay...

·
Registered
499 Posts
If you are up to an experiment the solenoids look the same as the Vanos?

Jim has a service to rebuild/improve the control block. If you message him through his website he should respond.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
If you are up to an experiment the solenoids look the same as the Vanos?

Jim has a service to rebuild/improve the control block. If you message him through his website he should respond.
Throw some Sophie v2 at it. Lol
Edit: just checked part numbers for both solenoids and their the same part number 22 100 201

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They are the two opposite of 17 (facing rear of car). They were never sold separately from bmw afaik. Doesn't mean you can't scavenge parts from a 'bad' smg unit from ebay...
Can’t believe how much people want for junk. 6 speed seems more and more reasonable.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So no broken solenoid, now I can’t find anyone who knows what the o ring sizes are for all the solenoids including shift control.
Also was lead to believe the trans was replaced, but why would it have the black solenoids.

·
2,169 Posts
Looking at the smg pdf 2/4 are both on the same shift rod. So inspect the front solenoids, one of them controls the 2/4 rod. To rule out trans damage you may want to remove the smg and make sure the shift rods can be moved freely by hand. If nothing you may have a damaged 2/4 solenoid (measure resistance) or mechanically damaged. Could also be gear position sensor wiring but from your pic it doesn't look too bad. Have you seen this list of stuff to do when you pull the smg out?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looking at the smg pdf 2/4 are both on the same shift rod. So inspect the front solenoids, one of them controls the 2/4 rod. To rule out trans damage you may want to remove the smg and make sure the shift rods can be moved freely by hand. If nothing you may have a damaged 2/4 solenoid (measure resistance) or mechanically damaged. Could also be gear position sensor wiring but from your pic it doesn't look too bad. Have you seen this list of stuff to do when you pull the smg out?

Solenoids all ohm out at 2.9 and move freely when I give them 12v. The rods in the solenoid housing move freely haven’t tried to move the shift forks in the trans yet. Order the MLREng pump and going to order o rings and sonic clean the solenoids. Next is clutch and rear main. I want to do a spec clutch but I know that’s a controversial topic. The only bummer is the price of the clutch slave, it seems ridiculous in price.

·
2,169 Posts
Yeah the slave doubled not long ago. i posted about it around the time it happened. I almost bought a spare as a few places still showed the old price.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah the slave doubled not long ago. i posted about it around the time it happened. I almost bought a spare as a few places still showed the old price.
I’m ordering o rings right now, you would happen to know the size of the 7 main o rings? Number 19 on the realoem . Thanks again for all the help. Otherwise I’ll have to head to the shop and measure them.

·
2,169 Posts
No idea. But nobody seems to change them. At least not Jim. Those are compressed between solenoid and valve body so doesn't matter if their section is flattened they will be compressed anyway.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So reinstalled trans today, with new pump, slave, oem clutch and o rings. Did the bleed procedure 3-4 times could not get it to adapt or teach kept giving me this. I’m guessing the shift position sensor is at fault. I’m super depressed seemed like everything was right. I’ll I want to do is drive my car, now it’s stuck in first. I will say that it will shift when given a command from ista. Any ideas most appreciated

1 - 20 of 52 Posts