BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I warn you, these pictures are hard to look at. View at your own risk and please be sure to sit down first.

It was like an episode of Nip/Tuck.. "Tell me what you don't like about youself". I marked the **** outta that thing.

Front and rear bumpers removed for painting. No MAACO BS here, where they tape up and spray the parts right on the car. Um, overspray much??

Ugh. Previously repaired. PDC's must have fell in from the PO backing into something. Joe will fix!

At least ****ty work bothers both of us equally... another shot of the previous carnage.

Bodywork! No more waves.

Widebody kit being added.. nah just kidding. Fixing up a little rear quarter damage.

Hood off for spray. To be painted correctly, off the car and front and back, not just the shiny side up.

OK, ok, enough playing around :byebye:hiha

Car is over at my brother's shop, Federal Autobody in Flushing, Queens. I dropped it off to him before the start of my week long trip to the Caymans, sort of like an episode of Overhaulin'. As some of you may remember from my intro, the car was a little beat up and I picked her up low. I spent the next few months learning the systems and bringing it back to 100% mechanical condition. Satisfied with the performance after engine and exhaust work, and the wheels freshly refinished and wrapped with new rubber, it was time to drop her off at Joe's place.

He does a hell of a job, and I fully recommend him to any of us as "eccentric" (crazy) about our cars as I am. I mean, what other shop sends you pictures of the progress and lets you mark the areas that you want fixed yourself! I'll have the after shots when I return, you guys be the judge!

Federal Autobody:

<ADDRESS class=adr>15318 Northern Boulevard
Flushing, NY 11354
Neighborhoods: Flushing, Murray Hill

</ADDRESS>(718) 539-1111

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD>

</TD><TD>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Add Photos

<DL class=col0><DT class=attr-BusinessHours>Hours:<DD class=attr-BusinessHours>Mon-Fri 8 am - 6 pm
Sat 9 am - 12 pm

</DD></DL>

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
BFG KDW? did they come with ear plugs?

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BFG KDW? did they come with ear plugs?

Nah, they did include in the packing a set of 5-point harnesses though.. :D

They aren't so loud in this car. Much much louder in my 350Z, man they scream. But the E39 does such a good job of sound dampening.

·
Registered
884 Posts
If that was my car I would want the interior covered with plastic while it is being worked on, that dust gets everywhere. But then you are probably getting a family deal so you may not want to mention it.

·
Registered
841 Posts
was this the one that was crazy cheap a while back? something like 8k. If so you got a great deal.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
was this the one that was crazy cheap a while back? something like 8k. If so you got a great deal.

Nope, I was the 12.5K guy defending the 8K guy's purchase :) I'm still under the 18-22K average even with all the work. Still no regrets in the "buy a fixer-upper" school of thought. You can afford to be as anal as you want and you will always know the work was actually completed and done right!

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
nice keep us updated on the restoration job....Looking forward to seeing the car in the spring meets!!!

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nice keep us updated on the restoration job....Looking forward to seeing the car in the spring meets!!!

Cant wait! There was no way I was going to any BMW meets with the car before the work.. as it is people make comments like "what did you dooo... omg, that poor M5...", like I was the one who crashed it!! Im all like, Nooo I bought it like that!!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Looks like your bro does good work and is thorough...nice to have a family member in that biz, I bet!

looking forward to seeing the finished product pics!

SP

·
Registered
841 Posts
Nope, I was the 12.5K guy defending the 8K guy's purchase :) I'm still under the 18-22K average even with all the work. Still no regrets in the "buy a fixer-upper" school of thought. You can afford to be as anal as you want and you will always know the work was actually completed and done right!
I completely agree with you, many members of the board want a pristine condition car and often turn away ones that CAN be fixed up for relatively cheap.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Im all like, Nooo I bought it like that!!
Surely that makes you look more crazy!? Jokes, good luck with it, such a bargain, needs a lot of love tho!

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
More updates:

Primer.. or that new "frost" flat paint by BMW?? You be the judge. lol

Prep work..

All good in the hood.

That flat gray doesn't look bad!

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
i should appreciate, since i do it daily... lol..

1 - 20 of 33 Posts