BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, first of all I appreciate the patience and help I have been getting from this board. I spent some time today searching for the reason my reverse lights are not working, even though all the rest of the trunk lights are. I have replaced bulbs and the fuse, and from my searching it seems like the reverse light switch may be the culprit. I took off the shift boot and I was presented with a white connector not attached to anything, and two spliced wires which were connected to the shift knob at some point.

My question to you is what are these wires? Looking at a replacement illuminated knob and it looks like it plugs into that white connector. Why are the other two there, and is any of this the reason for the reverse lights to be out? Sorry for the dumb questions, but I figured it would be an easy answer for you guys!
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was just in there myself. The cut/spliced wires are what actually went to your illuminated shift knob. The white connector was not connected to anything on my car either. I didn't look in to it any further. I just assumed it was pre-installed for either an option my car was not equipped with or something on other model E34's. I don't know where your reverse light switch is, but suspect it is somewhere less convenient than under the shift boot.

Good luck

·
Registered
431 Posts
going by the wiring colours there, there is something funky going on. the wires with no connector on them grey/red + brown are where the illuminated shift knob connects to.

the white connector at the top of the pic with the green/black and blue/yellow wires coming out is for your reverse lights. the cable with the black sleeve that disappears into the floor goes directly to your reverse switch on the gearbox.

the other connectors are not used. bear in mind that the wiring loom in that area is common to all E34s so those other connectors are for automatic transmission range switch etc

1 - 3 of 3 Posts