BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a trip to Phoenix yesterday, about 800 miles round trip, I ran over a small object that could not be avoided. No indication on any gauges anything wrong. When I pulled into a rest stop I looked underneath from the drivers side and around where the transmission is located, there was a 4 conductor round connector that had become disconnected and was now hanging down. Another 4-wire connector had come apart and one side of it was missing. I plugged one back and tucked them back up the best I could. After that I got the SES light but I traveled for another 700 miles without incident.

Any idea what these wires do? ?????? I will have to make an appointment but was curious in the meantime.
Thanks,
JD

·
Super Moderator
10,461 Posts
i'd bet oxygen sensor. If you have a way to safely lift and support the car, you could probably plug it back in.
Mike

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Considering I just switched out an O2 sensor, that's my first guess as well. It seems to all add up. Unfortunately, my SES light came back on only a few hours after I switched it out!! Argh.. back to the drawing board.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Most definately an O2 sensor wire. I woudl try to recconect before you drive the car again.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TCM said:
Most definately an O2 sensor wire. I woudl try to recconect before you drive the car again.
Thanks for the accurate answers. Just got the car back from the dealer and in fact there are two wires that go from the sensors to a small box. One connector itself was torn off and acording the SA they cannot be ordered separately. They happened to have a wrecked 5 series and used some parts from it. Otherwise they said a new harness would have cost about $4,500 according to a case they had before. My cost to have it fixed was $350.
:3:

·
Registered
837 Posts
Johnny D said:
Thanks for the accurate answers. Just got the car back from the dealer and in fact there are two wires that go from the sensors to a small box. One connector itself was torn off and acording the SA they cannot be ordered separately. They happened to have a wrecked 5 series and used some parts from it. Otherwise they said a new harness would have cost about $4,500 according to a case they had before. My cost to have it fixed was $350.
4500 dollars that sounds crazy, however I am glad you got fixed for 350, Josh

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Johnny D said:
$350!?!? Using a used O2 sensor?!? A NEW O2 sensor itself comes to $90+ bucks.. and labor should be all of 10 minutes to screw out the old one and put in a new one.

I feel you on that one though.. I was charged an hour and a half labor ($90/hour) to switch out a cam position sensor (exhaust side) when I heard most people can get it done in 30 minutes.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anzir said:
$350!?!? Using a used O2 sensor?!? The new part itself comes to $90+ bucks.. and labor should be all of 10 minutes to screw out the old one and put in a new one.
Actually they installed a NEW 02 sensor. The plug connector part which enabled me to NOT have to buy the expensive harness is what they salvaged from the wrecked BMW. I recall the labor at about $170 and parts were the balance. Not a lot of options and it could have been worse.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts