BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Past few weeks, I've noticed that my drivers side wiper has not been removing the water as it should or indeed as the passenger one does, so I done the obvious thing and bought a couple of BOSCH numbers from my local Halfords (PERFORMANCE TUNING) store.

Still the same, I'm now thinking that the arm itself could do with being replaced or what is worrying me more is the pressure motor thing. You know the thing that apparently pushes the wipers into the windscreen more with speed.
This is still functioning as far as I can tell, ie. I hear it move when driving off and also again when turning the ignition off.

Comments appreciated...
:crying2:

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
plisken said:
Past few weeks, I've noticed that my drivers side wiper has not been removing the water as it should or indeed as the passenger one does, so I done the obvious thing and bought a couple of BOSCH numbers from my local Halfords (PERFORMANCE TUNING) store.

Still the same, I'm now thinking that the arm itself could do with being replaced or what is worrying me more is the pressure motor thing. You know the thing that apparently pushes the wipers into the windscreen more with speed.
This is still functioning as far as I can tell, ie. I hear it move when driving off and also again when turning the ignition off.

Comments appreciated...

Remove the plastic cover. You will see a c/sunk hex drive screw.
You can adjust preload of wiper tension by turning clockwise etc.

With the wipers in their rested posn, grasp one of the wiper arms.
If their is a lot of movement fore & aft in the plane of the wiper sweep, or there is evidence of the wipers clouting the edge of the hood due to excessive backlash then you may need to consider changing the motor & linkage.

Farrell

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
plisken said:

Comments appreciated...
I use some fancy rain stuff that clears the windscreen if you are going over 30mph..

no needs for wipers!!

Steve

·
Registered
911 Posts
plisken said:

Comments appreciated...
I got the same problem, anything over a 80mph i cant see a thing tried new blades (Bosch) and adjusted the preload tensioner screw to no avail. I have replaced the linkage to the o/s wiper and theres not alot of slack anywhere. Whats this 'pressure motor thing' and how do i check it??:confused2

·
Registered
546 Posts
In our older vehicles very often the arm tension spring tends to weaken. this is common in most older cars. I would change the arm, If that fails it could be due to micro scratches in the windscreen caused by excessive use of the windshield washer system. The use of Rainx and other similar products cause a build up of silicone on the glass that is difficult to remove and over time will cause a haze to form on the glass.

·
Registered
92 Posts
unesential said:
In our older vehicles very often the arm tension spring tends to weaken. this is common in most older cars. I would change the arm, If that fails it could be due to micro scratches in the windscreen caused by excessive use of the windshield washer system. The use of Rainx and other similar products cause a build up of silicone on the glass that is difficult to remove and over time will cause a haze to form on the glass.
Replacing the arm is a problem if you have the 'speed sensitive' system. The problem being BMW a) Have no stock (anywhere in Europe) and b) Don't make them any more. Got mine from a scrapper of this board, but that was after six weeks of looking everywhere.... nightmare....

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
plisken said:

Comments appreciated...
I still hear my tensioning motor, but it's shot anyway.... The plastic wheel inside usually strips the last few teeth, so while the motor turns, it doesn't tension the wiperarm.

I have the new one lying in a box beside the workbench, but haven't gotten around to fitting it. BTW, I replaced the entire wiper-mechenism a few months ago just like Raymond did, and second his verdict that it's a b*tch of job. It's incredible how silent the wiper are now though, no more cloncking and rattling.

·
Registered
546 Posts
phil.cavanagh said:
Replacing the arm is a problem if you have the 'speed sensitive' system. The problem being BMW a) Have no stock (anywhere in Europe) and b) Don't make them any more. Got mine from a scrapper of this board, but that was after six weeks of looking everywhere.... nightmare....
Does this arm lift for cleaning of the glass? If so then there should be tension spring which could be replaced. I am sorry I am not more familar with the system.
John.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
unesential said:
Does this arm lift for cleaning of the glass? If so then there should be tension spring which could be replaced. I am sorry I am not more familar with the system.
John.
Yes you can lift it. The tensioning spring hooks onto a hinged base, and that hinged base has a screw in the end, visible if you lift the plasic cover on the wiper-arm's mount. The wipermount is hollow, and there's a stainless pen that runs through the mount, that pushed the screw in the hinged base of the spring upwards, which tensions the spring and thus the wiperarm. This is powered by the electric motor directly under the drivers-side wiperarm-mount. Hope this makes sense.....

BTW, Raymond was working on a write-up with pics, but in the meantime here's a link to realoem:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HE51&mospid=47384&btnr=61_0831&hg=61&fg=45

I replaced the whole lot a few months ago, except for the tensioning motor. I figured, as long as I hear it it works. Uhuh ouich ........

·
Registered
92 Posts
unesential said:
John.
Hi John, yes..., you could replace the spring.., but I refer to my previous reply..., you can't get them...! ouich

1 - 13 of 13 Posts