BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a steady drizzle for past 2 days, my yr old wiper blades are smudging up the windscreen like there's no tomorrow. Add dark asphalt and poor headlight to that mix, and I had to squint my eyes just to struggle my 15 mile commute home, still having a headache.grrrrrrr

Any recommended windshield wipers for the E39? Need them BAD!!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Reactions: bimmerule

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Personally I like the OEM replacement inserts instead of buying a whole after market frame. I've tried the OEM "supplier" inserts from Pelican but they're not quite exactly same and have a lock block in the track which doesn't fit into the tabs for the stainless steel stiffeners well or the frame tabs, but can be forced in. I think I may go back to the dealer OEM inserts or try the ones AGM5 suggested next.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
I have a few closeout sets from NAPA I snagged if you wanna try a set. They work fine so far for me...in SoCal. PM me, the shipping cost may be a deal breaker though.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Hmm same brand as ones on Pelican web site. (SWF) Which work but have a slightly more tricky mechanism to hold them in place than the ones sourced from the dealer.
the only difference that I found between the ones from Autohausaz and the old dealer parts was that the aftermarket do not have the steel supports. Because of this you get to reuse your current steel bits. Nothing too tricky here.

On a side note; I was talking with my parts guy last evening, and new inserts are available from the dealer. However, they will not fit the "old" style blades. So, if you bite the bullet, and buy the $65.00 (pair) new style blades, you can continue to get new refills at the dealer.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I also use Napa brand. I bought them 3 years ago. No issues. The key to long lasting blades is to keep the rubber clean and the windshield clean. I also rain-x my windshield, but even when the protection is wearing away the wipers still work fine.

I suggest (unless your blades are ripped) to run an alcohol wipe up and down each blade to clean the crap off of them, or even an old microfiber cloth that you won't mind if it turns black. Then hand clean your windshield (inside and out) with glass cleaner. My bet is you will be amazed at the difference. It is possible your blades are too far gone, but only being 1 year old, they are probably savable.

Reactions: bimmerule

·
Registered
282 Posts
FWIW, I searched OEM part number 61619070579 (from Realoem.com). This is the part number for the pair. BMW of Morristown has them for $27.37. I don't know what actual brand this is (Bosch?). Probably cost $10 to ship.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
How are the results compared to OE fill, streak free? I have the same in my shopping cart, ready to pull the trigger. Forecast called for rain 5 out of 6 days, this is driving me nuts.

I also use Napa brand. I bought them 3 years ago. No issues. The key to long lasting blades is to keep the rubber clean and the windshield clean. I also rain-x my windshield, but even when the protection is wearing away the wipers still work fine.

I suggest (unless your blades are ripped) to run an alcohol wipe up and down each blade to clean the crap off of them, or even an old microfiber cloth that you won't mind if it turns black. Then hand clean your windshield (inside and out) with glass cleaner. My bet is you will be amazed at the difference. It is possible your blades are too far gone, but only being 1 year old, they are probably savable.
I think you're right, I noticed when I use the windshield wiper fluid, the first few swipes are the worst. Maybe I should switch the wiper fluid too?

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
How are the results compared to OE fill, streak free? I have the same in my shopping cart, ready to pull the trigger. Forecast called for rain 5 out of 6 days, this is driving me nuts.

I think you're right, I noticed when I use the windshield wiper fluid, the first few swipes are the worst. Maybe I should switch the wiper fluid too?
If you're just using the basic blue stuff then it's fine. I can't comment on other products as I've never used anything but regular blue fluid. I miss the days when I worked as a mechanic at a dealership and I could fill my own washer jugs to bring home. That in itself is nothing special since the fluid is so cheap, the cool part was that I could and did change the ratio of water to concentrate. Made for some pretty aggressive window cleaner in the winter! haha.

Anyway, It sounds like you're just dealing with dirty surfaces. Do a through cleaning of the window and blades and if nothing else it will help get you through this rainy period before you buy something else.

·
Registered
529 Posts
These blades are awesome. I just threw them on a couple weeks back and they're perfect. Silent, uniform clearing wipe.

Only thing better would be to add e60 windshield spray nozzles. The wife's QX56 has that style, they shoot a spread instead of a stream. It's sad how much I enjoy using them.

·
Registered
153 Posts

They are dead silent like the factory blades and clean the window perfectly. No complaints here.

·
Registered
647 Posts
BMW's OE wiper blade set (61-61-9-070-579) has a new lowered MSRP of $40.13. And that's for a set.

The OE inserts (61-61-8-217-711), however, has an MSRP of $18.44 each...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts