BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am starting to get ready to use my M5 in the winter for the first time. I have the StopTech Big Brake Kit (front) and I know that most smaller diameter wheels do not fit over those huge calipers. I would like to get 17'' wheels to save some money. I've looked on StopTech's site and they provide some print-out kit to test with the wheels if you have access to them, but I don't.

Maybe if you feel like it, recommendations for winter tires to go with my new wheels would be great :D (although I know and have read a few other threads on that...)

Thanks!

·
Registered
962 Posts
BMW Style 66 are only 17" that I'm aware fit over ST-40 calipers
http://www.zeckhausen.com/images/wheels/style66m_17inch.jpg

In winter, I run 4 stock front Style 65s with Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3. Can't say I've had issue with road salt but I keep the car pretty clean even in winter including use of wheel wax.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I wouldn't have thought 17" wheels fit. When I ran OEM 18's I scratched the St40 calipers with the wheel weights (it was that tight).

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RoundelM5; thanks, I also heard once that the 66s worked. However, buying BMW wheels would certainly not be cheap. I was afraid to put my winter tires on my stock wheels (65) because I was told that they can get ripped up by the salt on the roads, etc. Is this true? What have your experiences been?

Cemessi; Do you mean that your StopTech kit didn't fit in the OEM (style 65) wheels? I've never heard of anyone having trouble with those.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
The fit with stock wheels yes, but when I took them off to change pads I could see scratches on the caliper from the wheel weights. I don't think a 17" wheel would have fitted.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The fit with stock wheels yes, but when I took them off to change pads I could see scratches on the caliper from the wheel weights. I don't think a 17" wheel would have fitted.
I'll be sure to check when I take mine off next time! It does appear that the ST-40s fit on the style 66m wheels, though. I'm not sure how they managed it!

·
4,292 Posts
from the look of it - it was the type of wheel weight used and where on the wheel they where mounted

*additionally i've heard people say the small clearance even on factory setups catch debris/rocks and they end up scratching the inside of the wheel too

·
Registered
962 Posts
On a slightly different topic, RoundelM5, it says that the ST-22 rear calipers fit under the stock rear wheels (BMW E39 M5 Products - StopTech big brake kits, stainless lines, short shifters, pads, tires). Why are you using front wheels for all four wheels? Also, which pads do you use for your front ones?
Agreed a new set of Style 66 from BMW are pricey, particularly for winter wheels. If you are set on 17" I would look for a used set, though they are fairly rare and desirable. A set of four front Style 65 can be had pretty easily/cheap so worth considering IMO.

I run 4 fronts in winter as the more narrow tire/wheel is better in snow.

I run Axxis ULT pads on front now but will switch to Stoptech performance street pads when the current set are done.

I run 4 stock rears on track and Dinan wheels (9.0" front and 9.5" rear) on street. All fit under Stoptech BBK with no issues. That said, I have heard of a few issues running stock rears in front over ST-40...may be a wheel weight issue or manufacturing tolerance variation, I don't know. I run with no issues whatsoever.

Dave Zeckhausen runs the ST-40 on front of his 540 over Style 66s so they definitely fit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts