BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured I'd post the end-result of my efforts into putting winter-wheels/tires on my M5. The progression of events and lessons went like this:

1. try and find all-weather tires for my stock M5 20" rims
FAILED!

2. see what other folks had done
TURNED UP NOTHING RADICAL OUTSIDE OF BUYING NEW WHEELS/TIRES.

3. went into the car graveyard that is my garage-attic and found my 20" BMW OEM style 312 wheels from my old 550xi
THE DECREASE IN WIDTH OF THESE WHEELS RELATIVE TO STOCK M5 20" WHEELS DIDN'T LEAVE ME OPTIMISTIC

4. decided to give it a shot anyway and took one front wheel and one rear wheel to local tire dealer for a trial fitment
I LEFT CONCERNED THAT THE CALIPERS WERE JUST TOO CLOSE TO THE WHEEL'S INNER RIM

5. booked the car in at BMW Seattle for their assessment on the caliper clearance
THUMBS UP--THEY'RE NOT CONCERNED; THE CLEARANCE IS SUFFICIENT

6. did some math; figured the increased offset of the 312-wheels + my spacers should result in a ~stock-looking setup
THE REAR OFFSET WAS +10MM, FRONT WAS +5MM... ADD THE SPACERS, ET VOILA

7. dropped ~$1,000 on Pirelli Nero all-season tires (245/35/20 + 275/30/20)
HAD THEM MOUNTED AGAINST MY EXISTING 15MM AND 20MM FRONT/REAR SPACERS AND THE CAR LOOKED "RIDICULOUS!"
... THE FRONT WHEELS FIT NICELY BUT THE REAR SETUP JUST LOOKED PIGEON-TOED OR KNOCK-KNEED OR ... UNLIVEABLE

8. figured I'd wasted my money and was out of options since 20mm spacers are the largest I'd ever heard of on an M5
SULKED FOR A FEW DAYS BUT EVENTUALLY WENT LOOKING FOR SOLUTIONS

9. found a possible solution--apparently, H&R make a 30mm F10 M5 spacer (a different kind of spacer for me, though)
THIS SPACER MOUNTS TO THE WHEEL-HUB INDEPENDENT OF THE WHEEL AND THE WHEELS MOUNT TO IT USING STOCK LUG NUTS

... tada! Now it looks good and handles the puddles a whole helluva lot better.

Here's the before:

Emmy.jpg

And here's the after:

Winter wheels.jpg
Winter wheels 2.jpg

... not bad for a retrofit.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I figured I'd post the end-result of my efforts into putting winter-wheels/tires on my M5. The progression of events and lessons went like this:

FAILED!

3. went into the car graveyard that is my garage-attic and found my 20" BMW OEM style 312 wheels from my old 550xi
THE DECREASE IN WIDTH OF THESE WHEELS RELATIVE TO STOCK M5 20" WHEELS DIDN'T LEAVE ME OPTIMISTIC

4. decided to give it a shot anyway and took one front wheel and one rear wheel to local tire dealer for a trial fitment

5. booked the car in at BMW Seattle for their assessment on the caliper clearance

6. did some math; figured the increased offset of the 312-wheels + my spacers should result in a ~stock-looking setup

HAD THEM MOUNTED AGAINST MY EXISTING 15MM AND 20MM FRONT/REAR SPACERS AND THE CAR LOOKED "RIDICULOUS!"
... THE FRONT WHEELS FIT NICELY BUT THE REAR SETUP JUST LOOKED PIGEON-TOED OR KNOCK-KNEED OR ... UNLIVEABLE

8. figured I'd wasted my money and was out of options since 20mm spacers are the largest I'd ever heard of on an M5

9. found a possible solution--apparently, H&R make a 30mm F10 M5 spacer (a different kind of spacer for me, though)
THIS SPACER MOUNTS TO THE WHEEL-HUB INDEPENDENT OF THE WHEEL AND THE WHEELS MOUNT TO IT USING STOCK LUG NUTS

Here's the before:

View attachment 492657

And here's the after:

View attachment 492673
View attachment 492665

I found 20" Michelin ALPIN PA4 winters @ 255/35/20 front 275/35/20 rear.
They fit OEM wheels or like me buy a set pictured here;
They were on my LCI M5 now ready for the M6 GC CP.

Attachments

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cars looking great! Glad you got there in the end. What a lovely house you have btw!!
Thanks (on both counts).

I really didn't want to waste (or sell) the existing wheels--they're too nice to look at albeit a bit (think "a lot") on the heavy side... but it's not like I'll be running 1/4 miles on 'em.

·
Registered
564 Posts
looks great!

·
Registered
73 Posts

FAILED!

Here's the before:

View attachment 492657

And here's the after:

View attachment 492673
View attachment 492665

I put 20 inch 245 brigstones all around on the original wheels and had it for two winters with no problems.
But your car still looks good.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I put 20 inch 245 brigstones all around on the original wheels and had it for two winters with no problems.
But your car still looks good.
That's really interesting to me--I had no ides such small tires would fit stock M5 wheels. Isn't there problem with the size (width) difference?

·
Registered
73 Posts
That's really interesting to me--I had no ides such small tires would fit stock M5 wheels. Isn't there problem with the size (width) difference?
Zero Problems, had them for two winter and pushed the car on days that was no snow.
I went to Steelcase Tire and Mags, been going there for the past 10 years and they sugested it and installed it.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Zero Problems, had them for two winter and pushed the car on days that was no snow.
I went to Steelcase Tire and Mags, been going there for the past 10 years and they sugested it and installed it.
Good to know (a tad late... but good to know :0)

Which wheels do/did you have?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Good to know (a tad late... but good to know :0)

Which wheels do/did you have?
The stock 20 inch 5 spokes that they came in 2012.
For some reason, I can't upload the pic.
The car is sold. Waiting for the M6 Gran Coupe.
Did you buy a exhaust yet?
I send you a reply regarding the RPI GTM.
I can sell you mine if your still interested for a good price.
Still in excellent condition.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did... sorry, bad timing... thanks, though.

My Turner exhaust arrives tomorrow in fact and will be installed on Friday.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm going to try putting the rear Pirelli 275s on the stock rims (that usually take 295s) as well as the front 245s (that usually take 265s). Based on feedback here--this seems plausible now.

Anyone got any other first-hand experience or comments/concerns?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm going to try putting the rear Pirelli 275s on the stock rims (that usually take 295s) as well as the front 245s (that usually take 265s). Based on feedback here--this seems plausible now.

I am getting my M6 next week and I saved the winter tires, they were in good shape.
Will take a pic and share it with you.
If 245's fit on the stock, your will be the same.

·
Registered
652 Posts

IF they are 275/35/20 they will be fine.
IF 275/30/20 watch the rims.;)

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I've completely changed my tactics based on the advice here. As of yesterday, I have my stock 20" CP-wheels back on. I've removed the H&R 30mm spacers and have returned the Burger 20mm spacers to the rear. The rear-wheels have the Pirelli 275/30/20 "stretched" over them and they look good and drive just as well. The fronts have the 245/35/20 (same Pirellis) and look equally good with a 15mm spacer. I'm sooooooooo much happier with this setup and (while possibly in my head) the car feels that much more stable, nimble, under-my-control and able to deal with the loss of traction.

Anyone interested in a set of 4 "mint-condition" BMW OEM 20" style-312 wheels? :0) Look out for the ad coming soon...

·
Registered
652 Posts
So I've completely changed my tactics based on the advice here. As of yesterday, I have my stock 20" CP-wheels back on. I've removed the H&R 30mm spacers and have returned the Burger 20mm spacers to the rear. The rear-wheels have the Pirelli 275/30/20 "stretched" over them and they look good and drive just as well. The fronts have the 245/35/20 (same Pirellis) and look equally good with a 15mm spacer. I'm sooooooooo much happier with this setup and (while possibly in my head) the car feels that much more stable, nimble, under-my-control and able to deal with the loss of traction.

Anyone interested in a set of 4 "mint-condition" BMW OEM 20" style-312 wheels? :0) Look out for the ad coming soon...
Bet they look good too.:blink:

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Bet they look good too.:blink:
Yup, I think so. I'm completely satisfied now--the only downside relative to stock rubber is the loss of traction but they sure disperse puddles a lot better than the summer tires do.

The tires are Pirelli P Zero Nero All Weathers. 275/30/20s on the rear and 245/35/20s on the front (stock setup is 295/30/20 and 265/35/20)

Here are a few pics:

1. The improved stance now I'm back to using stock rims.

Stance.JPG

2. Side shot.

Profile.JPG

·
Registered
130 Posts
Looking good, loving the tailpipes they fill up the space the tailpipes exit nicely compared to the stock ones.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts