BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

It's time to deal with winter conditions (it's Seattle so more rain than snow) in an M5. Does anyone have any wisdom to share?

My current plan goes as follows:

1. remove my stock M5 20" wheels
2. put my old 550's BMW style 312 20" wheels on the car
- they ran 275/35/20 rear and 245/35/20 front
3. put Pirelli P Zero Neros all round per the sizes above on the 312 wheels
4. buy a new set of 20mm BMS spacers for the rear
5. move my existing 15mm BMS spacers to the front

#4 and #5 are intended to help restore the stock-look with this narrower wheel setup.

I've mounted one of the wheels to check the fit and the bolt pattern is the same. The offset looks to make this plan reasonable although the brake caliper was closer to the inner-rim that it is with the stock wheels--perhaps 5mm of clearance relative to say 9mm with the stock wheels.

Any thoughts/concerns?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Hi everyone,

It's time to deal with winter conditions (it's Seattle so more rain than snow) in an M5. Does anyone have any wisdom to share?

My current plan goes as follows:

1. remove my stock M5 20" wheels
2. put my old 550's BMW style 312 20" wheels on the car
- they ran 275/35/20 rear and 245/35/20 front
3. put Pirelli P Zero Neros all round per the sizes above on the 312 wheels
4. buy a new set of 20mm BMS spacers for the rear
5. move my existing 15mm BMS spacers to the front

#4 and #5 are intended to help restore the stock-look with this narrower wheel setup.

I've mounted one of the wheels to check the fit and the bolt pattern is the same. The offset looks to make this plan reasonable although the brake caliper was closer to the inner-rim that it is with the stock wheels--perhaps 5mm of clearance relative to say 9mm with the stock wheels.

Any thoughts/concerns?

Thanks!
Im also in the great northwest so my easy solution was to just run Conti DWS's all year long on my E60 M5. They work extremely well in our wet conditions and handled great in the summer as well. If there was every any snow on the ground the M stayed in the garage. Pirelli's are good but I had them on my Merc and found we traction to be less then the Conti's. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts