BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for the best traction POSSIBLE. Looking for size and make suggestions. As always appreciate the feedback guys.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Best combo of high grip in snow/ice and decent handling on dry pavement is the Dunlop Winter Sport M3. Great tire.

Go with a narrow rim/tire than stock to gain more traction/stability in the bad stuff.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
What I've seen in this autumns tests in AMS etc. is the following, Nokian Hakkapeliitta and Continental is the best ones.

I'm using Pirelli, and have not really heard that positive reviews about them.

And I don't think Dunlop is as good as Nokian or Conti.

Somehow I think you have to have winter conditions in order to fully develop a good winter tire:)

:cheers:

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Nokian are the best snow tires out there for grip. The Dunlop Sports provide decent snow handling with good turn in a lateral grip on dry roads.. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I used 17" Blizzak WS-50s and they are unbeatable. They give up most of any "performance" for traction in snow.

I highly recommend them.

You may do a search on this topic as it has been discussed before and I know that I have provided a more in depth response in another recent thread.

-Matthew

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
MT JTN said:
I used 17" Blizzak WS-50s and they are unbeatable. They give up most of any "performance" for traction in snow.

I highly recommend them.

You may do a search on this topic as it has been discussed before and I know that I have provided a more in depth response in another recent thread.

-Matthew
Strage that Nokian and Conti are winning the tests if Blizzak is unbeatable..........

:cheers:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Dunlop Wintersport M3's are awesome combination sport/snow. Worked great on M5 last winter.

Blizzaks WS-50 are great snow dedicated tires and a rubber is softer. Used on 525 for several years.

I have set of M3's on Borbet rims ($1200 Tirerack package for $ 600 plus shipping. Sold my M past weekend. Tires fit all E 39's. Used 2 months. if interested - email = [email protected]

You also could check Tirerack for consumer reviews on all tires...

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Kings MotorSport said:
I'm looking for the best traction POSSIBLE. Looking for size and make suggestions. As always appreciate the feedback guys.
Based on your post and location, the best traction (legally) possible will be obtained with a set of 235/45-17 Blizzak WS-50 tires mounted on either 17" x 8" Borbet Type E, 17" x 8" Mille Miglia MM11-2 Sport, or 17" x 8" AT Italia Type 5 Sport wheels.

As others have mentioned, the WS-50 gives up quite a bit of dry handling and cornering in exchange for incredible ice and deep snow traction. I switched from the Blizzak LM-22 to the WS-50 a couple years ago after having to make several runs at the hill to my house with the LM-22s. With the WS-50, I'm only limited by snow that's significantly deeper than the ground clearance of my car! And I no longer need a running start to climb steep, unplowed hills.

·
Registered
511 Posts
DZeckhausen said:
Based on your post and location, the best traction (legally) possible will be obtained with a set of 235/45-17 Blizzak WS-50 tires mounted on either 17" x 8" Borbet Type E, 17" x 8" Mille Miglia MM11-2 Sport, or 17" x 8" AT Italia Type 5 Sport wheels.

As others have mentioned, the WS-50 gives up quite a bit of dry handling and cornering in exchange for incredible ice and deep snow traction. I switched from the Blizzak LM-22 to the WS-50 a couple years ago after having to make several runs at the hill to my house with the LM-22s. With the WS-50, I'm only limited by snow that's significantly deeper than the ground clearance of my car! And I no longer need a running start to climb steep, unplowed hills.
The LSD kind of helps too Dave. I've seen that hill!!

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Greco said:
The LSD kind of helps too Dave. I've seen that hill!!
I ran one winter with the M5 limited slip and the Blizzak LM-22 tires and still had problems when they didn't salt or plow the road. After that, I said the heck with this and bought the Blizzak WS-50 tires. Now I can get up the hill no matter what. I can even stop halfway up to chat with my stuck neighbors, then accelerate from a standing start. I get particular sadistic pleasure out of that! :)

·
Registered
680 Posts
DZeckhausen said:
I ran one winter with the M5 limited slip and the Blizzak LM-22 tires and still had problems when they didn't salt or plow the road. After that, I said the heck with this and bought the Blizzak WS-50 tires. Now I can get up the hill no matter what. I can even stop halfway up to chat with my stuck neighbors, then accelerate from a standing start. I get particular sadistic pleasure out of that! :)
As I said, the WS-50s are the best. They have treated me well... I mounted them on Borbet Type-E and they don't look so bad. What matters is they get the job done -- the job being safe driving in snowy/icy conditions with 369 lb-ft of torque on tap.

You wouldn't be disappointed if you bought them. Call Luke at the Tire Rack.
-Matthew

·
Registered
259 Posts
Ahhhh the beauty of being in So Cal and not having to deal with winter tires anymore! For what it's worth Blizzak WS-50 tires worked great on my Merc when traveling back east - - Great tire when pushing through the white stuff! Memories, Memories :biggrin:

·
Registered
118 Posts
DZeckhausen said:
Based on your post and location, the best traction (legally) possible will be obtained with a set of 235/45-17 Blizzak WS-50 tires
But it´s legal to use stud tires in the state of NY!

And if you want the best traction possible, there´s no comparison between stud and studless tire. Period.

Niclas

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
B6-523 said:

And if you want the best traction possible, there´s no comparison between stud and studless tire. Period.

Niclas
thats news to me.. although I do live in Finland too so it isnt something I am an expert on.. I am an expert on winter wheels though and if you can go stud..

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
B6-523 said:

True that it's legal in NY State between October 16 - April 30. Some of the surrounding states are more restrictive. NJ doesn't allow them on the cars until 30 days later and makes you take them off 30 days sooner. Connecticut also is more restrictive on when you may install them, but has the same removal date. All of these regulations are a response to the amount of damage done to the roads in dry conditions and there is legislation pending that could ban them outright, except on school buses and emergency vehicles.

For lighter passenger cars, the "new" generation of snow tires available with microcells or other dual compound technology (e.g., Bridgeston Blizzak, Dunlop Graspic) offer close to studded tire performance without the road damage and the loud droning of studs. These tires are much more pleasant to live with than studded and are nearly as good in snow and ice performance. Studless snow tire technology has come a long long way in the last 10 years.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Here is my take on it: I come from Russia driving RWD cars all my life.
I live in Boston now and commute no NH 120 miles a day in an M5.

When they tell me winters in NE are rough - don't belive them - Finland is rough, Siberia is rough, Boston is not

1) majority of driving (90%) in NE is done on dry or wet cold roads (they always plough and put salt on the roads here), so the same rule applies as with regular tires - bigger contact patch, good wet traction. The only difference is they don't have to glaze like Z rated tires and stay soft at cold temps (relatively cold - it rarely gets below -10 C here)

Therefore the choice is Pirelli Snowsports 240 in the widest possible fitment (for me 235/40/18 front and 265/35/18 rear) - had it for 2 winters - great, very little compromise in traction compared to PS2s in the summer (again during 90% of winter driving)

2) Driving on packed snow (8% of time for me when I go skiing - 1/2 mile up the mountain, 50 feet driveway, 4 snowstorms for the first hour) - that's where you need narrow tires to push through snow and not slide/hydroplane like on skiis on wide tires. So Pirellis are not the best for this task but they do OK and for 8% of driving I take it easy on packed snow - but so does everybody else :)

The best choice Nokian Hakapellita 4 in smallest (narrowest) fitment - Finish tire - Compromise - noise and low dry traction

3) Driving on Ice (2%) - Ice storms, and frozen lakes (ice racing), occasional black ice (4 in the morning before they put salt) - Most of America stops if this happens so you are not going anywhere - so for me not a big consideration but Pirellis still do OK - not great

Best choice - Studded Nokian Hak 4

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Are there any Hakapelitta 4 that fits BMW 17" M66 rims (235 x 45 R17), and has the right load index for an M5?

David

1 - 20 of 34 Posts