BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last winter when I moved to NJ (from FL) I didn't put the winter tires on since I have a 4X4 for the snow and cold temps. After going back and forth deciding if I was going to sell the car, I decided to keep it and enjoy it. In my heart I am a car nut (the type that worries about my car when we go to NYC if the valet earned the extra tip and super worried that a bumper will get scratched) and normally would not drive a car such as the M5 in sub-freezing temps in the winter.

The reality is that the car is depreciating (pretty fast) whether I drive the car or not. I bought the car a year ago with 34K miles and today it has 38,300. Clearly I am not getting my money worth and have decided that I am going to drive the car in the winter. I will not take the car knowing a storm is coming, however with the Blizzak LM-25's I don't have to worry if it snows a couple inches and obviously I now have the proper rubber for the winter temps.

These were purchased from a M5 Board member last winter.

The tires were inflated to 40 PSI as they stood. Should I lower a litte?

Blizzak LM-25.jpg

Blizzak Front Tire.jpg

Blizzak Rear Tire.jpg

·
Registered
36 Posts
First off - I am assuming you mean 40psi cold.... I tend to run slightly lower psi in the winter -- given the fact that you probably aren't doing much "spirited" driving in the winter there is no need for elevated psi, unless that is the "feel" you like.

·
Registered
36 Posts
And by the way those are great looking winter rims - my personal favorites. i still limp along on my old set of 7 series rims and winter tires - can't bring my self to purchase another set since these are "functional". Can't wait to take them off in the spring...

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First off - I am assuming you mean 40psi cold.... I tend to run slightly lower psi in the winter -- given the fact that you probably aren't doing much "spirited" driving in the winter there is no need for elevated psi, unless that is the "feel" you like.
Yes, 40 PSI cold. I unwrapped them, put them on and was very surprised the PSI was that high considering they have not been on a car in 2 years. I reset the TPMS and took the car for a nice 20 minute ride. Car felt good, different but good. I will probably lower the PSI a little for traction purposes.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And by the way those are great looking winter rims - my personal favorites. i still limp along on my old set of 7 series rims and winter tires - can't bring my self to purchase another set since these are "functional". Can't wait to take them off in the spring...
Thank you! Picked them up from a member. $1500. Really good tread left and TPMS incuded. I thought that was a good deal for OEM wheels in good shape. Some rash but no big deal.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Thank you! Picked them up from a member. $1500. Really good tread left and TPMS incuded. I thought that was a good deal for OEM wheels in good shape. Some rash but no big deal.
I am pleased to see forum members selling to/purchasing from forum members. Good transaction for both buyer & seller!
No surprise to anyone on this board but you can use the door jamb sticker to ballpark tire psi. From there I do exactly as you did. Try a psi configuration and test drive to determine the handling characteristics of the car. I have the exact same tires on a very different car (2001 530i). I run 36psi rear and 33 psi front. Today its -1F in Wisconsin and yesterday we got 13.5" of fresh snow and the roads are slippery. In these conditions I drop my tire pressures to 34psi rear and 32 psi front. I frequently drive 280 mile (each way) trips and pump pressures back up to 36 or 37 rear and 32 or 33 front. I purchased this car new and am very pleased with it's handling and driving characteristics. I run summer performance tires on all of my cars.

I definitely agree that all BMWs and especially the higher value M5s depreciate rapidly (in the first 3-4 yrs).
These cars need to be exercised regularly or they seem to "carbon up" according to friend's experiences.
You deserve to enjoy your car and the decision to drive it rather than garage it makes a lot of sense to me.
In 2005 I purchased a new 2006 330XI and the trade in value I was offered; I had to refuse (on my 2001 530i).
I still own both my 2001 530i and the 2006 330XI. I do perform DIY maint. work on both cars and when I purchased the 2010 M3 neither car was traded because it just didn't make sense. I enjoy the 2001 530i because it has ~116K miles on the OD and it's driving characteristics are very close to the newer 5ers. It's value is lower than the annual depreciation on any M5 within 4 yrs age.

Bottom line is enjoy your M5 and exercise it regularly. It was not built to sit in a garage to depreciate as the owner comiserates the depreciation.:flag:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts