BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a set of winter tires and cannot come up with one that offers our stock 18" sizing. The only winter tires in stock M5 size are the Dunlop M3's and the rears are out of stock EVERYWHERE.

Now, I have 2 - 245 40 18 Dunlop M2's with just a few thousand miles on them. For Dunlop M2's, the closest size for the rears would be 265 35 18. Would this be ok?

I know I should go with skinny 17's, but I don't plan on driving in too much snow. I'll take the SUV if need be.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I live in Toronto and have run 265/35/18's for winters on the stock rear rims. I run Goodyear winters and they are fine.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
265s in winter?! ouich I've used OEM 17" rims 66M parallel spoke w/ Bridgestone Blizzaks
They work with stock brakes although some 17" rims wouldn't fit correctly.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
M5_ForMe said:
I need a set of winter tires and cannot come up with one that offers our stock 18" sizing. The only winter tires in stock M5 size are the Dunlop M3's and the rears are out of stock EVERYWHERE.

Now, I have 2 - 245 40 18 Dunlop M2's with just a few thousand miles on them. For Dunlop M2's, the closest size for the rears would be 265 35 18. Would this be ok?

I know I should go with skinny 17's, but I don't plan on driving in too much snow. I'll take the SUV if need be.
M5_ForMe,

I had the same problem as you last year. I had an extra set of staggered OEM rims and ordered in August (!) the Dunlop Winter Sport M3s, which in my mind are the best tire out there. The rears (in 275x35x18 configuration) were on back order and only in very late November (!!) did Dunlop inform Tirerack they will not be making anymore for US deliveries... So I was left not only searching for a different tire, but pretty much any available winter tire as most had sold out (it's expected that there is not a whole lot of inventory for oversized winter threads).

So from the limited selection I was left with, I chose the Pirelli 240 SnowSport in a 235x40x18 and 265x35x18 configuration (if you keep 265 in the rear, it is best you go down a size on the fronts as well, otherwise among other things your speedometer will read a tad faster than actual speed - check this link, it is very informative: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html).

I am very happy with these tires, had a chance to test them in all kind of conditions (as far as NY/NJ goes) and I think they are a great winter tire - very quiet, excelent handling and grab in both wet and dry. The only downside relative to my previous brand (Blizzak LM 22s) was snow traction. Not that it was bad, I just thought the Blizzaks had more grip, but then again that was on a CLK 430 with 245x40x17 on the rear, so not a 1-to-1 comparo.

In any case, as a general rule I don't take out the Beast in big time snow, but it does help to know you don't have to leave it in hybernation for 4 months ;-o)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts