BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The winter has finally arrived :)

Last month I received two samples, a glass and paint sealant, from Jesse and his startup company, Wolf Chemicals (thanks Jesse for the privilege to give your products a go!). I decided to try these products out on my Le Mans Blue and see how they fare up against what I already use.

I require good protection for the winter, since the M5 is a daily driver, it tends to suffer a lot of with all the grime and salt from the winter roads here in NL. Durability and ease to clean up the car are for me strong concerns.

Initially the car was washed, cleansed with Iron Cut (what a fantastic product this one is as well, should review it too!!!), clayed, washed again and polished to bring up a defect free flat surface.

Here are two more artistic interpretations of the finish (no photoshop, direct from camera) :)

Nano Glass Sealant vs Carlack

First test to tackle was to have a go with the glass sealant. All glass was clayed and then "polished" with AutoGlym Glass Polish, so there would be an even start for both products.

Both products had 2 layers applied.

I found the Nano Glass Sealant to be a bit finicky to work with, requiring a bit more attention with the product quantity and the buffing effort. Carlack was a bit more user friendly on this regard.

Here is a standing test with the pressure washer, 2 weeks/1300km after initial application, with Nano Sealant on the driver side and Carlack on Passenger side:

<object width="1280" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2x9V6NvOqB4?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2x9V6NvOqB4?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="1280" height="745"></embed></object>

My impressions are:

1. Carlack sheeted much faster and requiring lower speeds for the initial 3 weeks.

2. Past these 3 weeks, Carlack still sheets faster, but the difference is much lower now between both products.

3. This test just left me eager to try something from Nanolex or GTechniq... Dunno why, but I think there is more to be gained. Maybe my expectations are too high, but I would love to have a product that can efficiently sheet at speeds starting 70kmh and retain those properties for at least 2 months.

Wolf Chemicals Nano Paint Sealant

This product for me was a revelation... just wow :)

The application was done using the make up cotton disc as recommended. 2 layers were applied 2 hours apart.

The first layer left a lot of stripes all across the paint, as explained by Jesse. The second layer was a breeze to apply.

After the two layers were applied and buffed, I decided to test some beading properties and oh my...

The 2 weeks and 1300km have passed since initial application and the car was washed.

Mind you, the bonnet and other panels also had 2 layers of Colli 915 applied at the same time as I tested the Nano Sealant.

Nano Sealant was applied on the trunk and on the roof.

This is 2 layers of Colli 915 on the bonnet.

This is 2 layers of Wolf Chemicals Nano Sealant on the trunk.

As for the Sheeting Tests...

This is Colli 915 on the bonnet.

<object width="1280" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SjdarJ4qdvM?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SjdarJ4qdvM?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="1280" height="745"></embed></object>

This is Nano Sealant on the roof :D

<object width="1280" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/d0Q167eKyR4?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/d0Q167eKyR4?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="1280" height="745"></embed></object>

This is Colli 915 sheeting with a constant flow of water.

<object width="960" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RwNrFokTgg0?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RwNrFokTgg0?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="960" height="745"></embed></object>

This is the Nano Sealant sheeting with a constant flow of water.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="960" height="750" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8PTNgFhfb4M?hd=1" frameborder="0"></iframe>

<object width="1280" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Nos_03x0TCk?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Nos_03x0TCk?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="1280" height="745"></embed></object>

:D :D :D

Now for some close upbeading comparison pictures.

This is Colli 915.

This is WC Nano Sealant

Love the closed angle of attack of the droplet, fantastic beading!

In conclusion:

Wolf Chemicals is SERIOUSLY getting some good products out in their first attempt. I am absolutely in love with the Nano Paint Sealant, fantastic sheeting and fantastic beading. Now, a month has passed and some more km are on top of the car and it keeps on beading, even through the dirt.

The Glass Sealant, in my humble opinion, is a good product, mind you, but it did not blew me away as the Nano Paint Sealant did. I will continue on using Carlack for my glass until I give Gtecniq or Nanolex a go.

Jesse, mate, one bottle of Nano Paint Sealant for me please! You have a winner here, very impressed :)

·
Registered
707 Posts
wow. have to look for something similar. not sure if available here. if anyone has ebay link I would not mind getting it. :D :thumbsup:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks Tiauguinho, for the review, very informative. Your car looks fantastic as usual, I can't believe you drive it in the salt and snow. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
This winter I plan on starting from scratch and complete the paint correction that I started this summer. My car is down for the winter, so I should have plenty of time to get my car to look somewhat decent. I couldn't imagine washing my car every two weeks while it’s below zero. I hated washing my car this weekend when it was just above freezing. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
By the way what is Iron Cut?<o:p></o:p>

Reactions: Tiauguinho

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow. have to look for something similar. not sure if available here. if anyone has ebay link I would not mind getting it. :D :thumbsup:
Here is their website: Wolf Chemicals Nano Paint Sealant

Thanks Tiauguinho, for the review, very informative. Your car looks fantastic as usual, I can't believe you drive it in the salt and snow.

This winter I plan on starting from scratch and complete the paint correction that I started this summer. My car is down for the winter, so I should have plenty of time to get my car to look somewhat decent. I couldn't imagine washing my car every two weeks while it’s below zero. I hated washing my car this weekend when it was just above freezing.

By the way what is Iron Cut?
Iron Cut is an amazing product :)

It removes the ferrous particles that penetrate the clear coat and it removes the residues that it leaves behind, so it does not keep on hurting the clearcoat. Claying does NOT reach this level of decontamination.

Read more about it here, fantastic product: Iron X

Reactions: V.I.P.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Iron X sounds like a fantastic product. I may have to purchase a bottle or two and give it a go. Shipping from the UK will be fun as usual.

Quick question though, lets say I buy Iron X, clay the car down and do the paint correction I have in mind. Then apply the 3 coats of wax and sealant (Thank goodness I have all winter to do this.) Will these steps prevent the metal corrosion from reoccuring or is Iron X one of those steps I will continue to use every winter?

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Iron X sounds like a fantastic product. I may have to purchase a bottle or two and give it a go. Shipping from the UK will be fun as usual.

Quick question though, lets say I buy Iron X, clay the car down and do the paint correction I have in mind. Then apply the 3 coats of wax and sealant (Thank goodness I have all winter to do this.) Will these steps prevent the metal corrosion from reoccuring or is Iron X one of those steps I will continue to use every winter?
1. What do you mean with 3 coats of wax and sealant? Most of the times, 2 layers is more than enough in terms of buildup. Waxes or Sealants have solvents that will "remove" a bit of what was there. What wax or sealant are you planning to use? :)

2. No, you cannot fully prevent it as far as I am aware... however, it will help a bit. Do you work near a metal shop that you have such iron deposits problem?

·
Registered
72 Posts
1. I plan on using Blackfire Midnight Sun Carnauba Paste Wax and Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger (sealant.) From what I have read this combination really makes black cars shine. So far I have been very impressed with the paste wax. I only put one coat on the car this summer and water was still beading very well even now. But now that it's winter time, I should have the time and the patience to work on this correctly.

2. Nope don't live near a metal shop, but I figured after 7 years of brake dust it might not be a bad idea to give iron cut a shot. I just didn't know how often I would have to use it. Since I plan on doing all of this work, I figured I might as well do it right and what's another step after doing all of this.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1. I plan on using Blackfire Midnight Sun Carnauba Paste Wax and Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger (sealant.) From what I have read this combination really makes black cars shine. So far I have been very impressed with the paste wax. I only put one coat on the car this summer and water was still beading very well even now. But now that it's winter time, I should have the time and the patience to work on this correctly.

2. Nope don't live near a metal shop, but I figured after 7 years of brake dust it might not be a bad idea to give iron cut a shot. I just didn't know how often I would have to use it. Since I plan on doing all of this work, I figured I might as well do it right and what's another step after doing all of this.
1. That should hold you fine :)

2. You will visually see IronX work... and you will feel the difference on the paint work afterwards. This is just a small step that doesn't really take much time. As for how regular you should do it, once a year should be fine.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Did you wax before using the nano sealant? Also what would be your schedule to rewax and reseal? In other words would sealing now be reasonable, a rewax in 1-2 months and reseal in 3 months? Thanks, Dan.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Did you wax before using the nano sealant? Also what would be your schedule to rewax and reseal? In other words would sealing now be reasonable, a rewax in 1-2 months and reseal in 3 months? Thanks, Dan.
some say the nano sealant stays 12-18 months though it more looks like a commercial trick. :D
and from what I have heard - it should not be waxed before applying the nano sealant.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nop, there is no wax to disturb the bonding of the sealant.

The only thing done to the surface was wash, iron cut, clay and polishing it.

I would say that re-applying the sealant every 3 months is very reasonable and rather natural too.

Thanks! Is it also ok to use it on plastic surfaces (for example, bumper trims)?
Not sure, but I think they have a product for trims. Worth a try :)

·
Registered
707 Posts
Not sure, but I think they have a product for trims. Worth a try :)
you think this wouldn't do the thing? :D I more meant like - when you applied the this exact sealant for the main body, did you remove the trims or put it also on trims? ;)
some of car waxes are not very friendly with plastic details. but as this is not a car wax I am thinking of the impacts.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Tried to get in touch with wolfschemicals through [email protected], but got back error message:

The following message to <[email protected]> was undeliverable.
The reason for the problem:
5.1.0 - Unknown address error 550-'sorry, no mailbox here by that name (#5.1.1)</pre>

·
Registered
750 Posts
Nop, there is no wax to disturb the bonding of the sealant.

The only thing done to the surface was wash, iron cut, clay and polishing it.

I would say that re-applying the sealant every 3 months is very reasonable and rather natural too.

If you wind up testing the product for an extended period without reapplication show us your "after" results. I may try this in the spring after my spring clean-up (polish, etc.) Thanks!

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tried to get in touch with wolfschemicals through [email protected], but got back error message
Try emailing Jesse: [email protected]

If you wind up testing the product for an extended period without reapplication show us your "after" results. I may try this in the spring after my spring clean-up (polish, etc.) Thanks!
Thats the point of the test for myself, but I will share the result :)

Sealant is still kicking ***, despite the car being driven through the grime and salt on the roads for the past weeks.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
As usual - fantastic informative write up Tiago :M5thumbs:

...in my case, someday, I'll have to consider something like that, Uh, if I get her out of the garage when it's cold and icky

;)

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As usual - fantastic informative write up Tiago :M5thumbs:

...in my case, someday, I'll have to consider something like that, Uh, if I get her out of the garage when it's cold and icky

;)
Thank you Mark :)

I know that you have the Zymöl Glassur, which for the mileage that you do and the conditions that you drive on, is absolutely perfect. However, for your Maxima, this is a product that I would sincerely consider and its only €20 something euros.

Reactions: thevintage
1 - 20 of 37 Posts